In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Colder here. What's your temp? What ya burnin?

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Gasifier, Nov 4, 2013.

1. jrider

jrider

My wife would divorce me if I let it get down to 60 in the house!

2. Dunmyer mowing llc

Dunmyer mowing llc

My wife/kids have it rough, we regularly see temps in low 50s/upper 40s in the dead of winter. Expesially in the kitchen

3. jrider

jrider

House is 67. High in the 50's with a frost warning again tonight. Will have a fire in the fire place but will hold off a while longer before firing up the wood boiler for the season.

4. jrider

jrider

Wouldn't the kitchen be the warmest room with cooking going on? We usually plan more oven meals as the weather turns cooler.

5. Dunmyer mowing llc

Dunmyer mowing llc

The placement of our stove sends most of the heat up stairs.
    Kitchen/pantry are farthest away and our house is old, high ceilings and drafty

jrider, metalcuttr and jmb6420 like this.
  6. Oldhippie

Oldhippie

34'F in Ashby Mass, right on the NH border at 6:00AM this morning. Haven't put a match to the stoves as it is now 48'F at noon time. We got up and put on a sweater for a short time.

7. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

House be warmer if they shut windows and doors.. wife is having hot flashes.. so she wants house cooler

8. jmb6420

jmb6420

Two days ago it was 94 degrees. Now we have a freeze warning for tonight! Still no fires but by golly I'm getting closer.

My name is Mike, and I'm a hoarder.

9. Locust Post

Locust Post

Been rainy and mid 40's outside all day. House is hanging at 70 now, may have our first fire tonight or tomorrow night. Sunday I ran a brush down the liner for good measure, dropped the cat shield and brushed off a little fly ash. Today after work I pulled the blower out, blew the dust out and put a drop of oil on it. Ready to go now.
    Funny thing though, Sunday evening kicked up a wind just as I got the ladder out to clean the chimney. Set it up to the house and paused but I was on task so hauled the brush and rods up. Just as I got on the roof and up to the chimney wind knocked the ladder down. Great, didn't tell my wife what I was doing. I had heard the next door neighbor talking in his garage so thought maybe after I brush the chimney I will holler for him. Shouted his name about 4 times with no response. So I figured I guess if it starts getting dark my wife will come looking for me. Just then I heard her come out shouting for me. The dog had started carrying on because we think he heard me shouting for the neighbor. Sure was a strange feeling watching the ladder go bye bye.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2024 at 6:45 PM
    metalcuttr, HDRock, Chvymn99 and 3 others like this.
  10. BCB

BCB

I just fired up the Fireview for the first time this season. It's not that cold out, 51*, but I wanted to take the chill off after coming in from my daughter's field hockey game.

metalcuttr, Chvymn99 and jmb6420 like this.
  11. bang

bang

1st fire here in south central Indiana. It’s getting down to the high 30’s by morning. I don’t have any shoulder wood so I’m burning white oak and it’s toasty in the family room

Attached Files:

12. yooperdave

yooperdave

22. Clear skies so there's no chance of any white stuff falling. Yesterday, we did have a brief moment of snowfall with no chance of accumulation.

Chvymn99 likes this.