In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Technology

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by RCBS, Sep 29, 2026.

  1. RCBS

    RCBS

    Joined:
    Jan 22, 2016
    Messages:
    6,345
    Likes Received:
    31,653
    Location:
    Over here
    Am growing weary of it. Supposed to benefit me. Seems to only add burden with very little added benefit. The more of it we have, the more of it that is exploited. My life was very 'easy' in 1990, and far less complicated on the technology front than it is now.

    [​IMG]
     
  2. ReelFaster

    ReelFaster

    Joined:
    Dec 1, 2016
    Messages:
    2,880
    Likes Received:
    19,980
    Location:
    S.Jersey
    As with anything in life in IMO (Except Firewood) everything in moderation. Tech has it's place but society it seems is going overboard with it all and it's moving at a rapid pace.
     
  3. Eric Wanderweg

    Eric Wanderweg

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2020
    Messages:
    8,567
    Likes Received:
    67,913
    Location:
    Bristol, Connecticut
    It's a double edged sword for sure. Having a digital map of the planet in your pocket comes in handy, but having your every movement tracked is dystopian. How-to videos on YouTube have saved my backside more than a few times, but I hate having conversations with people and then my YouTube ads start pushing products and services related to the conversation I just had. Yeah, the 90s were a good decade. We had most of the modern comforts and freedoms without the extra baggage. Maybe that's why the matrix was set sometime in the late 90s... we were comfortable and docile, and so we accepted the programming :whistle:
     
  4. RCBS

    RCBS

    Joined:
    Jan 22, 2016
    Messages:
    6,345
    Likes Received:
    31,653
    Location:
    Over here
    I should have used 'uncomplicated' in place of 'easy'. The escalations are getting... complicated. I feel like while we are able to deal with it, we aren't built to.
     
  5. yooperdave

    yooperdave

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2014
    Messages:
    35,737
    Likes Received:
    224,558
    Location:
    Michigan's U.P.
  6. The Wood Wolverine

    The Wood Wolverine

    Joined:
    Aug 23, 2015
    Messages:
    18,864
    Likes Received:
    121,502
    Location:
    Gettysburg, PA
    Cell phone addiction is real, that’s for sure. I agree with you whole heartedly. Mother truckers listen in no matter what you do in settings. That does bother me. Your camera facing you also logs far more than you realize. With the ignition interlocks I’ve been doing for many years, we can fire up the ir camera that takes pictures when people do tests, if someone is in their vehicle looking at their phone, certain apps take infrared pics at an alarming rate. Completely invisible to the naked eye.
     
  7. T.Jeff Veal

    T.Jeff Veal

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2015
    Messages:
    29,561
    Likes Received:
    189,336
    Location:
    Country life, Ga
    Thus the need for all the data center explosions across the country...:mad::mad::(:(:hair::hair:...
     
  8. Chud

    Chud

    Joined:
    Aug 15, 2020
    Messages:
    7,268
    Likes Received:
    54,163
    Location:
    NC
    I have been at the same workplace going on 35yrs. One of my many observations of the younger generations is the race to get back to the phone. Work is just an annoyance and something to speed through to get back to the screen. I look around and see zombies anxiously taking their dope. The takeover is almost complete. They just need to wipe out the olds now.
     
  9. RCBS

    RCBS

    Joined:
    Jan 22, 2016
    Messages:
    6,345
    Likes Received:
    31,653
    Location:
    Over here
    Post related to a smart phone becoming my 'identity'. Frustrated with '3rd party verification', spam and whatnot.

    The cracks are beginning to form. One thing's for sure....I'm not amicable with whatever they have planned. I should specify that the phones are only a part of the tech that I am fed up with.

    This here is my new $20 'trash phone', for dealing with the e 'trash'. It's quite possible that it could become my primary in the future. :thumbs:
    1000005591.png

    It wouldn't be so bad if any of the new junk actually solved the old problems. Anyone got any idea why all these supercomputers cannot eliminate spam calls? If they cannot do that.... What is it that they *can do for me??? Oh right...make mini movies of cats dancing and stuff. Very helpful!
     
  10. The Wood Wolverine

    The Wood Wolverine

    Joined:
    Aug 23, 2015
    Messages:
    18,864
    Likes Received:
    121,502
    Location:
    Gettysburg, PA
    Soon they can “get you” with all kinds of services. Data safety, data usage, tracking management etc. As long as it’s catered to, the rich will keep getting richer and continue to gain more and more power, which has been too much for decades.
    Another issue with me is all these flock/tracking cameras. Privacy you say, what’s that??
     
