In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Gardening Flowers & Foliage

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Interests' started by bogieb, Jun 24, 2018.

  1. T.Jeff Veal

    T.Jeff Veal

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2015
    Messages:
    29,482
    Likes Received:
    188,724
    Location:
    Country life, Ga
    Late bloomer azalea 20260905_170341.jpg
    This is a big native plant we let grow next to the beauty spot 20260905_170427.jpg
    Ya'll know what it is? 20260905_170440.jpg
    I do...
     
    Knothead, Eric VW, wildwest and 6 others like this.
  2. bogieb

    bogieb

    Joined:
    Mar 30, 2015
    Messages:
    12,554
    Likes Received:
    76,361
    Location:
    New Hampshire
    Those are a beautiful purple, are they Beauty Berries? (Note, actually impressed with myself that the name immediately came to mind). Never seen one of those in person, only pictures - and they tend to "touch up" pictures to make them more visually appealing to customers so I was really skeptical.
     
    Knothead, Eric VW, wildwest and 5 others like this.
  3. T.Jeff Veal

    T.Jeff Veal

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2015
    Messages:
    29,482
    Likes Received:
    188,724
    Location:
    Country life, Ga
    Yes ma'am, American Beauty Berry. They are very prevalent down here. Birds and deer love them.
     
    Knothead, Eric VW, wildwest and 5 others like this.
  4. Woodwidow

    Woodwidow

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    15,504
    Likes Received:
    95,475
    Location:
    Port McNeill, BC Northern Vancouver Island
    I looked it up as I have never heard nor seen them before. Jam or jelly making but not ate raw as they can cause stomach upsets.
     
    Knothead, Eric VW, wildwest and 5 others like this.
  5. MikeInMa

    MikeInMa

    Joined:
    Dec 4, 2016
    Messages:
    15,835
    Likes Received:
    114,680
    Location:
    Southern Worcester county
    Winter berries ripened recently

    IMG_20260908_102202.jpg

    IMG_20260908_102151.jpg
     
    metalcuttr, Knothead, bogieb and 6 others like this.
  6. T.Jeff Veal

    T.Jeff Veal

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2015
    Messages:
    29,482
    Likes Received:
    188,724
    Location:
    Country life, Ga
    metalcuttr, Knothead, Eric VW and 2 others like this.
  7. Knothead

    Knothead

    Joined:
    Mar 4, 2015
    Messages:
    2,125
    Likes Received:
    17,411
    Location:
    East Texas
  8. Eric Wanderweg

    Eric Wanderweg

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2020
    Messages:
    8,548
    Likes Received:
    67,735
    Location:
    Bristol, Connecticut
    It’s always amazed me how an insect of that size could cover that much ground in such a relatively short period of time.
     
    Eric VW, metalcuttr, EODMSgt and 5 others like this.
  9. T.Jeff Veal

    T.Jeff Veal

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2015
    Messages:
    29,482
    Likes Received:
    188,724
    Location:
    Country life, Ga
    Yep. And it amazes me how a hummingbird can fly across the Gulf too.
     
    Eric VW, bogieb, metalcuttr and 4 others like this.
  10. Eric Wanderweg

    Eric Wanderweg

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2020
    Messages:
    8,548
    Likes Received:
    67,735
    Location:
    Bristol, Connecticut
    This is kind of a neat find. In the woods that I manage behind my house, I’ve been pulling out all sorts of undesirables over the years. In the beginning it was mostly invasives, but now with the added sunlight I’m also pulling out young trees regularly. I’m trying to keep the woods bright and open for native flowers. Today while I was pulling out dozens of yellow birch seedlings, I came across this one that looked different. I’m pretty sure that it’s a white birch. The seed that started it must’ve blown in from quite a ways away, since the nearest one growing to me is more than 1,000 feet away. Too bad it sprouted in the woods, but I may try digging it up and transplanting it to an open location. I love the look of these trees in every season.
    IMG_6555.jpeg
     
    Eric VW, EODMSgt, metalcuttr and 5 others like this.
  11. MikeInMa

    MikeInMa

    Joined:
    Dec 4, 2016
    Messages:
    15,835
    Likes Received:
    114,680
    Location:
    Southern Worcester county
    The "picture this" app calls it --

    Screenshot_20260917_204124_PictureThis.jpg

    Turns out the app thinks it's also---

    Screenshot_20260917_204607_PictureThis.jpg

    Screenshot_20260917_204612_PictureThis.jpg
     
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2026
    Eric VW, EODMSgt, metalcuttr and 3 others like this.
  12. Eric Wanderweg

    Eric Wanderweg

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2020
    Messages:
    8,548
    Likes Received:
    67,735
    Location:
    Bristol, Connecticut
    I was conflicted about whether it was gray or white (paper) birch myself. I guess I won’t know for sure until it gets larger. The nearest gray birch to me is closer than the nearest white birch is, so there’s that too.
     
    Eric VW, EODMSgt, bogieb and 4 others like this.
  13. MikeInMa

    MikeInMa

    Joined:
    Dec 4, 2016
    Messages:
    15,835
    Likes Received:
    114,680
    Location:
    Southern Worcester county
    The times they are a-changing

    Forsythia is turning yellow
    IMG_20260920_085642.jpg

    The ever invasive wild New England asters.
    IMG_20260920_085648.jpg

    Black Birch joining the yellow club
    IMG_20260920_085716.jpg

    The spent hydrangea flowers still look nice, in an Autumn kind of way
    IMG_20260920_085744.jpg
     
  14. MikeInMa

    MikeInMa

    Joined:
    Dec 4, 2016
    Messages:
    15,835
    Likes Received:
    114,680
    Location:
    Southern Worcester county
  15. Knothead

    Knothead

    Joined:
    Mar 4, 2015
    Messages:
    2,125
    Likes Received:
    17,411
    Location:
    East Texas
  16. EODMSgt

    EODMSgt

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2020
    Messages:
    1,822
    Likes Received:
    16,240
    Location:
    White Mountain Region, NH
    First frost warning was for last night so I went out yesterday evening and picked the apples from my fledging mini orchard. Out of 15 apple and two plum trees in various stages of growth, 4 apple trees had at least some production. I ended up with 149 golden delicious (43 from one tree and 106 from another), 5 red delicious, and 1 lonely granny smith. Only one apple had any kind of rot. Even though these are dwarf trees, I still had to break out a step ladder to pick the top apples. Pleased with the harvest. Time to start baking. (Note: the trees that produced were 4 of the 6 oldest fruit trees I planted; they were about three-feet tall when they went in the ground back in 2020.)

    20260922_175755 2.jpg
     
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2026 at 4:00 PM
    Woodwidow, metalcuttr, bogieb and 4 others like this.
  17. bogieb

    bogieb

    Joined:
    Mar 30, 2015
    Messages:
    12,554
    Likes Received:
    76,361
    Location:
    New Hampshire
    Those look tasty!