In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Johnstown PA: processed locust $150 for 1.5 cords

Discussion in 'The Wood Market' started by BrianK, Oct 1, 2014.

  1. BrianK

    BrianK

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    3,108
    Likes Received:
    11,113
    Location:
    West central PA
    A local tree service just offered me processed locust firewood for $150 to load my 6'x16' trailer with 2' sides, about 1.5 cords.

    Good deal?

    (I haven't even started a chainsaw this year due to work commitments and health issues but I already have enough wood CSS for the next two seasons, maybe three.)
     
    My IS heats my home likes this.
  2. milleo

    milleo

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    2,317
    Likes Received:
    9,212
    Location:
    Maine
    Great deal in my book....
     
    My IS heats my home likes this.
  3. coal reaper

    coal reaper

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    1,138
    Likes Received:
    2,969
    Location:
    Nj
    if i could get hardwood at that price i would buy it, let alone locust!
     
  4. Blue Vomit

    Blue Vomit

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2013
    Messages:
    287
    Likes Received:
    849
    Location:
    MD via PA
    $100 a cord for processed locust?
    Take it all. Quickly.
    See if they have any more.
    Worst case scenario you can just dump it somewhere in your yard and stack at your leisure. Its not gonna rot anytime soon.
    Better yet, keep it until february and sell it for $200
     
    coal reaper likes this.
  5. Paul bunion

    Paul bunion

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    3,396
    Likes Received:
    13,524
    Location:
    NJ
    About the only shortcoming could be it being the spiny variety. If processed means cut to uniform length and split there is no way the tree service is making money from you on that deal.
     
  6. HDRock

    HDRock

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    17,262
    Likes Received:
    60,487
    Location:
    Grand Blanc, MI,
    Sounds like a good deal to me, About a hundred dollars cheaper than 1.5 cord of hard wood around here , all oak goes fore more
     
  7. BrianK

    BrianK

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    3,108
    Likes Received:
    11,113
    Location:
    West central PA
    Thanks all. I thought it sounded good, almost too good. I'm picking up the first load next week. If its a decent load, all locust and processed in usable sizes I'll probably buy several loads at that price.
     
  8. Locust Post

    Locust Post

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    8,950
    Likes Received:
    52,503
    Location:
    N. E. OH
    At that price for locust I'd get the first load tomorrow morning and the second load tomorrow evening :yes::tree:
     
  9. BrianK

    BrianK

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    3,108
    Likes Received:
    11,113
    Location:
    West central PA
    I'm going to be on the road all weekend. My daughter is a freshman in college and this is parents' weekend.

    Fortunately her college is in eastern Ohio and I can sneak away for a while on Saturday to join the festivities at the GTG at Dexters.
     
    My IS heats my home likes this.
  10. Jon1270

    Jon1270

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    1,886
    Likes Received:
    4,543
    Location:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    What school?
     
  11. BrianK

    BrianK

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    3,108
    Likes Received:
    11,113
    Location:
    West central PA
    Franciscan University of Steubenville. She's majoring in English, writing and Theology.
     
    My IS heats my home likes this.
  12. Jon1270

    Jon1270

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    1,886
    Likes Received:
    4,543
    Location:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Neat combination.
     
    BrianK likes this.
  13. Locust Post

    Locust Post

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    8,950
    Likes Received:
    52,503
    Location:
    N. E. OH
    Yes I remember you saying that in the GTG thread now, just poking fun Brian. That is a good price for locust and the stuff lasts forever no matter how you store it. Unfortunatly I won't make it to this GTG even though it not terribly far away, I'm blowing attic insulation this Saturday and starting small group back up.
     
    BrianK likes this.
  14. My IS heats my home

    My IS heats my home

    Joined:
    Dec 1, 2013
    Messages:
    7,394
    Likes Received:
    17,655
    Location:
    Albany, NH
    Jumping in late Brian, I agree with everyone else, it's a great price for what is offered. Good thing your ahead, this should help you out and keep you ahead.
     
    BrianK likes this.
  15. BrianK

    BrianK

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    3,108
    Likes Received:
    11,113
    Location:
    West central PA
    Thanks. She's a bright kid and at 19 is already a better writer than I am. I've been writing occasionally for various Catholic periodicals for almost 20 years and she wants to do it for a living.
     
    milleo likes this.