In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Do you have a 4' Bush Hog? Tell me about it...

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by RCBS, Jun 27, 2024.

1. RCBS

RCBS

Currently shopping new and used. Leaning towards new since most used are not too far off from new on price.

Got one? Like it? What tractor you got it hooked to?

I think a 42" is actually what I need, but those are less common, so 4' discussion appreciated as well.

Have 5 footer for main duties, a small one would be nice to get to stuff I can't get into with the big tractor.

2. eko

eko

got a 4 foot from tractor supply. The gearbox leaks oil from the bottom. Not enough that I have to refill while mowing, just at start of the job.
    Have cut 3 inch trees with it.
    Easy to keep the blades razor sharp as there is enough room to use an angle grinder without taking off the blades.
    At first had trouble with the blades being folded back when I started the PTO and they would not unfold so it shook like crazy. Had to stop and manually position the blades.

I got the 4 foot so that it wouldn't tax my JD855 in tall grass. I lowered the rear wheel so that the deck tilts toward the front. This reduces the load while cutting as the blades mostly only contact at the front.

It does the job. I drive through stuff taller than I can see standing up on the tractor. Slowly... With razor sharp blades it doesn't have any problems.
    Cut is kinda course, but that is expected.

Don't regret buying it. They are really stupid expensive now.

RCBS likes this.
  3. DaveGunter

DaveGunter

Have you considered a flail mower instead of a smaller brushog? Much more compact than a brushog, easier for tight spaces, easier for a small tractor to handle, the weight of the flail mower mostly rides on the roller, you can get a variety of flails for different duties, generally a better cut from a flail mower. Currently waiting on delivery of a new Sundown flail mower from my dealer. Chit tons of comparison videos out there. Flailmowers are generally more expensive.

4. RCBS

RCBS

Gonna barely eek out the $$ for a rotary. I know of the flails, but they are above my pay grade.

JimBear and eatonpcat like this.
  5. RCBS

RCBS

You're a little heavier with the 855 than what I will be using. You run a bucket or weights with the mower? I'm trying to avoid needing the bucket for front ballast as it cuts down on manueverability a bunch. I wanna run this thing in some woods with a bunch BS all tangled through it. (it will probably do some field/trail work also) They make weight kits for the BX tractor, but unsure if they interfere with the loader or not.

eatonpcat likes this.
  6. eko

eko

It isn't heavy enough to cause trouble for my 855 when lifted. I have no weights or loader. I sometime wish for a 5' but its the tractors ability to lift it that worries me. Actually my main worry is the stress it puts on the 3 pt when mowing with it partially raised. It can bounce
    on the lift arms.
    I back mine into 8 ft tall blackberry thickets frequently.

eatonpcat and RCBS like this.
  7. eko

eko

this what i got. Could not post a link for some reason.

upload_2024-6-27_12-1-7.png

8. RCBS

RCBS

Was looking hard at these until I saw the 'works efficiently on 25-45. I got 18 delivered at PTO. Could probably get by with a 48, but am now concentrating on the 42" units. The listed weight on them is a little under 400lbs.

brenndatomu and eatonpcat like this.
  9. RCBS

RCBS

Took another look. Found some that aren't all that much more, but never heard of the brands before. Watched some running and realized these probably don't like cutting in reverse? Need something that I can back into tight spots. With 18 PTOhp, I can only run a small one, but may investigate for the bigger Kubota in the future. Ability to offset is something that I could use.

Have zeroed in on a couple of sellers who have the RCR1242s in stock. One is 2 hours away and one is 3 hours away. The one 3 hours away claims 'clearance prices' but doesn't list them. I sent email inquiry, but I don't think anyone is monitoring. Will call for price today. Gonna need to be at least $100-150 cheaper to drive that extra 2 hours.

eatonpcat and brenndatomu like this.
  10. JimBear

JimBear

Try using cotton picker oil in that gearbox, it will slow that leak down exponentially.

Dad used it in his old batwing, the gearboxes were always leaking & he got tired of tearing them apart to fix them.

eatonpcat, RCBS and brenndatomu like this.
  11. eko

eko

My JD855 is only 19HP at the PTO. With sharp blades the 48 inch doesn't load it much. I run the engine at half or less speed at all times when cutting in case i hit something. Less chance of damage that way.
    Cotton picker oil sounds like a good idea. Thanks Bear. Tractor supply has it in stock.

eatonpcat, RCBS and brenndatomu like this.
  12. Wishlist

Wishlist

FYI….Bush Hog has some factory back money going on . I researched the snot out of them and decided on a 6ft Bush Hog . Woods was my other choice . MSRP and what you can actually pay are worlds apart if you do your research .

