In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Osage can you see

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by cezar, Oct 18, 2024 at 1:01 PM.

1. cezar

cezar

[​IMG]

Fellas my MS251 has met its match. This stuff is absolutely brutalizing my saw.

Biggest Osage I have ever seen. I committed a heinous crime by cutting it up for firewood. Main trunk 16" round, 40 foot long, and straight as an arrow. Unfortunately it's in my way and I don't have a good way to get it out of the forest except in pieces.

I can barely lift the 16" rounds.

2. metalcuttr

metalcuttr

Terrible, terrible pun!:picard:Actually physically painful!

3. Ronaldo

Ronaldo

That is a biggun and I’m sure you are wishing for a little bigger saw! Look like you are gettin er done though!

4. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

That saw will still cut it. True it takes a little longer than a bigger saw but let it work.

5. cezar

cezar

I swapped to a chain with taller rakers and that did it. You really need to take slow nibbles with this stuff.

[​IMG]

This is a little over half the hoard. Called it quits for today. I ended up leaving the bottom 20 feet of the tree for future milling purposes. It's airborne so I have a couple years at least.

Was an interesting project. The tree was parallel to my trail but then the top half crossed over the desired path and hung up on a maple about 30 feet up. What I did was cut a notch underneath where the tension b/w the top and bottom halves of the Osage met and then backcut the top which caused it to drop. I then took 16" rounds off the bottom and worked my way up slowly. Basically took little bites as the kerf would close up. Kept removing weight from it. Finally I got everything except the top portion:

[​IMG]

You can see here if I just cut the piece on the right then the vertical piece would be at (small) risk of coming back at me. So what I did was cut it 90% to weaken it mostly and then put the winch on it and yanked it to break it. Then from there I yanked the vertical portion until it flopped onto the ground and the rest was a cake walk. A fun and engaging puzzle where if you make the wrong move you die. Definitely at the 80th percentile of my skillset. I've only been using a chainsaw for a couple years and this took me all day to figure out.

I have a new problem:

[​IMG]

That mark is where my X27 bounced straight off it. It laughed off my 6ton splitter. I can't afford to rent a splitter for this amount. I'm uninterested in attempting with a maul. Might have to noodle it down. IDK.

These rounds are insane. they're 16" and easily 120 lbs. I can barely lift them.

I did put the moisture meter on them, basically tried to keep it in a single ring to approximate the correct way of measuring a split and read 17% so these are either mostly or fully seasoned which is awesome.

6. Chvymn99

Chvymn99 Moderator

7. Locust Post

Locust Post

That is one wood I have never had the pleasure cutting.

8. Deererainman

Deererainman

MY #1 favorite firewood. Great burning firewood and can sit in your firewood stack for years and stay rot free.

9. Deererainman

Deererainman

Back in the day, Dad and I worked up a lot of Hedge with McCulloch 10-10's. His big saw was a Mac Super Pro 81. Great score!

10. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Hey metalcuttr he's living on the hedge! :doh:

Got a good chuckle out of me...of course! :D:emb:

Nice stuff there cezar. My holy grail score. And I love the thread title!:salute:

Last edited: Oct 18, 2024 at 8:33 PM
  11. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

cezar try hitting it in the big center check (crack) and it should split easier.[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 18, 2024 at 9:01 PM
  12. Dunmyer mowing llc

Dunmyer mowing llc

Yep trying to split Osage was what finally convinced me to buy a splitter. The big brother maul version of the x27 will do it. But Osage makes you earn it

13. Moparguy

Moparguy

That is a GREAT score! I've never really had trouble cutting it. The ones around here aren't what I would call "straight". They're straight for a little while then they branch up, outward, and down almost like a monster arching and curling it's arms and fingers scarily at you.

14. Cash Larue

Cash Larue

Nice grab!! I have hoarded some of that stuff in Eastern Colorado. But otherwise, very rare around here. Good stuff.

15. Chvymn99

Chvymn99 Moderator

True If its fresh and alive... :D ... But it looks like its been dead for a bit, and then it can be very hard on chains... :doh:

16. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

Wow, great score. I've never seen any around here, I don't think...
    Chvymn99 gave us a few pieces at a GTG one time, then a friend in Ohio gave us some, made about a drum and half when split... 0506220933.jpg
    Been cooking in the drums for 2 yrs... 0513222128.jpg

17. Hinerman

Hinerman

Normally, it is easy to cut. But, as you say, if it has been dead, it becomes very hard. I have had semi-chisel bounce off, and not bite, at all; like it was just scratching the wood.

18. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

If you can find any, recurve bow makers seek Osage out to make those. Might get good money for prime pieces.
    Great score. Never had any.

Chvymn99 and buZZsaw BRAD like this.