In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Found a decent video explaining these portable power stations and solar generators

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by jtakeman, Jul 26, 2024.

1. bogieb

bogieb

Yeah, some people are funny that way. Even on the solar forums and FB pages, there are some people who have to correct everyone and insist they aren't "generators". I think their argument is the solar panels are basically the generators and the station is the converter/storage unit. Who cares what is technically correct (and I don't know enough to side one way or the other) - after all, I don't care that people around here call good dirt "loom" instead of "loam". As long as people know what you are talking about (and it doesn't cause a safety hazard or harm in some other way), just go with it.

jtakeman likes this.
  2. bogieb

bogieb

Hopefully it is okay. Best be checking and reading up on the directions.

wildwest and jtakeman like this.
  3. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

HD has the Anker solix c1ooo on sale for $549

:eek:

wildwest likes this.
  4. In the Pines

In the Pines

I'm one of them tools who frown on the word generator when describing a battery pack.
    Do we call jump packs generators? Do we call the little battery banks that charge our phones generators?
    Why would we call a bigger battery pack a generator because it can output AC?

5. bogieb

bogieb

Eh, Blueitti AC180 is $579 on Amazon and was lower a couple of weeks ago. I do hear that Anker is a good brand though. The C1000 can take in 100w more by solar but the AC180 holds more total. It all depends on what features you value.

wildwest and jtakeman like this.
  6. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

Agreed, I went with the Pecron because of my air compressor. I needed at least 2000w. If it wasn't for that I would have bought the ecoflow Delta 2 when it was on sale during prime days.

Almost went with the Oupes Mega 2 for $1099, But the Pecron was $400 cheaper. Looks like they are all having special deals these days.

Now I need to go find some solar panels. Brackets to mount them and some PV wire. Looking for something local as I don't want to have them shipped to my house for fear of damage. Market place has a few sellers and one is selling brand new @$150 each for 540 watt reflective. Probably get 2 of them for now.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2024
    wildwest and bogieb like this.
  7. bogieb

bogieb

Oh yeah, running the air compressor, you definitely need the power. Just went and looked at that Pecron and that is a weird size at 1536w - right in the middle of the most popular sizes (1024 & 2048). Nice find.

I assume by "reflective" you mean "bifacial"? I have a couple of 220w bifacial foldables that I got on a package deal with my EF D2M. They perform great with snow cover, but without snow they are nothing special (I even tried putting reflectix and white materials behind during the fall). It may be that I was just too impatient to find the sweet spot, and setting them up frustrated me too as they had a funky brace system (which they have since changed). I guess my real point is that if you are going to put the panels on the roof of your shed - then bifacials are probably not going to perform as you may expect. Also, since bifacials let light thru, they may heat up the roof (whereas mono do not let light thru so would actually keep the roof a bit cooler). Trapped heat will also affect performance of the panels. BUT, if you are putting the panels on a separate stand, so there is plenty of air flow, most of those issues go away.

Over the spring I got a couple of 320w mono panels that I just have laid on yard wagons (I have rotating shade so have to move them regularly thru the day) and I've used them all summer to keep my stations charged. I would think two 540w would definitely be able to keep that Pecron charged and provide power for lights and things.

wildwest likes this.
  8. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

Yes, I'll get the correct terms someday! :D

Thanks, It was the biggest bang for the buck I could find. Due in on the 14th, Pic's to follow!! :) Odd on the wh's like you said, But wasn't a deal breaker as I do plan on an extended battery down the road.

Luckily no shade where I plan on mounting them. Garage roof see's full sun(when its out) all day. It's probably the spot I put some panels up for the house backup. Most of the house roof is in shade until late afternoon. Going to get 2 for now, and hope he still has some later on as I will likely get a couple more? I want to put 2 on the west facing roof for the late day sun, The other roof has little sun later in the day.

I have enough room for about 16 panels total on the garage roof. Plus a lot less worries if it leaks. I won't consider the house roof until the roof is replace.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2024
    wildwest and bogieb like this.
  9. Highbeam

Highbeam

I would like one of these solar generators but have zero interest in solar panels. I would just charge the dang things with utility power or generator power and then use the solar generator overnight or for smaller loads. Saves gas and runtime on the genset, no running at night but keeps the refrigerators and lights on, and allows some amount of time of backup power before even getting the genset out as most outages are pretty short.

It drives me nuts to hear a 5000 watt loud generator banging away all night to keep a refrigerator cool. That refer only uses 100 running watts. Now, my gas genesets are far more efficient and quiet but not as quiet as a solar generator.

bogieb and wildwest like this.
  10. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

Pretty much the same here too(hate listening to the genny run all night for the few watts I need to power). I'll be getting a bit bigger power station later on to do the same. But do plan on solar panels to charge it along with the genny when its running during outages.

I may even get one of those smart home panels where it will use solar and the power station when its full. Might help offset some of our electric bill which is pretty nuts here in CT.

Highbeam and wildwest like this.
  11. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

I wondered the same. I saw a video that said 2 schools of thought. 1=battery. 2= takes sunlight and generates electricity. Seems both are used though I use "solar generator" since it's common.

jtakeman likes this.
  12. bogieb

bogieb

Lots of people do that. Some people have Time of Use changes in their power costs so charge up their power stations at rediculously low prices (some are even free late at night) and then use the power station to run stuff during the day when prices are 3-5x the night time rates..

When I got my first power station (an Oscal 700 that take ridiculously long to charge because of input limitations and being non-LifPo), my intent was jut to use house power to charge and let it just sit. I knew I would need more than one station, but it was only a couple hundred $, so was a way for me to dip my toes in without doing the solar stuff.

Frankly, in the deep of winter, I don't get enough sun to bother trying to charge any of my stations with solar, so they just sit ready for back up.

wildwest, Highbeam and jtakeman like this.
  13. In the Pines

In the Pines

the panels generate electric and pass it to a controller.
    So panels should be called generators or should the controller connected to the storage device be called a generator? batteries store the pixies.

jtakeman and wildwest like this.
  14. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

That's logical.

In the Pines likes this.
  15. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

My power station came in and I have it powering the garage lights and outlets. Got the panels on the roof, But need to finish mounting(tip to 32º) and wire them to the power station.

IMG_0184.JPG

IMG_0181.JPG

IMG_0182.JPG

16. bogieb

bogieb

In the Pines, wildwest and jtakeman like this.
  17. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

Thank you! As you can see I need to finish the wiring. I'm still waiting on conduit fittings and I'll neaten all that up purdy like!

bogieb, In the Pines and wildwest like this.
  18. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

I got my app configured and one panel connected. Early morning light and it's starting to show some DC input. I'll try to get the second panel mounted and connected today.

IMG_0181.JPG

Update: Second panel finished and connected about noon and it went from about 286 watts to 486 watts. Today is hazy so I'm sure it will produce more on a clear day. But even so it will charge the power station in around 4 hours or so which is Ok by me. :)

IMG_0181b.JPG

Last edited: Aug 16, 2024 at 12:41 PM
    bogieb and Woodwidow like this.
  19. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

A note on the panels. I mounted one at 22º angle for better summer collection and I mounted the second at 34º for better spring/fall collection. Winter would be about 47º but I will likely not be using this in the cold weather so this should be a fair work around to not having to adjust the angles per season's.

I can post a pic if need be.

20. bogieb

bogieb

That wildfire smoke/haze does not help production at all so you are getting pretty good numbers. It looks like that stuff will be around for a couple more days (up here anyway) then hopefully some clear days to follow - as long as that hurricane out at sea doesn't throw cloud cover at us.

jtakeman likes this.