RCBS and brenndatomu like this.
  13. MasterMech

MasterMech The Mechanical Moderator

Both to buy and to run/maintain. But if the terrain isn't too awful (rocks, stumps etc.) and maneuverability/quality of cut are significant factors, then the additional cost of flail maintenance won't be as significant.

RCBS likes this.
  14. DaveGunter

DaveGunter

I bought a $2000 54” model (read made in china) from Woodmaxx back in 22 to use on my 1025R because that’s all that I could afford at the time and I would only need to use it 1-2 times a year, so I was hoping it would hold up. It basically came apart at the seams during the first use after about an hour. The end plates are bolted on, several of the fasteners came loose in use and the roller and flail shaft basically fell out of the machine:eek:.

There were all sorts of warnings about not mowing in reverse with that unit because the roller is exposed and will bend if you hit something hard enough with it.

I made a warranty claim, which stated explicitly that it was only good for parts. To Woodmaxx credit when they saw the pictures of how the thing basically came apart, they sent me a new unit and I returned the damaged one at no cost. There are lots of videos of the Woodmaxx flailmowers and people seem happy with them…maybe I just got a Monday morning unit. I did not check the fasteners before I used it. I think most high quality units are welded and not bolted. I ended up never using the new unit and just sold it privately, because I upgraded to a L3902 and new implements to match the bigger machine. I’m just buying a mower for the L3902 now, had a neighbor mow for me last year.

Attached Files:

15. Horkn

Horkn

My buddy with the sub compact deere 23 hp yanmar diesel ran a 4* brush hog. He's said he wished he got the 5 footer because it had no problem running that. I know we had the 4' hog up for sale and he bought it new.

RCBS likes this.
  16. Chud

Chud

Do you have any trading posts/junk/surplus dealers in your area? I got a 5’ King Kutter for $500. I’m more proud of the 3 point hitch I got for $50. The internet dealers charge 350-450 for them.

RCBS and Horkn like this.
  17. fox9988

fox9988

I bought a used 5' International bush hog for my 17 PTO HP Yanmar 22 years ago. I absolutely abuse it on 3" trees and rocks. Not a single problem but it's heavy, even with a FEL to counter balance it.

brenndatomu, RCBS and Horkn like this.
  18. RCBS

RCBS

I'm back to 48" cut width. I just can't see the cut width being less than the rear tires (45"). Have done more research and found several who are running th 48s with 18hp or less at the PTO. Max 3pt lift for the 2380 is just shy of 800lbs. Currently sniffing a new County Line unit that is supposed to weigh 463lbs. There is a Land Pride 48 for essentially the same money, but is a 3 hour one way drive with trailer (listed weight is 435 I think). The County Line unit is 45 minutes away. I am most concerned with overall weight than I am width, meaning I want to go as wide as possible, but stay as light as possible too because running without front ballast is important here for me. The County Line (round back) has pulled out front due to easy peasy financing they are offering. I gotta puke it all out at once if I buy the Land Pride. :emptywallet: :whistle: I'm not so sure that LP doesn't make the CL units for TSC. 3 point stuff is a little different, but the decks look quite similar.

I hit the used market very hard. Two scenarios usually....1. in good shape and aesthetically nice > Close to what I can buy new for $ 2. The units are $500 and look like they may have been used for mine sweeping at some point or were dug up in an archeological site.

Can't deal with the fact that many 4' units are priced higher than a 5' similar units.

brenndatomu, JimBear and Horkn like this.
  19. JimBear

JimBear

Landpride makes exceptional mowers.

4’ are more highly sought after & they charge according.

20. RCBS

RCBS

They seem to get 5' money from 4' cutters. Very odd to me that you can find them priced the same.

I was incorrect...it's not LP making the county line units...it's Tarter. The LP's do have a 12ga deck like he LP. The LP has superior 3pt design far as I can tell.

Gonna call local independent Land Pride dealer and see what they can do. Fairly certain they will be higher than some I have located elsewhere, but need to give the hometown guys a chance. Have used them for some work on machines before where the task was beyond my capability.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2024
    brenndatomu and Horkn like this.