In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

What's up today (bullchiting) thread.

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by Gasifier, Oct 6, 2013.

1. eatonpcat

eatonpcat

That is a nice truck NYH1! Congrats, that should treat you right!

Horkn and wildwest like this.
  2. TrinitySouth99

TrinitySouth99

how does the weight limit work in the US for towing? I know you're allowed 26K lbs with a straight truck and a regular driver's license, but is there a set limit for trailer weight, or does it not matter as long as the truck and trailer are less than 26K combined?

I don't like pushing any machine's limits on the road, but that reminds me of arguments I've heard about the way our drivers licensing system is set up with regards to weight and vehicle size (and in some ways, it doesn’t make sense in either regard).
    To a certain point, I think a bigger vehicle requires more driving skill than a heavier one, especially with a trailer involved. I mean, a 5,000 lb F-150 towing a 1,000 lb boat doesn't really require more skill for the weight difference vs a 2,000 lb hatchback, the brakes and suspension are built to handle the heavier vehicle and therefore function very similarly. But the truck and trailer sure take a lot more experience and caution to maneuver correctly, especially in reverse.

Yes, there's a big difference between that and a 100,000 lb semi, or even an F-350 with a 15,000 lb trailer, but it's laughable (or concerning, depending who's driving) that I need a semi license to drive a day cab tractor with an empty 26' pup trailer, but I can tow a 38' camper with an F-650 and all I need is a normal non-commercial driver's license, which I can take my test for in a smart car.

I believe there are numerous countries which require an upgraded/commercial license for anything heavier than a 3/4 ton truck with a full load in the bed.

wildwest likes this.
  3. FarmerJ

FarmerJ

Some states do have a NON-commercial class A license for those instances.

SOME. I know Texas is one such state.

wildwest and Horkn like this.
  4. NYH1

NYH1

Thanks!

NYH1.

wildwest and Horkn like this.
  5. Horkn

Horkn

You have a half ton, right? That's why

wildwest likes this.
  6. Horkn

Horkn

Then look at the Ford vs the ram or GM 1/2 tons and you'll start to wonder even more at the rams and GMs. The chassis and running great are just way heavier duty on the Ford.

wildwest likes this.