Time for a new thread since Summer is over. Cut my first truckload of the season yesterday. Honey hole I've cut from and low on the priority scale to get back there. Load of mostly elm and cottonwood with some dead Norway maple topping it off. I split most of it today save for a few elm rounds as I ran out of patience as some were rather stringy. Bark had loosened on most of the elm. Some for bundle inventory, some general cordage, some dead wood and a bit for pit wood. Older pic (mid May) when I first cut there. They added more logs June/July. Probably 3-4 more loads to cut here. I may cut another load before the Noreaster hits as mud will hinder access since I have to back up a hill on a new construction lot.
Older picture that I copy pasted from an earlier thread. Pic is from May before forum had the problem with photos.
I can participate in this one! Not yet though. Soon. Gotta get up on shed roof this weekend among other non wood making junk needing done.
Ah yes, it's that time again. I ran a tank of fresh fuel through my dolkita last weekend. I cut up the pine and ash that I collected over summer. About a face cord. Now I gotta get the splitter running. Stupid linkage that I never got right in the Tecumseh after getting the carb rebuilt. It pulls over, runs briefly on primer. It's just the choke / governor that needs to be hooked up right.
Looking good Brad. No new wood here, haven't even talked to my tree fairy lately. Need to fire up the splitter soon as well and clean up the mess in my yard.
Hoping to join you on some fall firewood work soon. Dad’s friend is wanting some more trees removed. Fingers crossed I can get some trigger time. I’m itching to run the oe372 Eric sent me.
Hit the same score again later yesterday. I wanted to beat the rain incoming from the Noreaster. 50/50 mix of cottonwood and Norway maple. Half cord load. Hoping for a lull tomorrow so I can split some or at least unload it. Still MOTS at the score. Probably will leave most of the wood in the OP pic as its been there since Spring and is sitting on grade...muddy and loose cottonwood bark...yuck. Still a couple decent loads from the logs that were added. Problem is they are in back of the pile and some work to get them out. Some scores are more work than others. Well it is what it is. May check out a local FBM find tomorrow. Hickory from the looks of it. Have a cut at another honey hole next week. Dead sugar maple take down.
Sure is nice to cut wood in a long sleeve shirt and not get too hot. If only the chaps had a built in fan…
I mean… there’s no rule saying you have to wear pants under your chainsaw chaps That’s my biggest gripe about wearing them too. You get overheated fast in the warmer weather with them on.
I’m no Mr. Safety myself when it comes down to putting them on. If it’s a big job with a lot of cutting then usually I’ll wear them. For half a dozen rounds I don’t bother. I always carry a tourniquet with me as a backup…
Work boots, long pants, and hearing protection SOP for me. I do have the helmet with face shield and hearing protection ive worn at my Disney cut. Does get uncomfortable after a while. Ill usually wear it when felling too. No touniquit, wads of napkins usually work for "bad" wounds IME
I’m 50/50 on if I like chaps or not but I wear them. It does keep the chips off the clothes so I don’t have to clean the washing machine out. Otherwise yes, a bit uncomfortable and hot!
I had my 'opener' yesterday. Got 3-4 more HL stems to get yet. Then I'll start in on the big Bitternut. Cool and breezy but the sweat was flowing pretty good.