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2026 at 7:54 AM
  11. brenndatomu

    brenndatomu

    Joined:
    May 29, 2015
    Messages:
    25,160
    Likes Received:
    163,556
    Location:
    NE Ohio
    I see it all the time when leaving work...just left their parking spots and driving down the road "catching up" on whatever they may have missed online since last checking in.
    You can tell when someone is looking at their phone in their lap while driving too...head up, eyes down...not a normal driving position...and I see it, a lot!
     
  12. ReelFaster

    ReelFaster

    Joined:
    Dec 1, 2016
    Messages:
    2,880
    Likes Received:
    19,980
    Location:
    S.Jersey
    The cell phone thing drives me nuts. I can't tell you how times the moron is front of me or next to me is sitting at the green light looking down at their phone. I am talking all ages, it's infuriating and sad at the same time that it's that important they can't sit a red light for 2 minutes without checking their phone or who like their post.

    One good thing here in NJ is the bi-partisan push to ban cell phone use during the school day. The feedback so far has been great, even from kids. They don't feel the pressure to check their phones all day and see who liked their post or worse who's posting negative crap about them during the day that everyone else see's.
     
  13. brenndatomu

    brenndatomu

    Joined:
    May 29, 2015
    Messages:
    25,160
    Likes Received:
    163,556
    Location:
    NE Ohio
    Ohio just did that starting Jan 1 of this year...big thumbs up from me! :yes::yes:
     
  14. ReelFaster

    ReelFaster

    Joined:
    Dec 1, 2016
    Messages:
    2,880
    Likes Received:
    19,980
    Location:
    S.Jersey
    Nice! and agreed, this a good thing hopefully all states implement it.

    There is also talk stemming from several studies about removing the 1:1 device initiative where students are issued a computer device and take it home to do work. Talks of too much screen time and now keeping the devices in the buildings not to go home and only used during the school day. Don't think that one will as much as an impact as kids will substitute screen time with something else but I like the thought process and bi-partisan thought on it. Finally something we can all agree on. :yes:
     
  15. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,799
    Likes Received:
    215,293
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut
    I agree. I hate it.

    She had an auto upgrade to AI? on her smart phone and it messed it up. She's been so stressed trying to figure stuff out. Glad I don't own one. New cars are computerson wheels it seems.

    Of crap, I sound like my parents!!! :picard:
     
  16. FortySix&Two

    FortySix&Two

    Joined:
    Sep 25, 2026
    Messages:
    7
    Likes Received:
    56
    Location:
    Charlton, NY
    I still don't own a cell phone and will hold out as long as I can. Still drive my 2008 Jeep that doesn't even have navigation in it. I drive my wife's car and get extrmemly annoyed at all the technology in it. Still listen to cd's but I do find streaming music to be beneficial. Eventually I'll get into vinyl, just need a dedicated audio room which will hopefully materialize when I retire.
     
  17. RCBS

    RCBS

    Joined:
    Jan 22, 2016
    Messages:
    6,345
    Likes Received:
    31,653
    Location:
    Over here
    There are TV screens on gas pumps now. That's how short everyone's attention spans are. An entire society with ADHD. What's on the screens? Nothing to help you, just stuff you can buy.

    On phone use in cars...I take it personally. What? You're such a good driver that you can do it without using full attention? That's nice Mr. Andretti, but I'd really rather you pay attention to the traffic and show your fellow drivers some Courtesy.
     
  18. ReelFaster

    ReelFaster

    Joined:
    Dec 1, 2016
    Messages:
    2,880
    Likes Received:
    19,980
    Location:
    S.Jersey
    With you 100%. And you nailed with the attention span, everyone has the attention span of a goldfish these days. Lot of social media is engineered that way, triggering a rush of dopamine. YouTube shorts, tik tok, snap chat, you name it. Kids get this rush from how many likes or views they've gotten. If you ever listen to some teen conversations, you'll hear "how many likes did it get"? Scary sad!

    Just take some of the news stories we've gotten over the past 4-6yrs and longer. If some of it happened 25yrs ago it would be front page news talked about for a month. Today, nobody bats an eye......meh, onto the next story......
     
  19. FortySix&Two

    FortySix&Two

    Joined:
    Sep 25, 2026
    Messages:
    7
    Likes Received:
    56
    Location:
    Charlton, NY
    I love how texting while driving is bad (and it is very much so) but let's put a 19" hi-def TV screen in every vehicle and make control everything in the car! Yeah, that's safe!
     
  20. RCBS

    RCBS

    Joined:
    Jan 22, 2016
    Messages:
    6,345
    Likes Received:
    31,653
    Location:
    Over here
    :)