In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

How Many Chainsaws Did You Own When You Joined FHC?

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by buZZsaw BRAD, Jun 23, 2024.

1. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Popular question I had in the other thread so decided to start a separate thread.
    I started with three (February 2019) and now own 17+ :saw:

Some have been sold and I've acquired more. I really don't have CAD (Chainsaw Acquisition Disorder) anymore, but still browse FBM/CL for bargains. :makeitrain"

jmb6420, T.Jeff Veal, Horkn and 12 others like this.
  2. JB Sawman

JB Sawman

Do you mean running or total ? last count #300 plus :D:headbang:that includes running and all others you have some catching up to do JB IMG_3970.jpg

3. Eggshooterist

Eggshooterist

You are in denial. If you are actively searching for deals, you are not in CAD remission.

jmb6420, T.Jeff Veal, Horkn and 10 others like this.
  4. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Im in CAD admission! If I admit to it then its not a problem, right?

I'm not actively seeking any particular saw, but if a killer deals shows up, I just assume buy it....but you know what they say about assuming. :D

jmb6420, T.Jeff Veal, Horkn and 6 others like this.
  5. Dok440

Dok440

Husky 346, 350. Stihl 024 (not working) 440, 660. Total of 5. I'm a semi reformed saw hoarder. I had 16 saws at one point but we had to move to the suburbs for family reasons for a few years and I pared it down to what I have today. Now I have a little land and more wood than I can handle. I do plan to add a 60cc saw at some point but there is no hurry.

jmb6420, T.Jeff Veal, Horkn and 8 others like this.
  6. Eric Wanderweg

Eric Wanderweg

All I had were my two Echoes when I joined up in 2020. I still have those plus 2 Stihls and 2 Huskies. I had a top handle that I gifted to another member here, and a Poulan I gave away to a kid at work that didn't have a saw. 6 saws is about my limit. Actually I'd like to offload a couple.

7. Warner

Warner

Guess I’m odd, I had one the 680. I would borrow my fathers when I went in the woods cutting cuz I got it stuck a time or two and had to go to get his to get it out. Since then he gave me his 501, he moved to a place where he doesn't need one. I have been eying a 40ish cc saw for limbing tho.

jmb6420, T.Jeff Veal, Horkn and 8 others like this.
  8. tamarack

tamarack

Had 2 saws when I joined. Now up to stihl 660, Stihl 462, Echo 490 Echo 590, saved the best for last three Husqvarna 266. The 660 is a non runner. The 462 and 1 of the 266Se are ported.

9. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

3, now 4

jmb6420, T.Jeff Veal, Horkn and 5 others like this.
  10. walt

walt

I had one saw a 254 XP

jmb6420, T.Jeff Veal, Horkn and 9 others like this.
  11. MAF143

MAF143

I started years ago with a Poulan 1.8 woodsman and heated the house with it for a few years, then my brother gave me a Stihl 041 for a bigger saw. I then got a Poulan 3218 till I figured out how to fix the 1.8. The 3218 was a HORRIBLE saw, or at least the one I had... I didn't really care for the 041 and my brother quit cutting wood so he sold me his almost new Farm Boss 391 cheap. I bought a MS250 cuz I got tired of keeping the Poulans running. It seemed like I had to fix them every time I wanted to use one.
    Anti-Vibe was a game changer for me but it was too late... Carpel Tunnel surgery was imminent.
    I discovered FHC about this time and heard about this thing called a muffler mod!!! Game changer again. Both the MS250 and the MS391 responded very well to some extra flow out the exhaust.
    A seal went bad on the MS391 so while replacing them, I made the mistake of putting in the cheapest bearings I could find on the internet. One of those "new" bearings destroyed itself on the third tank of mix after the rebuild and the first time I really opened it up on some bigger wood.
    I replaced the bearings with OEM and sold it. I was drooling for a pro series saw so I replaced it with a new MS362C with m-tronics. It has been a very good saw and I'm happy with it but the MS400 came out a few months after I bought it and I was a little bummed that I missed that boat. That's OK though, it has been a good runner for me.
    CAD reared its head after reading on here (and other forums) about what a great saw the Husky 357 was / is (Jason The Wood Wolverine knows who I'm talking about). I ended up buying a beat up one from one of my wife's high school classmates. I had been tinkering with saws some and fixing some up for neighbors and friends and decided to self port the 357 while I was getting it back to woods-worthy shape.
    About this time I discovered square ground chains. I quickly became a convert and I'm ALL in on square filing my chains.
    I thought that would end my addiction...

