$3600, it could be worse. Hope that doesn't dip into your vacation $$. Looks like you need a bigger stack next year.
Rusty chassis is the reason I upgraded from my white Ford ( you’ve all seen pictures of it). The spring shackles/ hangers are what had me worried. But $3600 to repair something that rusty don’t sound like the best solution to me. I gave $2242.70 for its replacement plus $850 to have it shipped from Spencer Iowa
I don’t know when you bought last but there are very few options under $10k and who knows what other problems I would be inheriting with a “new” used vehicle.
Can I ask what the repair entails? Problem with rust, as you know, it gets everywhere and little to no way to stop it. Would hate to see you put good money after bad. I kind of got lucky and got a southern truck and had it undercoated as soon as I got it. Granted well over 10k but hope it's the last truck I ever buy.
This is the part that scares me about the dump trucks that fit into my budget. I'm looking for 4x4, so most all of them have done 'snow duty' and are less than optimal underneath.
Welding a sister plate on it once he got it back in line. I don't know this guy personally but my normal every day welder highly recommended him. Only reason my normal welder didn't want to take it on was lacking equipment to hoist up the bed. Living in the northeast, this is just part of owning older equipment.
Ad states truck has rust in all caps. How bad is it? How much will I have to replace and how soon? Also, I didn't mention this before but my truck is a 12' stakebody capable of holding 2 cords so I would be looking for an equal replacement. I have looked quite a bit and there just aren't options that even seem worth looking at in person.
At least the chassis frame should be a lil easier to weld up/reinforce than a F350 pickup frame. If they do a good job, it'll be stronger than original. My nephew works a heavy truck repair shop and he says they do work like that on heavy trucks pretty often
When I was looking it was difficult to find a used truck that checked all my boxes. I would have had to get new or everything’s rust. Ideally I would have gotten a 10-12’ bed , but that meant a payment more than my mortgage, or no rockers, see through floorboards and orange frame.
You could always sell it as is........ Someone would buy it! https://youtube.com/shorts/MVGYi7GQjkM?si=1ch8SKFJ9MXH2ILW
Doesn't look good. As rusty as that looks I'd be afraid it will just find the next weakest point and break there again. How many times are you going to throw $3600 at it?
My answer would be once then a new frame is about 5,ooo plus labor to put it in… Regardless 85% of farm vehicles (no inspection registration within 50 miles farm) look similar on larger property called a yard truck, not road worthy but useful in hauling wood, plowing and such on 50+ acre property how country kids learn how to drive
Oh, I know. We had plenty of farm trucks that weren't registered and I was behind the wheel at 11 or 12. But, this isn't one of those....yet. Sounds like he's in it for commercial use.
Worse case scenario, you get it through this winter with the repair and then make a decision what to do then. Hope the repair holds up for you in the mean time. Nice to have someone reputable doing the work for you. I can’t blame you for wanting to invest in what you have. You know everything about that truck, and a newer one could come with unknowns. Impressive you can get 2 cords on it! Mine hauls one cord at a time, and that feels like a lot! Good luck to you!