In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Work 4 Sunday

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by thewoodlands, Sep 27, 2014.

  1. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    I can't throw a rope that high. I'm hoping we get some wind gust tonight and tomorrow that will bring it down, if not, it should be down by next weekend.
     
    Shawn Curry and Well Seasoned like this.
  2. Locust Post

    Locust Post

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    8,950
    Likes Received:
    52,503
    Location:
    N. E. OH
    slingshot ?
     
    thewoodlands likes this.
  3. Well Seasoned

    Well Seasoned Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,038
    Likes Received:
    83,789
    Location:
    N.H. WMNF
    Are you getting wind with this cold front? Amazing here, just a few days, leaves really changing and falling. The rain will help the leaves fall too.
     
  4. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    Not any wind at all, just some rain at the moment which isn't real heavy.

    We lost a chit load of leaves just from yesterday.
     
    Shawn Curry and Well Seasoned like this.
  5. Shawn Curry

    Shawn Curry

    Joined:
    Jul 31, 2014
    Messages:
    3,755
    Likes Received:
    22,702
    Location:
    Western NY
    Do you have anything to use specifically as a 'throw line'? Pick up some 550 paracord and a few big washers next time you're in HD or Lowes. Tie the washers to the end of the cord, get the end spinning like a sling, and you can really launch it. Like David and Goliath! Once its up there, you tie whatever rope or cabling you want to hoist up there to the other end, and pull her up.
     
  6. Loon

    Loon

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    6,560
    Likes Received:
    37,138
    Location:
    North of the border
    Just buy one of these woodlands. :D

     
  7. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    I finally brought this down late this afternoon, it did some damage to the tree holding it when it cut loose so I dropped that tree then it started raining hard so I headed home.

    Once I get the stuff that's down bucked up, I'll drop what's standing in picture 0214.
     

    Attached Files:

    Shawn Curry and papadave like this.
  8. papadave

    papadave

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,181
    Likes Received:
    82,470
    Location:
    Right where I want to be.
    Or hit it a couple more times with the scattergun. That's gotta' be more funner than a cable.:rootintootin:
     
  9. papadave

    papadave

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,181
    Likes Received:
    82,470
    Location:
    Right where I want to be.
    zap beat me to it.
     
    thewoodlands likes this.
  10. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    I'm glad it's down, the shoulder was taking a beating!
     
    papadave likes this.
  11. Well Seasoned

    Well Seasoned Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,038
    Likes Received:
    83,789
    Location:
    N.H. WMNF
    Nice work Woody!
     
    thewoodlands likes this.
  12. Fanatical1

    Fanatical1

    Joined:
    Feb 10, 2014
    Messages:
    2,688
    Likes Received:
    12,293
    Location:
    Ohio
    What's your favorite saw these days?

    Stihl, Reminton, Husqvarna or Winchester.... :saw::rofl: :lol:
     
    thewoodlands likes this.
  13. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    :saw::rootintootin:
     
    Well Seasoned and Fanatical1 like this.
  14. redneckdan

    redneckdan

    Joined:
    Sep 14, 2014
    Messages:
    623
    Likes Received:
    1,789
    Location:
    Northern Minnesota
    On my phone I can not really tell how well connected the top was to the remaining tree.

    I had a similar situation this summer. First I rigged a cable up high using a painters stick. I notched away from the hanger, then bias back cut until I got a bit of wiggle. Then backed up and applied tension with come along until the remaining hinge gave way. The top was still connected enough that the falling trunk yanked it out of the other tree. Unfortunately no pictures. I tend to get so involved in a job I forget to stop and document...
     
    thewoodlands and Shawn Curry like this.