In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Which mower?

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by Dakota Hoarder, Jul 28, 2019.

1. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

IIRC my Toro had Hydrogear ZT2100's on it...the predecessor to the ZT2200, or "EZT" as its commonly called...and neither the 2100, or 2200 are meant to be serviced.
    And just for future readers info, yes you can change the oil on these units by sucking it out with a pump, or removing the whole unit and turning it over...but then putting the new oil back in sucks too, because you do it through the vent hole...so you have to fill and vent from one hole...slow process! And if you pump it out, you can never really get it all, and very likely won't get near all the "sludge" that's laying in the bottom...which you really want out! And even if you could get it all...there is still a screen/filter on the pumps intake that can only be cleaned by removing it. That's why I removed drives and took the covers off so I could clean it all up and find the best spot to drill a drain hole...a "low spot", and a spot that the drain plug was not going to interfere with any internals...IMO it would be risky business to try to just drill a hole without taking anything apart! The whole deal is a real PITA compared to a factory serviceable unit!
    Anyways, I then threaded the aluminum cover to take a 1/8" NPT plug...with a light coat of thread sealer on it...no thread tape! Strings of thread tape will end up in the pump and screw things up...and never use it on an engine either...same reason...it can plug an oil port/orifice very easily! The aluminum cover is kinda thin, so you can get too carried away with tightening the NPT plug...just enough, is just enough!
    When my drive puked (left side, which seems much more common than the right for some reason) I had to replace the pump, the motor, and all bearings/seals...and since I DIY'd it, that was much cheaper than buying a whole new drive. The oil was completely silver when I opened 'er up...no doubt a couple oil and filter changes along the way would have prevented this failure if it would have been made to be "serviceable" (it was 7 years old and about 350 hours at this point). Once you get metal shavings circulating around in the oil, its all downhill from there! The right side oil looked much cleaner, and that unit never did fail by the time I sold it in '15.
    The left side puked an axle bearing in '14, which meant another partial rebuild...and that is also when I installed the drain plugs on both sides...and then started looking for its (mower) replacement, which IIRC, I found spring of '15. (the Hustler Mini Z I have now)
    As I mentioned before, the dealer recommended replacing the oil with Mobil 1 synthetic, (15w-50 IIRC) which I did on both sides in '07, during the initial "left side rebuild".
    This got a bit long, but hopefully it helps somebody somewhere down the line...either in servicing their EZT, or even better, avoiding buying one in the first place! (don't get me wrong, if you have a small flat yard, and pull nothing, ever, probably fine)
    And just FYI, any mower with a Hydrogear brand ZT drive unit model # ZT2800 or higher (such as ZT3100, or ZT3200) are fully serviceable with a factory drain plug and spin on filter. :yes:

Eric VW, Horkn, eatonpcat and 4 others like this.
  2. mechdesigner87

mechdesigner87

For the price and whatnot, a Hustler is hard to beat. I have a Hustler Raptor 52 and it mows so nice

Eric VW, clemsonfor, Horkn and 2 others like this.
  3. eatonpcat

eatonpcat

Lots of good info here!

Eric VW, clemsonfor, Horkn and 2 others like this.
  4. Horkn

Horkn

I have heard good things about those hustler raptors too. I'd say they are in the same level as the ariens ikon x.

My yard is nearly flat, and I would never tow with ANY zero turn just mow. I've got a 4 wheeler for that.

Eric VW, clemsonfor and brenndatomu like this.
  5. mechdesigner87

mechdesigner87

There ya go. Especially with a flat yard, it's nice. The Raptor is a residential mower, but still almost commercial grade, I know a few places that use them commercially to mow yards.

If you do get one, I'd recommend the Raptor SDX. I have the base model Raptor, but wish I had the upgrades the SDX has like the seat with armrests, larger wheels, etc ..

Eric VW and clemsonfor like this.
  6. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

Yea I cant imagine towing with one. There so expensive.

Horkn likes this.
  7. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Yes, the Raptor line varies a lot in what you are getting based on the exact model...the Raptor and Raptor Limited have the EZT drives, the SD has the ZT2800 drives, and the SDX has the ZT3100 drives...which which make it a HD homeowner or light commercial mower...

