In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Any Bird watchers here?

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Interests' started by metalcuttr, Nov 1, 2021.

  1. Knothead

    Knothead

    Joined:
    Mar 4, 2015
    Messages:
    2,130
    Likes Received:
    17,442
    Location:
    East Texas
    A Tri -colored Heron taken this summer at the Jocelyn Nungaray NWR in coastal East Texas.

    upload_2026-9-16_16-54-7.png
     
    wildwest, bogieb, RCBS and 7 others like this.
  2. Knothead

    Knothead

    Joined:
    Mar 4, 2015
    Messages:
    2,130
    Likes Received:
    17,442
    Location:
    East Texas
  3. sms4life

    sms4life

    Joined:
    Dec 17, 2023
    Messages:
    502
    Likes Received:
    4,356
    Location:
    Michigan
    I think my hummingbird has headed south. Haven't seen her since Saturday. Weird that we usually have just 1 that hangs around the yard most years.
     
    wildwest, bogieb, RCBS and 3 others like this.
  4. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,873
    Likes Received:
    215,743
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut
    I think the same here. Hasn't been seen at the feeder in several days. Doesn't seem to bother the downy woodpeckers that like the nectar.:picard:

    Not sure how soon the suet feeder will replace it. Activity on the seed feeder has been slow in the last few weeks. Plenty of other food around for them I guess.
     
    wildwest, bogieb, RCBS and 3 others like this.
  5. sms4life

    sms4life

    Joined:
    Dec 17, 2023
    Messages:
    502
    Likes Received:
    4,356
    Location:
    Michigan
    I put suet out on Saturday. I noticed they went through a lot more seed last week than the few weeks prior.
     
  6. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,873
    Likes Received:
    215,743
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut
    When busy the feeder gets filled every day and a half it seems. Its been 3-4 days as of late. Squirrels have been scarce too.
     
    bogieb, metalcuttr, MikeInMa and 2 others like this.
  7. MikeInMa

    MikeInMa

    Joined:
    Dec 4, 2016
    Messages:
    15,887
    Likes Received:
    115,149
    Location:
    Southern Worcester county
    I took down the hummingbird feeders yesterday. Gave them a bath in hot water and a gurgle of bleach. Now to put them where I'll remember come next spring.

    There's still the flocks of starlings and grackles to pass through. I might put out some suet next week, after the storm passes. There's plenty of natural stuff available. Berries, and such. I've watched finches land on coneflower heads, picking out seeds.
     
  8. Burnin Since 1991

    Burnin Since 1991

    Joined:
    Nov 2, 2025
    Messages:
    422
    Likes Received:
    3,213
    Location:
    Concord River Valley, Massachusetts, USA
    This time of year the hummingbird feeders become yellow jacket feeders. Taking mine down tomorrow.
     
  9. Knothead

    Knothead

    Joined:
    Mar 4, 2015
    Messages:
    2,130
    Likes Received:
    17,442
    Location:
    East Texas
    The little hummingbirds are back in my area in large numbers. I'm filling the feeders up twice a day.

    upload_2026-9-24_16-59-12.png

    upload_2026-9-24_17-1-25.png
     
    bogieb, metalcuttr, RCBS and 5 others like this.
  10. RCBS

    RCBS

    Joined:
    Jan 22, 2016
    Messages:
    6,387
    Likes Received:
    31,929
    Location:
    Over here
    It's Thunderdome at my feeders every day in summer. Have watched one literally sit and guard the feeders from a perch 30 feet away. I like the little squeaks they make. Funny how territorial they get over an essentially endless food supply. Took them down last weekend after not seeing any for a week.
     
    bogieb, sms4life, Knothead and 4 others like this.
  11. Knothead

    Knothead

    Joined:
    Mar 4, 2015
    Messages:
    2,130
    Likes Received:
    17,442
    Location:
    East Texas
    Strange and unidentified migrating birds made their way to the watering hole today. :D

    upload_2026-9-25_14-6-44.jpeg
     
    wildwest, bogieb, metalcuttr and 6 others like this.
  12. MikeInMa

    MikeInMa

    Joined:
    Dec 4, 2016
    Messages:
    15,887
    Likes Received:
    115,149
    Location:
    Southern Worcester county
    Prehistoric looking, even.
     
  13. Knothead

    Knothead

    Joined:
    Mar 4, 2015
    Messages:
    2,130
    Likes Received:
    17,442
    Location:
    East Texas
    An Eastern Bluebird taken at the birdbath this morning

    upload_2026-9-26_17-43-10.png
     
  14. RCBS

    RCBS

    Joined:
    Jan 22, 2016
    Messages:
    6,387
    Likes Received:
    31,929
    Location:
    Over here
    No pics, but I think one of these is living in the pine tree on the river lot. Noticed the calling yesterday while relaxing a bit and recalled hearing it regularly from that tree. I'll keep a closer eye now.

    [​IMG]
     
  15. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,873
    Likes Received:
    215,743
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut
    Hard to not notice as they can be very vocal.
     
    wildwest, bogieb, metalcuttr and 3 others like this.
  16. JoeyD

    JoeyD

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    251
    Likes Received:
    1,426
    I've been seeing this hawk around here for a couple months now. This might help explain why my seed cylinders have been lasting so long this year.

    hawk3.jpg
     
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2026
  17. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,873
    Likes Received:
    215,743
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut
    Seed eaters are not the only birds we're feeding. Sadly we've seen them dive and swipe birds and possibly chipmunks here usually with a racket and commotion near the feeder. I've also found clumps of feathers in the yard. Found a headless titmouse carcass in the yard the other day too.

    Our feeder has been slow to empty the last month or two. Probably due to plentiful other food sources around...nuts, seeds etc. The hummingbird feeder will come down this week. Dunno if she wants the suet put back up yet.
     
  18. Knothead

    Knothead

    Joined:
    Mar 4, 2015
    Messages:
    2,130
    Likes Received:
    17,442
    Location:
    East Texas
    Heads up birders, this weekend will be the perfect time to hit the trails. Not only will the weather be great, but a new wave of birds is expected. The bird highway and weather pattern is perfect to bring the highest migration activity in the country right overhead on Friday night as we get behind the cold front. You can help by turning off those outdoor lights on big migration nights like Friday night.

    upload_2026-9-30_15-1-43.jpeg
     
  19. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,873
    Likes Received:
    215,743
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut
    Id hate to be the poor guy that counts them!
     
  20. Burnin Since 1991

    Burnin Since 1991

    Joined:
    Nov 2, 2025
    Messages:
    422
    Likes Received:
    3,213
    Location:
    Concord River Valley, Massachusetts, USA
    Funny, I was out in the yard this afternoon. Saw a red headed woodpecker and a pair of quail pecking around but a gang of sparrows were about. Must of been 15 of them. I don't have any feeders up until the weather changes.

    On another note, a neighbor about a mile away caught a bobcat on his camera system a few days ago. I saw the picture. It was for sure a bobcat. Never seen one in my life. It was a residential area.