In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

WinonaRail's Wood Yard

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by WinonaRail, Sep 7, 2021.

1. WinonaRail

WinonaRail

How much do you think your 100 pieces would stack out to? I'm thinking I might be able to raise my prices. :yes:

2. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

I have customers in the Winter for nuggets/shorts including BL. Should have four cords of them this coming Winter. Have another half cord plus waiting for a bit to be built.

T.Jeff Veal and eatonpcat like this.
  3. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

I figure 750-800 PCs per cord so maybe 1/8 cord. I sold 200 PCs in Summer 2022 and that was a liberal quarter cord.

Some of these are split smaller as they were intended for bundle wood. I have more "buried" in future stacks should the guy really want more. This stack is mostly cherry and fell over three times in the last two weeks from excess tilting from the stack behind it! I got POed and rather than wait until they get to bundle rotation I listed them for sale. IMG_5866.JPG

Ill PM you with pricing.

4. WinonaRail

WinonaRail

I think after the second time it fell, I would have loaded it in my truck, called every customer I had and found someone to buy it!

5. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

LOL!!! I thought my friend was teasing me by doing that. The stack behind it is mostly oak and once it got full sun it really started to lean. I had only restacked it so far but gravity won!:hair:
    In the future I'll have some perpendicular splits to prevent/limit and tilting.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2024
  6. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Moved and stacked the bundle splits to the temporary bin. Room for more. It will get moved when I rebuild the shed. Under cover and drying process started at least. I kinda hate having splits sit unprotected in the warm weather as stuff starts growing on them. IMG_5895.JPG Nuggets piling up again. :picard: Built a half cord bin for multi year woods and started filling. Honey locust, shagbark hickory and some dogwood should fill a good portion. IMG_5900.JPG IMG_5898.JPG Still undecided about the cherry sale. Haven't replied to the guy yet.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2024
  7. WinonaRail

WinonaRail

Do you have other prospects for the cherry? When I feel confident I'll make more money selling the way I usually do, I'll hold out. But if someone makes an offer that moves something I want to move, I can be flexible.

Sent from my motorola edge plus 5G UW (2022) using Tapatalk

8. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Ill make a lot more selling it as smoker wood. 100 PCs will make roughly 15 bundles so I'll make 66% more give or take.

Cherry and red maple are the only two woods I'll fill a bundle with 100%. All others I mix. Ill use it for bundles if it doesn't sell as smoker wood into bundles it will go.

Thinking I'll take $10 off and see what he says. Been a bad week income wise with the rain. :picard:

T.Jeff Veal, WinonaRail and MikeInMa like this.
  9. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Split all the shagbark chunks and added to the new bin. IMG_5903.JPG I have some red oak waiting at a score to add to this. Don't know it it'll fill it.

10. WinonaRail

WinonaRail

66% more is all I would need to know. I've had people ask for bulk amounts of cherry, hickory, etc. I tell them I don't have enough supply (which is usually fairly accurate). I have no interest in discounting my premium smoking wood that I sell in bags or small stacks when I know I'll sell every single stick I make and for good money.

11. WinonaRail

WinonaRail

I've historically shied away from bringing shorts home if I could avoid it. Lately I've reconsidered, especially if it's a smoking wood. Plenty of people are looking for smaller pieces to cook with.

12. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

If someone wants bulk smoker wood, we'll charge extra...

buZZsaw BRAD, MikeInMa and eatonpcat like this.
  13. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

No reply as I took $10 off. It'll eventually end up in bundles if no smokers sales.

You ever sell basswood carving rounds? Customer of mine having a basswood taken down (it was broken off recently and kinda tangled up. A bit too dangerous for me) and I can have to wood. Thinking of trying to sell it as such.

WinonaRail and T.Jeff Veal like this.
  14. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

If I get a customer asking I'll dig them out. I'm using normal sized splits for the smoker bundles should any sell.

I placed that new bin in a new spot and am going to do a quarter cord rack for new inventory smoker wood as I just got a small amount of mulberry from the dump. Pics to follow.

WinonaRail, T.Jeff Veal and eatonpcat like this.
  15. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

I split most of the apple from a March score. Filled quarter cord rack. (4x6 stack from the pallet to the camera) IMG_5924.JPG Some chunks left I'll noodle to size and stack on new smoker wood rack when ready. IMG_5923.JPG

Question for you. The apple rounds got a bit dirty from other wood on top of them. Do smokers prefer super clean wood? I didn't notice any insect issues, frass or loose bark. I have apple bundles in my listing but as green (not seasoned) wood.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2024
  16. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Taking a lesson from some other FHCer Jeff??? ;) :makeitrain" Hey gotta bring home the Benjamin's!

17. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

Yep...

WinonaRail and buZZsaw BRAD like this.
  18. WinonaRail

WinonaRail

Nobody has asked for it. Sounds like a great idea! I mix basswood with bundle and bulk wood in the summer, but you would probably get more out of it as a specialty product.

buZZsaw BRAD and T.Jeff Veal like this.
  19. WinonaRail

WinonaRail

I would LOVE to have a quarter cord of apple. I've had a few requests but no luck getting any.

My customers don't seem to like big chunks, punky wood and things of that nature. I throw the less desirable stuff into the mixed hardwoods bulk stacks. I don't usually have a lot of dirty wood, but if I did, I'd probably keep the clean heart wood in the smoker pile and mix the dirtier stuff (after knocking off as much as I could) with other hardwoods.

buZZsaw BRAD and T.Jeff Veal like this.
  20. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Cleared the area and stated working on the next two cord rack over the last couple days. May work on it more today, if not next week. Reclaimed lumber that was destined for dumpster/landfill. IMG_5954.JPG IMG_5957.JPG