OK, My old trusty weedeater is leaking around the grommet on the fuel tank. Can I use something to seal it up? What? If the answer is no my next move is to purchase new tank and grommet. Thanks!
Okey Dokey. I take it there’s no good way to McGiver a fix then. I would usually just go ahead and do it right the first time but have need for it and was looking for a temporary fix. Thanks!
Nothing that I have seen except maybe seal all gas tank sealant but that might render the tank unfixable when you want to put a new grommet in.
EDIT: Not that it makes any difference in the discussion but the weed eater is a Echo SRM 260 The old noggin ain’t what it used to be
I've had to replace the tank grommet a couple times for my 2601. I found out that there is a large diameter and a small diameter after being handed the wrong one by the Echo dealer and taking it all the way home to find out that it dropped right through the hole in the tank. Mine takes the larger. My advice is to take the grommet with you.
Well, I ordered the grommet from Parts Tree. It’s supposed to be OEM so should fit, I needed a couple other little parts that needed replaced too so shipping was just a few bucks. I hate to weedeat but really dislike wearing fuel down my right side more After thinking on this a minute I remembered that a few years ago I purchased a “kit” that included a carburetor with the grommet and all hoses. While the carb has been great, actually ran better than the OEM one ever did, the grommet must not have been made to spec or materials were sub standard and is likely the reason.
I have one of those 'you can' stashed somewhere for it. Probably won't be able to find it when needed.
Bringing to a successful conclusion. The new grommet is in and no more leaking! After comparing the old non OEM one to new OEM there is definitely a slight difference in the profile and the material is also better. While the old one lasted several years I’m going back to OEM (that’s my usual MO with everything anyway)on all of these small parts moving forward. Thanks for the feedback!