In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

diy firewood rack

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Wes, Sep 30, 2014.

1. Wes

Wes

this isn't my original idea, i posted it at the other place a couple years ago though, and several people seemed to like it.
    supplies needed:
    3 cinder blocks
    2 landscaping timbers
    2 10 foot 2x4s (you can use 8 foot, but 10 foot works better)
    and about 10 minutes.
    you cut the 2x4s in half with whatever you have... i actually used a hacksaw on the last one, lol. place 2 cinder blocks about the length of the landscaping timbers away from each other, then place the third cinder block between those two for support. lay the landscaping timbers across the blocks at the edges. insert your cut 2x4s vertically into the holes of the end blocks. it's a little flimsy until you get some wood on it, but it firms up nicely after you have a few pounds on it. so, for about $10-$20, depending on how you shop and sales, and 10 minutes, you have a convenient firewood rack. my dogs like to turn over my freestanding ones, so these work well for me. a piece of advice... i wouldn't trust too much weight on the sides due to the blocks possibly breaking, but i stack mine about 2/3 of the way up the sides then sort of taper it in so the center is higher than the sides.

[​IMG]

Hinerman, Drvn4wood, raybonz and 8 others like this.
  2. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Yup, seen more than one making theirs the same way. So long as it works well, it is good!

raybonz and Wes like this.
  3. Wes

Wes

a better picture, courtesy of hdrock... posted it in the last thread. edit:haha, not coming out right, let me see if i can fix it.

edit2: here's the real one. for some reason firefox doesn't like it, and i had to do it with ie.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2014
    Hinerman, milleo, BrowningBAR and 5 others like this.
  4. bogydave

bogydave

Alaska, North of Anchorage & South of Fairbanks
    Off the ground, good air circulation :thumbs:
    8' or 10' ?

Wes likes this.
  5. HDRock

HDRock

I just had the guy at the Home Depot cut my uprights to length so I can fit them in the back of the Jeep easier, came home put it together Wham BAM
    @rdust stacks all of his wood that way

Last edited: Oct 1, 2014
    Wes likes this.
  6. Wes

Wes

8" definitely better than my old way of just stacking on landscaping timbers, lol. plus, like i mentioned, my dogs love running into my freestanding stacks and ruining my hard work... it's amazing how easily a 50 pound rocket can take out the end of a stack so easily, then just keep on running, lol. i use these for my wood that's on deck, and still just stack on landscaping timbers for wood that's 2 years or more out.
    ah, so you're still using these too?

7. HDRock

HDRock

Yeah I have 16 ft set up, I'll be adding more also the Oak and Hickory I think we'll dry better on these racks

8. Wes

Wes

i might need to try some 16 footers since i've just stuck with 8 so far. i've always just stacked my wood in face cords, maybe i'm just impatient with seasoning. i only top cover when i know it's about to rain too... can't deprive it of any rays of sunshine, lol.

9. HDRock

HDRock

After I took that picture I changed it, I just used five blocks n 4 timbers

10. donny_appleseed

donny_appleseed

might try this, as mine are starting to sag, even though you can't see it in the picture

Attached Files:

milleo and raybonz like this.
  11. Wes

Wes

i might just try this with a 24 foot setup at the end of my driveway... i keep two 10 foot wide single stacks in that spot anyway.
    it's easy to do, and if you don't like it, there's always something you can use the supplies for. i made my first rack like this out of spare wood and blocks i had lying around at the house.

12. donny_appleseed

donny_appleseed

I'm looking for a cheaper way to build racks, as buying pressure treated lumber can get pricey @Wes

Wes likes this.
  13. donny_appleseed

donny_appleseed

do you attach the landscape ties to the 2 by's?

Wes likes this.
  14. HDRock

HDRock

Heck you could do the same thing using saplings for the whole thing or saplings plus pallet wood for the uprights, it just wouldn't last as long

Wes likes this.
  15. Wes

Wes

no attachments, the timbers just sit on top at the front and back of the blocks (to leave room to drop the 2x4s into the holes) and the weight of the wood holds them in place, and also holds the 2x4s steady by keeping horizontal pressure on them against the blocks.

raybonz likes this.
  16. HDRock

HDRock

I like the fact that you don't have to build them you just throw em together, if you want move them later very easily

Hinerman, Wes and donny_appleseed like this.
  17. donny_appleseed

donny_appleseed

I considered saplings but they wont last as long. and alright that's what I figured. I'm sure screws holding the ties and 2x4's together wouldn't hurt, right? I'll give it a shot, see what happens

Wes likes this.
  18. Wes

Wes

wood goes on sale for dirt cheap all the time around here... for the last one i made, i got treated 2x4s for $3.50 a piece, and the timbers for $1.72 a piece. i already had all the blocks, but i think they go for around $1.75 in my area. as far as using untreated 2x4s, i'm pretty sure one of my racks has them, can't quite remember, but you can help with that by slightly elevating them in the block holes by putting a flat rock or something underneath.

HDRock likes this.
  19. Wes

Wes

you could do that, but like hdrock mentioned, the nice thing about them is you can just throw them together and move them around easily.

20. donny_appleseed

donny_appleseed

Thats true. I don't know, something about the ties not being anchored to the 2x4's gives me the feeling they wouldn't be as secure.

Wes likes this.