In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

In My Firewood Feelings

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by CutSplitStack, Oct 6, 2024 at 7:17 PM.

1. CutSplitStack

CutSplitStack

So I'm in my early 40s and my grandfather, at 95 finally made his way into the next life today. We were close, and he was the original firewood hoarder in the family, so it seemed fitting to run some rounds through the splitter that he passed on to me a number of years ago. The machine still works as hard as ever!

He bought the Super Split in the 90s, originally as the electric model. Later he converted it to gas, they sent him the engine and all the needed parts to do so. When he couldn't hoard wood anymore he gifted the splitter to me. Hadn't run in a few years, so I did a carb swap and tuneup on the Honda. Then called Super Split, and man are they a great operation. Talked direct to one of the owners, he looked up the records and had my grandpa on file, so he just added me to the account and gave me the rundown on the machine. Sent me new springs, bumpers, shims, and a handle upgrade kit, talked me through the process to swap everything out. Once the work was done, the splitter was like new, I hope to pass it on to my grandson one day and it's built well enough for sure.

So some splits got made, and thoughts were pondered. Hoard on everyone, and make sure to pass it on to someone who will love the life as much as you do! 20241006_172413.jpg 20241006_172403.jpg 20241006_172353.jpg 20241006_172413.jpg 20241006_172403.jpg 20241006_172353.jpg

2. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

So sorry to hear of your loss.

Im sure he was looking down and smiling watching you split. Nice set up you have there.:thumbs:

Those kinetic splitters are nice machines. I was looking into an electric one recently.

3. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Rest In Peace Grandpa, your wood prep lives on in your Grandson.

4. Moparguy

Moparguy

Sorry for your loss. You've got a really nice setup there!

5. Biddleman

Biddleman

My condolences to you and your family.

Im sure everytime you run the splitter, the memory of your grandfather will be there.

Hoard on brother.

6. CutSplitStack

CutSplitStack

Thanks everyone, and sorry those pics uploaded twice!
    I've gotten a lot of inspiration for my wood yard from this forum, lots of experience here. Like every woodyard, mine has evolved over the years. I love seeing pics of everyone's processes

7. CutSplitStack

CutSplitStack

Which electric model were you eyeing up? Would be nice to process inside and with less noise for sure. I know Super Split makes a few electric models, not cheap but "buy once, cry once".

buZZsaw BRAD likes this.
  8. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

It was a super split. The 110 volt model.

brenndatomu and CutSplitStack like this.
  9. CutSplitStack

CutSplitStack

Nice. If you ever get it be sure to keep us posted!

brenndatomu and buZZsaw BRAD like this.
  10. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Sorry to hear of your loss, and condolences to you and your family.

This post is a pretty cool memorial though...gramps should/would be proud!

Those are nice machines, he chose well...and running an electric kinetic splitter is so nice, no droning on of the engine/pump, only the cathartic meshing of gears and thunk of the ram sending the log through/past the knife.
    I have a small cheapy/project flywheel splitter...bought cheap to fix, but after getting it usable realized that it has a major issue too...haven't fixed that yet, but did get to use it enough to make me build an electric powered hydro splitter...which is quieter, but still has the whine of the pump.