In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Red Wood Gutters?

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by StickBender, Sep 24, 2014.

  1. StickBender

    StickBender

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    408
    Likes Received:
    639
    Location:
    Ohio
    Can any of you guys think of any use for these other than firewood? My dad has a 100' plus of em, and I gonna take em. If I can't think of any ideas for them they are gonna be firewood!
     
    Pallet Pete likes this.
  2. Grizzly Adam

    Grizzly Adam Guest

    Anyone ever smoked with redwood???
     
  3. jetjr

    jetjr

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2014
    Messages:
    3,233
    Likes Received:
    8,953
    Location:
    Pa/Md line
  4. Pallet Pete

    Pallet Pete Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    13,479
    Likes Received:
    54,102
    Location:
    Ovid
    Do you have a fence? You can use them as herb and flower gardens hanging from the fence. Another thought is to put small holes in them and surround your garden with them. You could turn a hose on and water like that. Flip them and you have railing caps for fencing. Wow I got lots of ideas lol...
     
  5. fishingpol

    fishingpol

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    6,502
    Likes Received:
    39,646
    Location:
    Merrimack Valley, Ma.
    Are they painted? The ones I have seen pulled off houses around here are lead paint coated and would make you grow an extra... well you get the idea.

    I can hear the gears in Pete's head grinding right now.
     
  6. jetjr

    jetjr

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2014
    Messages:
    3,233
    Likes Received:
    8,953
    Location:
    Pa/Md line
    Pallet Pete likes this.
  7. jetjr

    jetjr

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2014
    Messages:
    3,233
    Likes Received:
    8,953
    Location:
    Pa/Md line
  8. Pallet Pete

    Pallet Pete Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    13,479
    Likes Received:
    54,102
    Location:
    Ovid
    Y
    You should be in my head if you think thats loud...
     
    Backwoods Savage and jetjr like this.
  9. StickBender

    StickBender

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    408
    Likes Received:
    639
    Location:
    Ohio
    They may have been painted at one time, but no trace now. I going to grab them all up, thanks for the ideas keep them coming!
     
  10. Pallet Pete

    Pallet Pete Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    13,479
    Likes Received:
    54,102
    Location:
    Ovid
    Cut sections and mount them to the back of a workbench. Drill holes an bamo tool hangers!
     
    Backwoods Savage likes this.
  11. fishingpol

    fishingpol

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    6,502
    Likes Received:
    39,646
    Location:
    Merrimack Valley, Ma.
    That would be great if they are clean. I have seen them with copper sheet lining and my favorite, roof tar.
     
    Backwoods Savage likes this.
  12. Pallet Pete

    Pallet Pete Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    13,479
    Likes Received:
    54,102
    Location:
    Ovid
    Copper thats an antenna there... just saying LOL.
     
    Backwoods Savage and fishingpol like this.
  13. Pallet Pete

    Pallet Pete Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    13,479
    Likes Received:
    54,102
    Location:
    Ovid
  14. Fanatical1

    Fanatical1

    Joined:
    Feb 10, 2014
    Messages:
    2,688
    Likes Received:
    12,293
    Location:
    Ohio
    I pulled some cedar siding from my home and replaced it with Hardy Board a few years ago and put the cedar up for sale on Craigslist. It had peeling paint and nails in it and I couldn't believe the calls I had on it. Sold for much more than I thought it would. I suspect you could sell it for quite a bit more than it's worth for firewood. And I think it's a shame to burn redwood that still could be repurposed.
     
    Backwoods Savage and Pallet Pete like this.
  15. stuckinthemuck

    stuckinthemuck

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    3,247
    Likes Received:
    15,345
    Location:
    Wandering around in the NH woods.
  16. Pallet Pete

    Pallet Pete Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    13,479
    Likes Received:
    54,102
    Location:
    Ovid
    Not to mention if it is copper lined. That's big money. I sold some very old copper lined barrels last year and was floored at what I got out of the pair! People pay for that.
     
    Backwoods Savage and Fanatical1 like this.
  17. StickBender

    StickBender

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    408
    Likes Received:
    639
    Location:
    Ohio
    No pictures, maybe this weekend. They looked pretty clean and in good shape for the most part. Didn't really want to burn them, that is why I was looking for ideas.
     
    Backwoods Savage and Fanatical1 like this.