Eric VW, Horkn and eatonpcat like this.
  8. Horkn

Horkn

For 5k, the sdx really isn't competing with the models we were talking about earlier though. The regular raptor yes, but again it has the ezt hydros ( 2200 series).

Now for 4k it looks, you can get the SD with the serviceable drives, 54" deck and either a Kawi or Kohler. That looks like a nice middle ground. The ariens ikon XL also h as the 2800 hydros for 4k

Last edited: Aug 5, 2019
  9. Haftacut

Haftacut

I know this is an older thread, but 4k:rofl: :lol:…..what a difference a few years makes! Looking to get into a zero turn. Thanks brenndatomu you answered my suspicions on the zt2200 hydrostats. “Unserviceable” just didn’t seem like a great idea. I’m sure they work well for some and are definitely in a different price point, which is appealing. Kinda got it down between the bad boy zt elite and the country clipper boulevard. Both with Kawasaki engines. Zt3100 vs zt2800 hydros. Little bit beefier deck on the bad boy. Both right about 6k, which seems about the best price point to me for what you’re getting. I’m already ruined cause I mow my mother in laws with my father in laws turf tiger with the kubota diesel. I’ve already accepted this:rofl: :lol: Do I seem to be thinking right about all this? Done most of my own research and when I ask people their opinions, they don’t seem to really understand what they do or don’t have. It’s just a mower to most people!

Screwloose, RCBS and brenndatomu like this.
  10. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

With just a cursory comparison of those 2 models, the BB ZT Elite looks to me to be slightly more bang for the buck...but the CCB has a lil longer warranty? If so, it figures...never an easy/clear cut decisions with these things! :hair:
    You look at Toro? Last I looked at things Toro had some competitive stuff...but after I bought my commercial Mini Z Hustler a few years back, I quit paying much attention to mowers...figured I got things covered for a very long time...if it ever breaks, its worth fixing! Glad I bought when I did, prices (even used) have gone coo-coo since then!

Last edited: May 19, 2024
    Screwloose, farmer steve and Haftacut like this.
  11. Haftacut

Haftacut

Good point on the warranty! The bad boy deserves also Carrie’s toro, so I’ll have them show me a comp in the toro line. I also looked at the Walker model R, but although I like the design for getting Under the edge of the pine trees I have, I don’t feel I’d be getting as much for the money. Inferior hydros, lighter deck construction, and no Kawasaki engine option.

Screwloose and brenndatomu like this.
  12. Haftacut

Haftacut

Gravely, toro, John Deere, bad boy, and country clipper all have dealers in closest town. Hustler about 40 minutes away. Walker about an hour away, but ruled out as an option.

13. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

I wasn't impressed by Walker either.
    I see the BB sports independent front suspension too...if you have a rough yard.
    Also, the BB is heavier...which should mean heavier/more steel in it?
    Interesting option on the CC...it has optional joystick steering, left or right hand! I tried one with a joystick control years ago, thought I'd love it, but hated it!

Last edited: May 19, 2024
    Screwloose and Haftacut like this.
  14. Haftacut

Haftacut

Neighbor has a country clipper with the joystick, and loves it! I’m used to the two levers and think I’ll stick with those regardless of what I end up with.

15. John D

John D

Serviceability is king hustlers are good mowers

16. farmer steve

farmer steve

Screwloose, brenndatomu and Haftacut like this.
  17. RCBS

RCBS

You absolutely want brand new? I was able to finance a Kubota unit with 800 hours on it through the dealer. Had been hunting a Grasshopper diesel with out front deck when I happened upon a good deal on the Kubby. It might actually be worth a little more 6 years later than I paid for it. Just a thought.

18. Eggshooterist

Eggshooterist

19. farmer steve

farmer steve

I thought that when I looked at them at my dealer. Very similar to my ferris.

20. Haftacut

Haftacut

Not opposed if the right unit comes along that’s not near the price of new. The bad boy dealer has some used stuff in stock. Actually the one that sparked my interest was a kubota with around a 150hrs zt3100 hydros, Kawasaki engine, and a 54” deck if I remember correctly. I’ll check it out when I go tomorrow.

Screwloose, RCBS, eatonpcat and 4 others like this.