In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Need Help to I.D.

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by firecracker_77, Oct 1, 2014.

  1. firecracker_77

    firecracker_77

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    2,481
    Likes Received:
    3,606
    Location:
    IL
    DSC00402.JPG

    Friend had this tree branch in his yard that fell I believe. He trailered it over to me yesterday. Spent 2 hours today splitting with my Gransfors maul along with a bunch of ash. Everything I have is now split. The pile has a strong pungent odor from all the fresh split wood. It's definitely oak, but I think it has to be red oak given how easy it was to split. Interior of splits is white on the edge and very dark red / brown in the middle. Any thoughts are appreciated as to what type of oak these rounds were.
     
  2. bigbarf48

    bigbarf48

    Joined:
    Sep 25, 2014
    Messages:
    2,344
    Likes Received:
    4,702
    Location:
    Stone Mountain, GA
    Looks and sounds like red oak from here
     
  3. firecracker_77

    firecracker_77

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    2,481
    Likes Received:
    3,606
    Location:
    IL
    Red Oak is about perfect in my opinion. Heavy splits and more or less straight grain. Splits easy and should put out some decent btu. I won't touch this until late winter even though I know of the 3 year rule. I split fairly small tonight, so I think it will dry quicker.
     
  4. bigbarf48

    bigbarf48

    Joined:
    Sep 25, 2014
    Messages:
    2,344
    Likes Received:
    4,702
    Location:
    Stone Mountain, GA
    Yep, really easy to split. Even split small, it probably won't be great any time this winter. But you gotta do what you gotta do :yes:
     
    Chvymn99, dutch and Scotty Overkill like this.
  5. firecracker_77

    firecracker_77

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    2,481
    Likes Received:
    3,606
    Location:
    IL
    I have about 4 cord now. I'm going to split another 2 small maples that I cut last month and we're going to get 6 more ash trees. I think I will manage even with less than perfect wood given that I'll have a lot of cords for this year. Normally, I'm 3-4 a season. I may need 5 with the less than perfect wood. I have another 3 or 4 thirty-six inch white oak stumps to trim up that should yield about 750-1,000 pounds. I'll certainly have enough weight even if it isn't at ideal moisture content. I can mix the maple in with the hardwood. Maple drops it's moisture quickly.
     
  6. Scotty Overkill

    Scotty Overkill Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2013
    Messages:
    9,777
    Likes Received:
    66,332
    Location:
    Central PA
    That's definately red oak, the bark and description are a dead giveaway.

    In terms of seasoning, red oak is probably the slowest wood to season...it takes 2 to 3 years to be optimal. Now, split small, it may season a LITTLE faster but it's still gonna be wet. If you use it, keep an eye on your flue regularly.

    Good score, nonetheless.
     
  7. Paul bunion

    Paul bunion

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    3,396
    Likes Received:
    13,524
    Location:
    NJ
    You can always stack some up near your stove if you have space. You can get some rather appreciable drying in that way over the course of a few months. Whatever you do keep it out of the rain now. Red oak and it's sapwood in particular soak up rain like a sponge.
     
    firecracker_77 likes this.
  8. firecracker_77

    firecracker_77

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    2,481
    Likes Received:
    3,606
    Location:
    IL
    I was hoping to enjoy some oak this year. Thanks for the identification.
     
    Scotty Overkill likes this.
  9. firecracker_77

    firecracker_77

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    2,481
    Likes Received:
    3,606
    Location:
    IL
    All my wood gets wet when it rains. :confused:
     
  10. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,979
    Likes Received:
    312,156
    Location:
    Central MI
    Only one quick look ID's that as prime red oak. No matter what, I would definitely not be trying to burn any of that this coming winter.
     
    firecracker_77 and bigbarf48 like this.
  11. firecracker_77

    firecracker_77

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    2,481
    Likes Received:
    3,606
    Location:
    IL
    I appreciate the i.d. I wish you would tell me that it was safe to burn. :hair::picard:
     
  12. bigbarf48

    bigbarf48

    Joined:
    Sep 25, 2014
    Messages:
    2,344
    Likes Received:
    4,702
    Location:
    Stone Mountain, GA
    Not necessarily unsafe, it just won't put out as good of heat and may be a pain to keep going. But do be wary of burning wet wood, keep your chimney clean