In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

What's up today (bullchiting) thread.

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by Gasifier, Oct 6, 2013.

1. lukem

lukem

Back in the shop today after too long. Humidity was brutal but got some work done.

Some lower wall cabinets in progress. Big reception desk is next.

PXL_20240704_193459326.jpg

Made these for dinner after I had enough sweating in the shop

PXL_20240704_214850913.jpg

2. Ohio

Ohio

Free dirt naps for skunks. Gotta save the dog from herself. :rootintootin:

IMG_2164.jpeg

3. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Quiet Independence Day out here. Second home summer home parties quieted down at like 10:30 after everyone lit off fireworks. Camp ground doesn't have very many campers. It was a cooler day and brisk evening but still weird.

4. bogieb

bogieb

Yesterday was more like labor day. I weed wacked and took down a couple of small trees. The trees are junk maples, so when I say small, I mean the diameter isn't but 4-5". 20' tall though. cut all the limbs and trunks so that they will fit well into the Explorer to go to the brush pile at the dump. I'm sure I did other stuff too, just can't remember what it was. Do remember watering a couple of the gardens, the big rhodie out front, the potted plants in the yard and on the back porch. Also scrubbed out the two small bird waterers/baths and refilled them. Been pretty dry at my place with about 3/4" rain in the last month (and most of that was in one shot a week ago so it didn't really stick).

Today I am taking Rainey (one of my cats) to the vet. Next week she goes in for tooth and gum surgery so they need to make sure she hasn't developed an infection in the broken tooth. Once I have her back home it's then to the bank to roll over a CD into the special rates (otherwise automatic roll-over gets a lower rate by about 1/2).

5. theburtman

theburtman

It was very quiet around here too. Not a typical July 4. Almost no traffic and no signs of any parties.

6. billb3

billb3

Oddly quiet here. Municipal fireworks off in the distance at/shortly after sunset, then - quiet. Almost no residential fireworks at all.
    A sign of economic shrink ?

Youngsters next door had a bouncy house in the back yard and people over but they were done around 9:30. They mostly sit around on the deck talking, maybe grilling.

7. theburtman

theburtman

I'm guessing economic conditions have played a big part in the quiet July 4 in multiple locations.

8. Woodwidow

Woodwidow

Port McNeill, BC Northern Vancouver Island
    fireworks are expensive, at least up here.

9. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Man, there have been fireworks going off almost every night for the past week here...TONS last night! Our local show in town is Saturday night...they say we go from 8500, to 100,000 people for the event...for a small town they do a heck of a show!

10. Horkn

Horkn

There's been a lot more fireworks here than typically. Good thing my dogs are not bothered by them

11. Dok440

Dok440

We go down to dad's place for fireworks because there are no fireworks where I live. I picked up a box of Safe and Sane fireworks and we made ice cream. It was a great day with dad, my sisters my wife and three sons. Last year was strange in that there were no illegal fireworks around. This year was back to normal. We are watching our safe and sane fireworks and the cul-de-sac across from us they are setting off a near professional fireworks display for almost two hours. I hope you all had a good Forth!

12. JD Guy

JD Guy

Well, everyone liked the pulled pork from the Boston butts ( I’m my own worst critic though and didn’t think they were as tender as usual:) did the entire cook with cherry and flavor was very good) Both DIL brought sides, slaw and tater salad, wife made baked beans. We also had banana pudding and blueberry cobbler for dessert. We had 12 total here so was lively! No one went hungry for sure:thumbs:

13. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Ummm. Sound check today for the Colorado guy buying up every property he can out here. The sound check from a block today was so loud I would have swown it was in our driveway!

:picard: he has 3+ acres of campers and cars parked nose to nose as of this evening o_O . I guess this explains why it went quiet early last night.

He hired a professional fireworks company too. I think the fireworks show will be nice, but...

Last edited: Jul 5, 2024
    eatonpcat, JD Guy, yooperdave and 6 others like this.
  14. savemoney

savemoney

i avoid the crowds, light flashes and booms, Haunting memories of past events I don't want to be reminded of. No family BBQ so it was a dull day. I should have gone to the concert but instead took a nap.

15. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

It was a great fireworks show! Folding camp chairs and propane duck blind heater. WOW, it was like going to the stadium like when my parents took me as a child when the boomers lit up right over your head, except in our driveway, cool! Speakers were not too loud like the sound check this afternoon, just loud enough to hear the songs between firework booms and the live band there now is even lower volume.

*Noting to self for 10 years in the future to see if this out of state land grabber might own most the properties on the road by then. And turns this place into unlivable tourism zoo*

Horkn, savemoney, brenndatomu and 4 others like this.
  16. Woodwidow

Woodwidow

Port McNeill, BC Northern Vancouver Island
    Nice to see a great fireworks display.

Horkn, savemoney, wildwest and 2 others like this.
  17. yooperdave

yooperdave

Exactly! :thumbs: :handshake:

18. yooperdave

yooperdave

19. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Amen

Chvymn99, Horkn, yooperdave and 2 others like this.
  20. savemoney

savemoney