In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

A couple of big beetles I found this summer.

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by fishingpol, Oct 1, 2014.

  1. fishingpol

    fishingpol

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    6,502
    Likes Received:
    39,646
    Location:
    Merrimack Valley, Ma.
    I found a couple of beetles the past two weeks near the retention pond at work. They are attracted to artificial lights, which possibly brought about their demise.

    The one on the left is an Eastern toe biter. They eat other insects, tadpoles, small fish and salamanders.

    The middle is a giant water scavenger beetle. Similar food.

    The last one I believe is a stag beetle, but the jaws were a little small. Last one eats juices of decaying trees.


    IMG_0005.JPG


    On my thumb for perspective.

    IMG_0011.JPG
     
  2. savemoney

    savemoney

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    13,470
    Likes Received:
    69,200
    Location:
    Chelsea Maine
    Bugs, :hair: Some good, some not so good. Problems occur when they are moved to new nitch. One thing I know is I don't want to share my living space with them.
     
    Backwoods Savage likes this.
  3. fishingpol

    fishingpol

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    6,502
    Likes Received:
    39,646
    Location:
    Merrimack Valley, Ma.
    Word is that the EAB made it out here in S. New Hampshire recently. No surprise I guess.
     
  4. stuckinthemuck

    stuckinthemuck

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    3,247
    Likes Received:
    15,345
    Location:
    Wandering around in the NH woods.
    Looks like the big one is a "true bug" as it comes from the order Hemiptera. The other two are beetles from the order Coleoptera. One good way to tell the difference is that beetles wings don't cross each other in the back.

    Good topic and a great reminder of the millions of living things that are very close to us.

    Here's a map of the quarantine areas and initial detection locations. Kind of hard to read but shows EAB in near Concord, NH and NE MA..

    http://www.emeraldashborer.info/files/MultiState_EABpos.pdf
     
    fishingpol likes this.
  5. My IS heats my home

    My IS heats my home

    Joined:
    Dec 1, 2013
    Messages:
    7,394
    Likes Received:
    17,655
    Location:
    Albany, NH
    Are they all winged beetles?
     
  6. fishingpol

    fishingpol

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    6,502
    Likes Received:
    39,646
    Location:
    Merrimack Valley, Ma.
    Yes. The first two aquatic ones like to fly to artificial lights per my bug book.
     
    My IS heats my home likes this.
  7. basod

    basod

    Joined:
    Nov 4, 2013
    Messages:
    5,048
    Likes Received:
    20,841
    Location:
    Mount Cheaha AL
    If I only took a few pictures of the monsters that I find around here.
    We have one I call a rhinoceros beetle has a big hooked horn on the front
     
  8. My IS heats my home

    My IS heats my home

    Joined:
    Dec 1, 2013
    Messages:
    7,394
    Likes Received:
    17,655
    Location:
    Albany, NH
    That sounds like the pitbull of beetles
     
  9. yooperdave

    yooperdave

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2014
    Messages:
    35,717
    Likes Received:
    224,378
    Location:
    Michigan's U.P.
    After hearing the name "eastern toe biter" I sure am glad I'm from the midwest!

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]
     
  10. Gasifier

    Gasifier

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    20,495
    Likes Received:
    104,020
    Location:
    St. Lawrence River Valley, NY
    Okay. Now I'm scared.
     
    concretegrazer and Blue Vomit like this.
  11. HDRock

    HDRock

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    17,262
    Likes Received:
    60,487
    Location:
    Grand Blanc, MI,
    we caught cockroaches in the factory that big.
    Saw Rats as big as raccoons :jaw::bug::hair:
    We would throw nuts and bolts at em :rootintootin:
     
    Gasifier likes this.
  12. stuckinthemuck

    stuckinthemuck

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    3,247
    Likes Received:
    15,345
    Location:
    Wandering around in the NH woods.
    That looks like a Titan Beetle as seen here.
    Don't worry Gas and Dave.. As long as your hoarding activities keep you out of South America, you should be fine..
     
    Gasifier likes this.
  13. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,979
    Likes Received:
    312,157
    Location:
    Central MI
    Not good news Jon.