In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Found a decent video explaining these portable power stations and solar generators

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by jtakeman, Jul 26, 2024.

1. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

I've been tinkering at getting something as back up for my garage and found this video on power stations and solar generators that does a decent job at explaining them for a dummy like me. Most are so boring I can't watch them.

2. ironpony

ironpony

I did not watch it yet but wouldn't a solar generator actually be an inverter ??

3. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

They seem to be calling these portable power stations or solar generators. They do have inverters built in. Also have batteries built in too. Basically an all in one package deal I guess.

4. bogieb

bogieb

He addresses that at about the 3 minute mark.

I believe I watched his video and used his spreadsheet last summer to help me understand some stuff before buying my first station. I was happy to see that this is an updated video.

At the 5:30 mark, he does some math about how to figure out the watt hours needed to run a couple of items and uses that divided into the stations rated wh. He makes a side mention about efficiency and he should have put way more emphasis on it - most people are surprised when they only get about 80% of the output (and if you run small loads on larger stations, it gets worse - large loads on large stations are better). I understand he gets into that further into the video, but I would bet a lot of people don't get that far.

I didn't watch until the solar panel stuff. From what I see on FB pages, a lot of people get small panels for large units and cna't understand why the charging won't keep up. The brands don't help because their "bundles" many times feature a 100w or 200w panel. The price looks great but if you're trying to charge a 3kw machine, that just ain't going to happen.

The prices he shows were from a couple of months ago. During prime days, they were way lower for at least some of the EF and Bluetti units. When you get ready to buy, Google around for different sites because some will have great sales going on while others won't (and that can change from week to week). You can usually find coupon codes that will work with Amazon, ebay or the oem website - I got an EF Delta Pro during Prime days for $1,850 because I used a coupon code that worked on top of the sale price. Make sure to buy from the oem website, an authorized reseller, or the oem Amazon/ebay stores to get the max warranty upon registration (some will add up to 3 extra years if bought thru their authorized channels).

If you do decide to buy an EF or Bluetti, feel free to message me if you want a price check or want to check for a code - I'm usually fairly hooked into those things thru their FB pages.

Eh, I've probably yacked way more than you want to read so I'll leave it at that. But, I'll be happy to answer questions about the units I have or my experiences.

5. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

Great post bb, I'm going in blind so I may need an assist. My situation is a bit unique and I'm not sure if these units will turn on from the idle(off) if you apply a load again. I'll need the lights to turn on with the switch and not have to fumble around to find the solar genny.

I can't afford the big off grid system, Nor can I afford to run a new feed to my non attached garage. But would not mind starting with one of these. Not having any power out there kind of stinks!!

I'm tempted to get a smaller unit to run the lights and outlets. I can switch to the gas genny if I want to run my big compressor or welders.

I'll be sure to max it out if I do got this route. :) I see that both brands you mention only have a 1000w PV, The most I see on a small 1800w solar gen is about 2000w. Some as low as 500W. Most of us don't realize that the panels very rarely actually put out the 100 or 200 rated watts. Conditions have to be prefect and it's only a short time duration that they actually do. The tracking panels that follow the sun may be a bit better at getting the max out of the panels.

6. billb3

billb3

While most lithium batteries can handle being used in cold temps, a lithium battery can be destroyed if you try to charge it when the battery cells are under 25ºF. SOME HAVE low temp protection . SOme don't. Some say they do, but if you cut the battery open and look for a sensor either connected to the BMS or on the BMS, they don't. There are guys cutting some of the standalone batteries open, not only to check for temperature sensors but to inspect construction and what BMS they are using. Will Prowse was doing this for a while.

It's usually cheaper to over panel rather than invest in a tracker.

7. DaveGunter

DaveGunter

I didn’t watch the whole video so I’m not sure whether he touched on it or not, but solid state battery options are starting to hit the market

8. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

He has some great video's too.

Low temps will need some sort of work around. Maybe an insulated enclosure with a heat strip or low temp heat source?

Last edited: Jul 27, 2024
  9. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

Very interesting video. :)

10. billb3

billb3

It shouldn't take much. I have some plant heat mats with thermostats and that is probably good enough with a box. Of course we don't get a lot of really cold weather here close to Buzzards Bay.

11. bogieb

bogieb

Plant heat mat with a rigid foam lined box.

I have no trouble keeping my AC180s or Delta 2 Max solar charged with a couple of 320w panels at this time of year. The D2M has two separate 500w inputs, so I attach a panel to each. The AC180 has one 500w input, so I parallel the two panels t the unit.

I didn't even try to run the units during the deep of winter - just kept them as emergency backups. But, I only had folding panels at that time which weren't weather proof.

The larger the unit, the more input it can take. My Delta Pro can take 1,600w. the DPU and Delta 3 can take in a massive amount that I don't even want to think about - those really are whole home solutions.

BTW, although you probably already know this, when looking at solar panels, the important number is the VOC - you need to keep that below the volts the unit will take (I think most are at 11-60v).

12. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

Do you supplement and AC or is it all solar?

Looking at the OUPES Mega 2 the PV inputs over 2000 watts. I don't plan on having any ac backup. Maybe next year we can afford the new feed from the house power out to the garage?

Good to know you can parallel the panels. I assumed that the 500w max nixed that. I assumed you could only connect it to one 500w panel and not say 6 paralleled panels. I don't have any panel experience yet. I assume when you parallel the panels the current stays the same, But the amps increase.

wildwest and NH mountain man like this.
  13. bogieb

bogieb

Watts and amps are pulled by the unit. So even if the panels in parallel produce say 1000w the unit will only pull the 500w it can use. Same with Amps. the VOC (Open Circuit Voltage) MUST stay under the max volts in allowed because those are pushed. Volts are added together when in series. Also, the VOC is measured for the panel specs at something like 75*. When it is colder, panels will produce more volts than the rating states. There are calculators out there there that can tell you what the max volts will be produced according to your low temps - so then you can figure out how many panels you can place in series.

For a lot of mid-sized power stations (under 3,000 kwh) will take up to 60v for solar charging - truly small stations may take even less. So using the 60v max and this panel with a VOC of 40.3

upload_2024-7-29_2-50-23.png

you cannot have any more than 1 panel in series (I know that sounds strange). But you can have 2 or more in parallel. So, if I put two in parallel, that would be referred to as 1S2P.

For larger stations, like my Delta Pro (over 3kwh), the solar charge port can take up to 150v (huge stations will go even higher). For the above panel I could have 3 in series and then also parallel if I wanted. BUT: If the panels I had were 50VOC - I could only do 2 in series as the danger of going over 150v at cooler temps is an issue.

Remember: I have a house solar system that is net metered. I do not have battery storage for that (at the time, it would have cost more than my entire installed system). For 8 months out of the year I rack up credits with the power company and only pull from the grid at night for my lights, fridge and AC (when in use). Most of the big usage is during the day while I am pulling in energy from the rooftop solar so I am not pulling from the grid.

I run my microwave, dishwasher, coffee maker, washing machine, window fans etc by solar charged battery packs. I also use the packs to charge Ryobi batteries, my phone and tablet. I got the battery packs as backup solutions for power outages, and have made it a hobby to use them every day. Plus, since I already have the equipment, I might as well use it and be intimately familiar with it when I do lose power so I'm not scrambling trying to figure things out.

14. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

Thank you bb!

wildwest, NH mountain man and bogieb like this.
  15. NH mountain man

NH mountain man

I bought an Anker 2600 at Home Depot with a coupon back in April and bought 2 additional panels from the company so I have 4 panels for 800 watts. I haven't used in a test yet, I charged and put it my Faraday bag. I still have my gasoline jenny and fuel also.

bogieb, jtakeman and wildwest like this.
  16. bogieb

bogieb

Make sure to keep up with the storage directions. A lot of people forget to do so and the brick the unit because it sat without charge for too long. That is true of all major brands that I know of that use LPO4 units.

wildwest and jtakeman like this.
  17. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

I missed all the prime deals waiting to see what our town taxes would be, But luckily I found a deal on a "PECRON E1500LFP" for a pretty good price($699 plus 10% off and free shipping). From the review video's and such on Youtube, I guess they are known to be reasonably price with decent features. Not the well known brand like the ecoflow, But from what i've read most seem happy with there's. For the money spent its got some good features. UPS, Expandable up to 7680wh. 800w solar charging(which is OK, But wish its was a bit higher as I only plan on using solar to do the charging). 1800w a/c charging which I don't plan on using unless its a must. Hopefully be here by the weekend and I'll post a pic for proof.

Plan on sticking a few panels on the garage roof to feed it. There are a few guys on market place local that are selling new panels fairly reasonable. Got the main panel up and wired. Started running the pvc conduit for the feeds. I need to put up a shelf for the power station and look into what the panels will need for mounting. Also need to get some PV wire from the panels to the power station.

It will be used as the main power in the garage until I can afford to run the new feed at some point. Was recommended I do as it will deflate the homes value if we don't. Hopefully this will do as I have way too many other things up top of the list. When I do, I'll put large enough conduit to also run the genny feed from the garage to the house and also some PV wires so I can add more panels to the garage roof and feed the dc back to the house for a future portable power station or inverter to take some of the load of having to run the gas generator at night. But thats all just wishful thinking for now!

:emptywallet:

Last edited: Aug 7, 2024
    bogieb and wildwest like this.
  18. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

I was chit chatting with a bud and he scolded me on calling these "generators". I said but they produce power? He said not on there own or without sun. I said the same goes for a gas genny, No gas no run!!.

He said but thats different. :rolleyes: :headbang: :picard:

I will call them portable power stations going forward. :whistle:

bogieb and wildwest like this.
  19. billb3

billb3

Does your bud insist on pronoun use too ?

People call the things solar generators and pretty much everyone in the world knows what you're talking about.
    Same with hot water heaters.

wildwest and jtakeman like this.
  20. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

oh boy, I didn't know, I still have one on the front porch delivered months ago :eek:

jtakeman and bogieb like this.