In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Are you Gen X? Want to do a little time travelling?

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by RCBS, Jun 13, 2023.

1. RCBS

RCBS

A generation that walked to school and then walked back. -cheese box (not allow to walk the 2.5 miles to school, but allowed to walk/bike to the store another 1/2 mile further away ?) lol probably thought I'd ditch...and they weren't wrong
    A generation that did their homework alone to get out asap to play in the street. -did mine while still at school or not at all
    A generation that spent all their free time in the streets with their Friends. "Where's John? 'He's Grounded till July.'
    A generation that played hide and seek when dark. -Flashlight Army was neighborhood variant, and whole neighborhood participated
    A generation that made mud cakes. -possibly ingested a pound or two
    A generation that collected sports cards. -Ahyup.
    A generation that found, collected and washed & Returned empty coke bottles to the local grocery store for 5 cents each , then bought a Mountain Dew and candy bar with the money. -couple more return trips and I'll have enough money to pay shipping for the Refridgerator Perry mail order G.I. Joe figure! (needed flag points also)
    A generation that made paper toys with their bare hands. -a fond memory of preschool involves a paper airplane I made
    A generation who bought vinyl albums to play on record players. -even had a couple books that had records on the pages
    A generation that collected photos and albums of clippings of their life experiences as a Kid. -thanks to my Mother, I still have some of them
    A generation that played board games and cards on rainy days. - who else brought extra money from their home Monopoly set?? :emb:
    A generation whose TV went off at midnight after playing the National Anthem. -did have HBO, still not sure if that is a good thing or bad
    A generation that had parents who were there. -both worked full time during my formative years. Mom always got me to practice on time.
    A generation that laughed under the covers in bed so parents didn't know we were still awake. -many fun reasons to 'sneak out' and few real worries
    A generation that is passing and unfortunately it will never return no matter how hard we try. -majority of zoomers have Gen X parents - there is still hope
    I loved Growing up when I did. it was the best of times. -would be very difficult to pick a 'better' time & place. If I ever went without, I didn't know it

2. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

I just mapped it. We rode our bikes regularly 3.5 miles to and from school. And that was at a pretty young age too. All the way up through teens, when we got into tricks and skating. My best friend lived a bit father and he had one of these that we'd take turns pushing to get there.
    [​IMG]

3. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

Yes! Dang, I didn't think anyone else did it. It was like patting hamburgers but with mud.

4. Erik B

Erik B

Most of us had everything we needed but very little of what we wanted. And that wasn't bad

5. John D

John D

that is definitely how it was

6. John D

John D

That is what made us who we are today

7. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

x2

8. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Me too.
    I always laugh at the one about playing in the streets. We played in yards, fields, woods and haymows.
    No homework for school.
    No sports cards.
    Empty pop bottles brought only .02
    Mountain dew was unheard of.
    We had no TV before I was a teenager.

wildwest, JD Guy, metalcuttr and 2 others like this.
  9. Eggshooterist

Eggshooterist

I can relate to nearly everything in this post. Lol

10. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

11. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Did you use Google Earth? Which tool?
    upload_2024-6-10_20-44-25.png

The Wood Wolverine likes this.
  12. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

I just used Google maps to find the distance. Entered in both addresses.

13. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Oh lol. I was going to do my schools but both involved crossing through back yards and greenbelts etc., not just roads. Guesstimate both were under 1 mile.

14. RCBS

RCBS

As a kid when I saw someone putting on Hawaiian Tropic I would think "why are you trying to cook yourself?" :rofl: :lol: I was out of doors enough that I never needed to 'work' on a tan. Used to get my haircut at a place that had tanning beds. Smelled like burnt skin in there TBH.

15. BCB

BCB

Oh man one of the thing I miss doing the most from back then were the group bike rides with my friends. We'd pick a day to meet up at someones house and we'd all bike 7-8 miles to the mall for the afternoon. We'd hit up the arcade and the food court then peddle back home. I had an awesome blue Diamondback bmx bike (which got stolen out of the church basement on Sunday morning, go figure) and my last bmx bike was a Dyno.
    Making tracks back in the woods was a lot of fun too. Ramps, banked turns, etc. Sadly those woods are now a housing development.

16. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

17. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

18. JD Guy

JD Guy

Had not thought about this in many, many years! We were the baby boomer kids…..Yes, life was decidedly different:yes:

19. Biddleman

Biddleman

Antique store in strasburg, pa. Old 60-70 schwinn bikes on one floor. Second floor they had bikes from 80s/90s . I was back in time. :) Oh how I wanted some of these bikes in the 80s and would drool over them in a magazine call BMX Plus. My parents could barely afford a huffy and living in the boonies, it wasn't like I could mow lawns to earn money. Looking at some of these I was still like some of these are so bad azz!
    20240626_135519.jpg

20240626_135355.jpg

20240626_135240.jpg

20240626_135300.jpg

Dok440, metalcuttr, Softwood and 2 others like this.
  20. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine