In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Stihl 024 super Rim sprocket kit

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by 94BULLITT, Oct 1, 2014.

  1. 94BULLITT

    94BULLITT

    Joined:
    Sep 20, 2014
    Messages:
    2,446
    Likes Received:
    7,189
    Location:
    Frederick County, VA
    I want to change the 024 super to a rim sprocket. I found a kit but it says it has the slot for the adjustable oiler that this saw does not have. Will this work on this saw okay. I don't see what the slot would hurt. Is there anything else different that it would not work?
     
  2. DexterDay

    DexterDay Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    12,411
    Likes Received:
    31,637
    Location:
    Northeast Oh
    If the slot they are talking about, is the slot in the clutch drum? Then it should work.

    Do you have a link or any pics?
     
    94BULLITT likes this.
  3. MasterMech

    MasterMech The Mechanical Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    9,648
    Likes Received:
    26,044
    Location:
    Greenville County SC
    Should be the same kit used on the 026 and no, the notch on the clutch drum for a clutch driven oiler will not hurt anything.
     
    94BULLITT likes this.
  4. 94BULLITT

    94BULLITT

    Joined:
    Sep 20, 2014
    Messages:
    2,446
    Likes Received:
    7,189
    Location:
    Frederick County, VA
    Yes, the slot in the clutch drum.

    Here are the links

    http://www.baileysonline.com/Chains...for-Stihl-026-MS-240-MS-260-MS-270-MS-280.axd

    http://www.baileysonline.com/Chains...em-325-x-7-for-Stihl-024-026-Older-Models.axd

    Yes, a slot on the clutch drum.
    I might try one with the notch then.
     
  5. 94BULLITT

    94BULLITT

    Joined:
    Sep 20, 2014
    Messages:
    2,446
    Likes Received:
    7,189
    Location:
    Frederick County, VA
    Would a Carlton kit be as good as a Stihl?
     
  6. DexterDay

    DexterDay Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    12,411
    Likes Received:
    31,637
    Location:
    Northeast Oh
    The bearing is about all I would worry about. Stihl may use a better bearing? But the fitment of the Carlton should be fine. Forester also makes an Aftermarket, as does Oregon.

    That notch won't hurt a thing if you don't have the adjustable pump.
     
    94BULLITT likes this.
  7. 94BULLITT

    94BULLITT

    Joined:
    Sep 20, 2014
    Messages:
    2,446
    Likes Received:
    7,189
    Location:
    Frederick County, VA
    Some of the kits I have been looking at don't have a bearing. Should they?
     
  8. DexterDay

    DexterDay Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    12,411
    Likes Received:
    31,637
    Location:
    Northeast Oh
    If it's just a drum? It may not.

    Do you still have your old bearing?

    I would clean everything off of it, and lubricate with new grease. That should be sufficient. :)
     
    94BULLITT likes this.
  9. 94BULLITT

    94BULLITT

    Joined:
    Sep 20, 2014
    Messages:
    2,446
    Likes Received:
    7,189
    Location:
    Frederick County, VA
    Yes, I still have the old bearing. It looks fine.