I ended up cutting some big wood for some friends so I got big bars and modified the oiler on the MS362. It performed very well even with the 42" bar on it. I figured since I only got into big wood occasionally that I would be OK with that.

WRONG!!!

Last winter I was reading how the clone 288's had gotten fairly reliable with just a couple mods (Czed had a BIG influence on this) , I decided to get one since the price was like $170 delivered... I ended up porting it and adapting my big Stihl bars to use on it. I only have about 6-8 tanks of gas through it so far, but it's been a beast.

Now I'm hoping that I'm done buying saws for myself and can live out my CAD via fixing saws for friends and family... I probably will re-visit the porting in the 357 now that I have a friend of a friend that can cut jugs on a lathe. My 357 is just a base gasket delete with some exhaust, intake, and lower transfer work. I'm very happy with it as is, but I know it's got some more guts in there!!!

Czed, jmb6420, morningwood and 11 others like this.
  12. Mrxlh

Mrxlh

Wow, got to think about this for a minute, 5 then 22 now.

jmb6420, T.Jeff Veal, Horkn and 10 others like this.
  13. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Man, I don't recall...6...8, maybe? All "homeowner" saws...Craftsman, Poulan Pro, even one regular Poulan (one of those white/green/purple things...Wild Thing maybe?) I don't think I had $300 in all of them combined (bought some for $20 that needed nothing) I think $50 was the most spent on any one saw.
    So I guess I'm up to 8-10 now...oh, and I forgot about the Pioneer P28 that my buddy gave me...gotta get that running...

14. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

The forum of ArboristSite got me started with CAD. Joined there and went to a couple local GTG’s, ran ported saws and it was on. At that point I had 2, an old Craftsman I was given and the 357. First bought a new Husky 450 before learning of the XP line. Cut with it for a couple weeks and realized I’d made a mistake. If I remember right, I got $200 for the 450 and went to the dealer and bought the 357. Been my favorite ever since. And after DozerDan ported it, :dex:.
    Right now I’m at 12. :picard: But I don’t have the addiction much at all. I’ve let a couple good deals pass by. I just don’t need anymore. There’s a Husky 350 close to me listed for $130 and it’s hard, but I have other hobbies that I’d rather spend the money on. Of those 12, 4 get used regularly. The others, not so much. All but 1 in this pic. I keep ‘em in my basement where the temp stays consistent.
    C41BAA6D-DA40-4A75-820F-E0CFAFEC4CB4.jpeg

I actually jointed FHC in search of more info on square filing. Then I saw a community that had the same attitude I did about collecting firewood. :handshake:

15. jmb6420

jmb6420

I'm an amateur compared to most of you guys. I went from one Poulan Pro to four by adding two Husqvarna and a Redmax.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. blacktail

blacktail

Had an MS290, have since added an MS180. I don't need a bunch of saws. The 290 has done everything I need it to and the light weight of the 180 is a luxury when I'm cutting smaller stuff.

17. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

When I came aboard in 2015, I had a Lowe’s bought 445. Got the itch (because of FHC) soon after, and added a 576XP and 266SE in short order. At the 1st Backwoods Savage and The Onery One’s first GTG, I won the 1st Gary_602z donated door prize MS170.
    4 saw high tide line has rolled back to two, mostly due to my lower back issues.

jmb6420, walt, Sandhillbilly and 7 others like this.
  18. Dakota Hoarder

Dakota Hoarder

I started with a POS poulan 5020 that spent more time in the shop than being used, luckily Menards stood by the 2 year warranty . Then got new a Stihl 391 thinking it would be a one saw plan, learned quick that it was to heavy for a one saw plan. Added a used Stihl 025 that worked well till the bearings went out. Added a Stihl 460, 026, 260, 461, 660, and echo top handle . Then sold the 026 and 260 (because I was tired of adjusting the carb) to purchase a 261.

It’s been 3 years since I’ve purchesed a saw… am I done I doubt it!

I was just going to buy another 261 for $350 last week, I passed on because when I went to look at it it was the old carb model and not nearly as nice as the pics looked.

19. Dakota Hoarder

Dakota Hoarder

Just checked FB marketplace. CAD is in full affect! Seems like a really clean saw ant a fair price, And I don’t have a 362!

upload_2024-6-24_22-21-16.png

20. MAF143

MAF143

362 responds well to a MM and a 5* timing advance. I'm kinda partial towards them. They're a very nice mid-size saw. For most folks they are a very good large saw. I didn't really need anything bigger most of the time, but you know, the CAD thing...