In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Solidbiofuels.com

Discussion in 'The Pellet Bag' started by Warner, Mar 31, 2024.

1. Warner

Warner

wildwest likes this.
  2. Skier76

Skier76

Good price for softies. Wonder what the delivery cost would be.

wildwest likes this.
  3. Warner

Warner

The website says shipping is included in the price. However, when I put my NH address in it adds a 55$ charge for Tax. Not sure what that tax would be for.

wildwest likes this.
  4. Skier76

Skier76

That’s definitely odd. May be worth a call to them?

wildwest likes this.
  5. chris

chris

what is your state sales tax rate? most of the states have joined in on cross boarder sales tax . So what happens is you get charged for sales tax of your state on an out of state purchase. That tax money is then forwarded to your state. Nothing sacred when the tax man cometh.
    In the city where my shop is the tax rate jumped from 5.5% to 7.9% so now it is 5% for state .7% for county and 2.2% for the city. another section of the area same county the sales tax is 5.7% different city. once out of this county it reverts to 5.5% most everywhere else but there are some other cities/counties that have upped the rates as well, not that high though. Course Milwaukee, city of, did away with the personal property tax on biz. But they will make out like bandits now with this tax. I have custom grinding wheels made, there are minimum orders for these, so that $400 bill is now 430+ and still have to add shipping on top of that. shipping has gone ballistic as well. Raise my pricing to cover added cost and still make profit ( drives customers away) move shop to a less tax happy area, that would incur apx 10 grand and the rent would double or triple. So that doesn't work well. Just plain shut down ( I'm 73 , running my own shop for 30+ years) I can still do some work from home. That brings up shipping or pick up and delivery and I live 45 miles from shop. Fuel prices being what they are, in shop 3 days a week runs apx $300 to $400/ month now. It would be possible to purchase a cheaper vehicle to drive for that purpose only which I could write off over the course of 7 years, better option is lease. That can be written off 100% each year. Even that has it down side due to the cost of cars/trucks, + insurance. So ends our biz economics discussion for today. :hair: Forgot to add that commercial use of car/truck insurance is about double personal.

moresnow, wildwest and Softwood like this.
  6. Warner

Warner

No sales tax here. That’s why I question it.

wildwest likes this.
  7. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

same for me in WY. How can they afford to ship 3 tons for that price?

8. Warner

Warner

IDK, I plan to call them tomorrow to see if it’s legit. Sounds too good to be true. Softwood pellets are in the 400$ a pallet range around here. If it is legit I know of a bunch of people that would be on it like flies on…

Softwood and wildwest like this.
  9. Warner

Warner

I have a coworker that is always buying into scams. He is still waiting for a 5000$ tool Box he sent 500$ for over a year ago. He payed almost 500/ a ton for softwood pellets this year, I sent him the link maybe he will test the waters! Lol.

Softwood and wildwest like this.
  10. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

+ they do credit/debit cards
    - other forms of payment are odd to me

What are your forms of payment?
    We accept all Credit/Debit Cards, Direct Deposit, Zelle, Interac e-Transfer & Bitcoin payment.

11. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

I wonder if that was the same place that had black diamond log splitters for real cheap a while back...like $185 IIRC...I looked at the site for a while and it really looked legit, but after researching the company it just didn't feel right, and too cheap to be real, so I moved on...but they had some big fancy tool boxes cheap too.

wildwest and Warner like this.
  12. bogieb

bogieb

I'm skeptical since they don't give names of what the pellets are. But, maybe they are using furniture shavings - I see you get to "pick" what type of wood.

Well, trucking costs have gone down apparently. It is usually at least $85 to have HD deliver bulk items to me (they are about 35 miles away). It has been that way for years. I just had pellets delivered a month ago and they only charged $79.

Over the weekend I ordered something else (that will also come on a pallet and is not light) and the shipping charge is only $55.

Hey Warner , if you go thru with it LMK how it works out. Once I get the garage floor replaced, I want to stuff my garage again if I can get a decent price.

wildwest likes this.
  13. Warner

Warner

I’ll update when/ if anything happens.

since we are pretty close in location I was curious what on average you pay per ton retail?

wildwest and bogieb like this.
  14. Warner

Warner

I think it was FBMP but not 100% on that. There have been so many. Lol

wildwest and brenndatomu like this.
  15. bogieb

bogieb

Well, I only buy when on sale. I got 4 tons from HD at the end of March for $329/ton (before my 10% off coupon) and that was way more than I've ever paid.

I could also get MWPs at the local TSC for the same price. I think Agway has NEWPS for $350/ton and Aubuchon's is somewhere around there for GS. Last time I bought pellets was spring of 2022 when HD had a brief, but awesome sale for $177/ton and I got 6 tons.

I also try to keep an eye on CL/FBM for deals from individuals during the summer. The last two summers have not been fruitful in that regard, though.

wildwest likes this.
  16. Warner

Warner

Thanks, some parts for the new to me pellet burner are being delivered today. There were some in the stoves hopper when I got it but I sucked them out when I was cleaning. I stopped at the tractor supply in Leominster to grab a bag for test purposes. There was a steady line of people walking out with pellet bags in their cart. When I got to the pallet with the pellets on it there were 9 bags left. Checking out the lady looked at me strange and said “why only one bag?” I told her what it was for and I didn’t need more at the moment. She said they had been out and just got that ton in less than an hour ago. I said I should buy the last few bags and sell them out front for double. She didn’t think it was funny.

17. bogieb

bogieb

My local TSC was rationing at 5 bags per person over the weekend and ran out on Monday (I've never seen that happen at this store since they opened 7-8 years ago). They weren't supposed to get a delivery until Friday, but last word on my local FB page was they should get an early delivery sometime today.

ttdberg likes this.
  18. Hygor Pontes

Hygor Pontes

Looks like the site is down?

wildwest likes this.
  19. Warner

Warner

I called the number that was listed on the site a couple times never got anybody to pick up. Left a message with call back number never heard anything. Smelt a little too fishy for me. Didn’t put in an order.

bogieb likes this.
  20. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Nice to meet you Hygor :)

Hygor Pontes likes this.