In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Severe Weather ?

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by thewoodlands, Feb 2, 2017.

1. Gasifier

Gasifier

I did not know this. I’m currently in Virginia Beach on a short vacation. Heard there was storms up North though.

2. bogieb

bogieb

storms came barreling thru yesterday evening. The leading edge was super windy at 50-70 mph, depending on which part of the edge you were on. Heavy rains for about 15 minutes and then it settled down to a gentle rain. About 20 minutes later the sun could be seen on the western horizon. I know Keene had a lot of trees down. There were worries about straightline winds and possible formation of a tornado.

My place is fine and I haven't heard of any issues in my town.

3. John D

John D

We definitely are having some crazy weather

4. Gasifier

Gasifier

I am in Virginia Beach eating breakfast and turns out our waitress is from Utica. Says her parents are waiting for the power to come back on so they can pack for the trip to come down and visit her for the week. Tornado did touch down but not terrible damage.:faint:Small world.

(If in Virginia Beach area try eating at Bay Local.):drool:

5. Eric Wanderweg

Eric Wanderweg

I'm under a severe thunderstorm watch until 9pm. The radar forecast map looks pretty impressive as of right now. We could definitely use the rain anyway.
    weather.jpg

6. bogieb

bogieb

The National Weather Service has confirmed that there was a tornado produced by the storm that was on the ground for just under two miles in Lyme. This is the second tornado of the year - and our average is 1 or 2 so we have hit our quota. Although areas (including mine) were under a tornado watch, there was no tornado warning ever issued. I'm not knocking the NSW - it is super challenging especially in hilly terrain, where echos may not be accurate and some places are "blind" to the radar.

We also had a couple of micorbursts/straight line wind events of 90 mph in different areas of the state that were confirmed. Between the events, around 7 houses are uninhabitable, several more severely damaged, and lots of trees down and thousands of power outages.

Some people were mocking the severe weather watches on social media saying that "again" the news stations were hyping up the weather for ratings. I'm sorry, but I would rather be prepared / aware of potential issues as to have them blindside everyone (which then they would be calling for heads to roll).

Last edited: Jul 18, 2024
  7. Chud

Chud

Went from record for consecutive days without rain to daily downpours.

Attached Files:

T.Jeff Veal and Backwoods Savage like this.
  8. JD Guy

JD Guy

Send some to South Carolina please?

9. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

10. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

11. Chud

Chud

Looks like an elephant head to me
    IMG_3794.jpeg

12. bogieb

bogieb

Finally got a decent rain! Although a lot of areas in NH have gotten either way too much rain, or at least regular storms, ny little section has been very dry over the last month at least. I've been getting maybe 1/8" of rain per week and I'll bet I've only had maybe 3/4" of rain since June. I haven't even mowed since June 2nd (except the drainage ditch about 10 days ago because I was supposed to get a good amount of rain that weekend - from which I actually only got some mist).

But yesterday, in the space of 12 minutes I got 1/4" of rain. That was exciting enough by itself. But overnight, we got a nice soaking rain and I ended up with a total of 1.25".

13. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

We could use some.

14. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Congratulations. I hope this breaks the dry spell you've had so you keep getting what you need.

T.Jeff Veal, bogieb and MikeInMa like this.
  15. JD Guy

JD Guy

This week we have had several late afternoon and overnight thunderstorms, some with big wind. That has resulted in some limbs down and clean up to do. The best results were we got rains of 1.25, 1.0 and 1.50 inches so pastures and yard are coming back :thumbs:. Thanks Chud for sending it on South!

16. Chud

Chud

And there’s a tropical system on the way. It poured yesterday, it rained this morning and more storms forecast later today. The downside is the soupy air. I unloaded some wood, but I won’t be making any firewood this weekend.

17. JD Guy

JD Guy

Roger that on the heat and humidity! I’ve got 17 years on you and both of those weather conditions have me resistant to any heavy duty outside work. Just cutting the grass and mowing pastures is brutal. Somehow when I was younger I never even noticed it:rofl: :lol:. My firewood work is predominantly all now fall and winter :thumbs:

18. bogieb

bogieb

And another 1.25" of rain yesterday. I'm pretty sure I'll be mowing this next weekend which will be the first time in 39 days (assuming I mow on Saturday).

19. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

Stay safe any members in the path of hurricane Debbie. I'm seeing forecasts of up to 30inches of rain over the next few days.

The Weather Channel's Jim Cantore is in Charleston.

20. Chud

Chud