In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Severe Weather ?

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by thewoodlands, Feb 2, 2017.

1. Well Seasoned

Well Seasoned Administrator

Snowing here, very windy, storm expected to wrap around and really take off- power has been on and off

2. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Hoarders are great, about 10 inches of heavy white with 1/4 inch of ice at bottom.. roads questionable
    House is warm with or without power

calls saying my house is getting cold..
    Stove room is 80..

3. fuelrod

fuelrod

We just had some more thunder! Heard it around 9pm last night also.
    It's a very strange kinda muffled sound. Very different than summertime thunder.

4. bogieb

bogieb

Final tally here was about 12" (unless I got some overnight). Very heavy snow that compacted tremendously as we kept changing from sleet to snow to wintry mix back to snow. I again had someone come and clean out the berm from the road plow in the morning as I wouldn't get to clean up until after work. Glad I did that because it took forever just to snow blow the (short ) single car driveway and around the mailbox. There was no going off to do the paths as it just compacted and to go forward the wheels dug into the dirt. I shoveled out the fence gates, ramp to shed and path between the north gate and the back porch stairs. That little bit took me an hour and 15 minutes.

I never truly lost power - just lots of blips and every one of my UPS' were working hard to keep pellet stoves and internet modem going as I was working. Turned on the news after doing what cleanup I could and they said 20% of NH was without power.

I heard/felt a tree fall in the lot behind me early yesterday morning. No damage to any buildings so that is good. Never had this crabapple branch get so bent. Where the main bend is at is usually about 15' (or more) in the air with the rest going pretty straight up. I couldn't walk under it without stooping and I'm only 5'6" (probably 5'5" as I've gotten older). The picture was taken at 10am and it didn't shed any snow until shortly before 4pm.

crabapple branch hanging low.jpg

Did make some cool patterns in the chain link fence
    Chain link fence patterns.jpg

When looking straight on, the chainlink fence was turned into a privacy fence by the snow - you should be able to see the big boulder and tree trunks behind it

Chain link fence almost privacy fence.jpg

5. bogieb

bogieb

Well, I guess we did get a few more inches of snow overnight (and currently snowing). 1st pic is of the crabapple tree late yesterday afternoon after it shed some snow. Second pic is from just now (3:30 am)

crabapple branch shed snow 4-4-2024 pm.jpg crabapple branch new snow 4-5-2024 am.jpg

6. John D

John D

The fence is really cool

7. Well Seasoned

14" Total, still snowing lightly. The wind was bad yesterday morning but tapered off in the afternoon thankfully as the snow had some weight behind it.

8. fuelrod

fuelrod

Nothing is quite as "cozy" as looking outside with your morning coffee and fresh snow! 20240405_065603.jpg

9. EODMSgt

EODMSgt

Ended up with around 18-20 out of this storm. Still forecasted to get some snow today until around early afternoon when it will then rain through tomorrow (just what we need on top of the snow). Still lots of people without power in the state but thankfully we only lost it a couple times for about eight hours total. I was just about ready to break out the generator yesterday afternoon when it came back on. Only going to do a rough clean up due to the mess this heavy wet snow and unfrozen ground is making and will let the warmer temps coming in do the rest. Actually glad for the mess because hopefully it will help keep some of the horde of eclipse sightseers from wandering around my property on Monday.

The pic is of the spring that flows through my property.

20240404_130122.jpg

10. Erik B

Erik B

bogieb I see you mentioned having a UPS or 2. What brand and size do you use? I have tried buying a UPS from Best Buy and they don't seem to last long.

11. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

With a career in IT, I use UPS'. The APC brand.

Longevity depends on use and load. Typically, 3-5 years. For the $'s, one would expect longer use. Some models have the ability to replace batteries. Some don't.

Backwoods Savage and bogieb like this.
  12. Well Seasoned

I'm currently in Lisbon NH and evidently folks a couple towns south felt an earthquake that I heard was epicenter in jersey

13. John D

John D

I was looking saying a cup of coffee that is a nice view then I zoomed in and holy crap that is some snow

14. John D

John D

That stream is really nice

Backwoods Savage, bogieb and EODMSgt like this.
  15. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Agreed, your Spring makes a nice stream!

16. fuelrod

fuelrod

20240405_075809.jpg

20240405_075825.jpg
    I measured for the first time this morning, 16-17". I'm pretty sure it settled a bit being wet & heavy.
    20240405_065502.jpg
    When a clothesline looks like this!:rofl: :lol:

17. EODMSgt

EODMSgt

A lot of years it's dry on the surface during the warmer months but with all the rain we had last year, it never stopped flowing above ground. It's obviously being fed now by melting runoff. I want to bury a cistern closer to the house (where the spring is all underground) to filter a sustainable water source for the garden (and as a back up to the well).

18. Well Seasoned

I'd be curious of how this is done.....

Backwoods Savage, EODMSgt and bogieb like this.
  19. bogieb

bogieb

I had two of the old APC BE750G models on my pellet stoves as both a surge protector and safety feature (on Harman's, they will tell the stoves to shut down gracefully if there is an outage - not meant to run long term, but keeps the exhaust fan pulsing to evict smoke while the stove shuts down). When I went to replace batteries about 1.5 years ago, I found that they were obsolete.

I decided to try an APC BE850G2 UPS, and it worked as expected for the the main floor stove so got a second one for the basement stove. I think they were around $90-100. They go for more most of the time but they also go on sale on a regular basis.

Then I went look for a replacement battery for the old 750 units to put my modem and router on (I only had a surge protector at that time). I did a bunch of research and Schneider Electric (APC) has a page where you can find the correct replacement battery - so I got the suggested RBC. Could have gotten one a little cheaper on Amazon, but a lot of those batteries are not the real deal, nor have the several year warranty, so I bought directly from Schneider (looked it up - only $59, so not expensive).

All of them worked well. When I had flickers, there were multiples within a short time span - literally on/off/on/off/on/off/on/off/on/off and finally on. All my equipment worked flawlessly (my work laptop never lost connectivity to the servers).

Erik B, Backwoods Savage and MikeInMa like this.
  20. bogieb

bogieb

A guy I work with, who is in PA, had IM'd me asking if I was available for a phone call. I replied that I was, and waited, and waited and waited. He finally called 10-15 minutes later. He said that a quake had just hit and he had gone outside and stayed there for a few minutes in case there were aftershocks. I didn't notice anything, but I might have mistaken any noise/movement to big trucks going by or people cleaning up plowing.

When I was on FB at the end of the day, a guy in VT had posted saying he felt it.