In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Burried Treasure!

Discussion in 'The Smokehouse' started by Grizzly Adam, Sep 13, 2014.

  1. Grizzly Adam

    Grizzly Adam Guest

    Making a country wine. Got a recipe from a friend who wishes to remain nameless, just fill jars with apple scraps (we plan to use peels from making apple sauce) and cover with sweet water (2 cups sugar per gallon of water). Close up and burry below the frost line, dig up on Memorial Day!

    image.jpg
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2014
    splitoak, Chvymn99, basod and 3 others like this.
  2. fishingpol

    fishingpol

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    6,502
    Likes Received:
    39,646
    Location:
    Merrimack Valley, Ma.
    I've heard of choke cherry wine being made in a similar way.
     
    Chvymn99 and Grizzly Adam like this.
  3. Grizzly Adam

    Grizzly Adam Guest

    I got a quart of it this spring and it was really good.
     
  4. fishingpol

    fishingpol

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    6,502
    Likes Received:
    39,646
    Location:
    Merrimack Valley, Ma.
    Made the same way by burying it?
     
  5. Grizzly Adam

    Grizzly Adam Guest

    Yep, same recipe.
     
  6. fishingpol

    fishingpol

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    6,502
    Likes Received:
    39,646
    Location:
    Merrimack Valley, Ma.
    Interesting thread. I am pretty intrigued. I imagine this would work in a cool quiet corner of my basement? I have a decent compost area with real soft soil for easy digging. Do you need to seal the cap with wax? Do you process the peels into a mash?
     
  7. Grizzly Adam

    Grizzly Adam Guest

    No processing, want to use all the natural yeasts. I am told it really doesn't need to be buried, just needs to stay cool and out of light. Sealing with wax wouldn't hurt, I am going to wrap some duct tape around the seal just to keep the dirt away.
     
    Chvymn99 and papadave like this.
  8. fishingpol

    fishingpol

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    6,502
    Likes Received:
    39,646
    Location:
    Merrimack Valley, Ma.
    Good info, thanks Adam. I think I will try it too. I don't want to delve too deep in beer or wine making. This sounds about as much involvement as I want to get into.
     
    Well Seasoned likes this.
  9. Grizzly Adam

    Grizzly Adam Guest

    I am going to make a big carboy of wine and probably another of apple wine this fall. Just got the rest of my supplies in.
     
    Chvymn99 and fishingpol like this.
  10. Daryl

    Daryl

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    2,164
    Likes Received:
    4,239
    My German/Swiss country relatives used to make berry wines. Is this how they would do it? I was only a kid and they have all since passed away.
     
  11. Grizzly Adam

    Grizzly Adam Guest

    There are two ways to go about making wine-- natural yeast (this method) or kill natural yeast and add a cultivated one.
     
  12. fishingpol

    fishingpol

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    6,502
    Likes Received:
    39,646
    Location:
    Merrimack Valley, Ma.
    Is there a specific amount of apple peels that need to go in per gallon?
     
  13. Grizzly Adam

    Grizzly Adam Guest

    Just stuff whatever container as full as you can get it and pour sweet water over it. You aren't necessarily going to get exactly a gallon.
     
  14. Chvymn99

    Chvymn99 Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    21,502
    Likes Received:
    113,900
    Location:
    KC Metro
    :drool:.... This sounds intriguing....pics and more details, please. Or do I just google "country wine" or "choke cherry wine"?

    I'll have to check out tonight....:popcorn:
     
  15. Grizzly Adam

    Grizzly Adam Guest

    I will snap some more pics when I get more apples processed and am ready to bury the both of them.
     
    Chvymn99, splitoak and papadave like this.
  16. Chvymn99

    Chvymn99 Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    21,502
    Likes Received:
    113,900
    Location:
    KC Metro
    Any update to this? Further explanation, even if by PM...my apples are ready, I'd like to try this. Thanks..:thumbs:
     
  17. Grizzly Adam

    Grizzly Adam Guest

    Nothing more to tell, first post tells the whole story. I have put them three feet deep and will dig them up on Memorial Day.
     
  18. Chvymn99

    Chvymn99 Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    21,502
    Likes Received:
    113,900
    Location:
    KC Metro
    Really, wow...I just figured there would be more to it than that...Ok, Thanks Adam...
     
  19. Grizzly Adam

    Grizzly Adam Guest

    Maybe put a board over jugs or jars so you don't break them with the shovel.
     
    Chvymn99 likes this.
  20. Chvymn99

    Chvymn99 Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    21,502
    Likes Received:
    113,900
    Location:
    KC Metro
    Well, got enough apples picked off the tree. I made two bottles, they are in beer fermination fridge until I can get a hole made. Plus I've got a Stawberry Vodka infusion going on in there.
     

    Attached Files:

    OhioStihl, milleo and Grizzly Adam like this.