In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

The 2024 march

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by jrider, Mar 12, 2024.

1. jrider

jrider

Time for my annual “march” to something thread. It first started a number of years ago with a goal of 150 cords. Last year was much bigger but I didn’t sell out so I don’t know what to march to in 2024 exactly but I have some things in mind.
    Since I didn’t sell out last year, my inventory is already off to a great start. I’ve also had college kids who worked over break again and they got me off to a great start on newly processed wood for this year. In previous years, my focus was just on increasing my volume. This year I am starting to focus on markets I haven’t touched much yet such as bagged firewood and selling 1/4 and 1/3 bins of short cutoffs. I dabbled with both of them this fall/winter but I see some real potential there, especially in non heating seasons. Here are pictures taken a couple weeks ago, before I ventured off to Killington Vermont to ski the last 3 weekends and was too busy to create this thread. There have been a decent number of log drop offs in the past few weeks as the tree guys get busier again. Going to be another busy firewood year. 2024 march, here we go!

Attached Files:

2. jrider

jrider

If my estimates are accurate, and they usually are fairly close, I have about 220 cords so far. 130 of them will be seasoned 18-24 months by the time I move them next heating season.

3. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Another annual FHC tradition I enjoy following. Simply amazing the volume of wood you produce Joe.

Yeah I had good luck with my nuggets/shorts this season. Best of luck with your new ventures and let us know how you make out with them.

4. Yawner

Yawner

Brad, what do you mean by that, selling shorts/nuggets? How do you price relative to 'normal' firewood? I always have too many "shorts/uglies." Heck, I've been trying to GIVE some away for a month, lol.

jrider, you have quite an operation. You also have a job, I think. Do you profit nicely from your firewood? Just curious, lots of wood you handle and you've been doing it awhile and I don't recall you getting any crazy good price for firewood there.

John D, T.Jeff Veal, Chaz and 4 others like this.
  5. jrider

jrider

I try to mark as much as possible 16" before I cut it. However, if I have a log that is 90" long, I will make it 15". Now lets say I have a log that is only 85" or maybe 101" or so I will cut all 16" and then have the 5"-10" piece left. I split them and toss them into an ibc tote. I used to have a hard time getting rid of them but it has gotten easier and easier. I have advertised them as "perfect for your outdoor fire pit, small stove, or those solo outdoor stoves and people are buying them up at regular price - no discounts.

Yes, this firewood thing is a side hustle to supplement my time and income as a high school teacher. As the years have gone on, I have hired out more of the splitting but I do all of the cutting and keeping things going smoothly. It started as Christmas money when I was in college at 19 years old and stayed small (under 40 cords) until about 12 years ago or so. I did around 100 cords for a few years and the last few years have just gotten bigger and bigger. If I were where I'm at firewood wise 15-20 years ago, I would have gotten out of teaching all together but now I'm at the top of the pay scale and close enough to a full pension, it wouldn't make sense.

As far as the profits go, I am pretty much the highest priced seller in my immediate area. There is more money to be had as you get into the bigger suburbs of Philadelphia (I'm south Jersey) but I just don't have the time come delivery season to make that happen. I keep track of all expenses and profit margins average 60-65% of total sales.

I like to keep my equipment to a minimum for a few reasons. I am not a mechanic so breakdowns cost me money. I don't have the time or patience to make major repairs. I enjoy making firewood so I will pay someone so I can continue to do what makes me happy. I also don't want to have any monthly payments. I have access to my families JD 1070 with forks. I have a tw6 and iron and oak splitter, 3 saws, a couple wheelbarrows, a bunch of ibc totes, and an f350 dump truck.

6. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Basically cut offs, knots, splitter chunks that I "stack" in half cord bins. I market to the small stove owners. My CL ad for them did very well this season. The way I score inventory I end up with a lot of them. I get the same price for them as normal length wood.[/QUOTE]

Last edited: Mar 13, 2024
  7. Yawner

Yawner

Thanks for the answers jrider and brad. It's nice to know some make good profit, lol. And sell chunks at regular price!

I don't know what the percentage is but I have a lot of 'uglies,' these are gnarly knots and such. Flat out ugly pieces! I burn what I can myself but I have lots more. Uglies might not appeal to buyers! But I can get rid of it to people burning in firepits or deer camps, etc.

T.Jeff Veal, Chaz and brenndatomu like this.
  8. jrider

jrider

So I pretty much only sell the short cutoffs, split down to normal size so they still look nice but aren't consistent in size. The real uglies get burned in my owb so they provide free heat.

9. jrider

jrider

Cut some logs for the first time in about 5-6 weeks. It’s either been soaking wet or I’ve been up north skiing. Decided to work on this pile of large oak logs. Most range from 18”-32” in diameter. Am starting a new pile. It’s not often my splitter gathers this much rust.

Attached Files:

10. John D

John D

Nice job I hope you nothing but the best on your goals for this year

jrider, T.Jeff Veal and buZZsaw BRAD like this.
  11. Wouldsplitter

Wouldsplitter

With all due respect, please buy a new tape measure.

12. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

Looking good, my friend. I finally started using 2 halves of IBC bladder to cover the Wolfe Ridge. 20240222_115957.jpg

Chaz, brenndatomu, John D and 2 others like this.
  13. jrider

jrider

Thank you!

Chaz, John D, buZZsaw BRAD and 2 others like this.
  14. jrider

jrider

LOL. I take pride in wearing things out!

Haftacut, Chaz, Sandhillbilly and 6 others like this.
  15. jrider

jrider

I keep the engine covered with an old pool tarp. What do you do about the wind?

16. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

Bungee cords

Chaz, Irishman29, John D and 3 others like this.
  17. JD Guy

JD Guy

It’s much better than my method……nick it with a chainsaw:rofl: :lol:

Chaz, John D, jrider and 3 others like this.
  18. Stephiedoll

Stephiedoll

Good luck with the March sir Joe. Always nice to follow along.

Chaz, LCBug, jrider and 2 others like this.
  19. jrider

jrider

It’s been a fun last few weeks for me. Took my 12yo son skiing in Utah (his first time) during spring break. Went back to work for a week and then took a cruise out of Florida to the Bahamas. Got back into the swing of things wood wise yesterday and today. Cut up some Goldilocks diameter oak although they are all short so it’s kind of a pain. Also got some bigger diameter oak cut up for the tw6. Had some guys splitting the big stuff and have about a 6-8 cord pile going.

Attached Files:

20. jrider

jrider

Also had a land clearing guy reach out to me and am taking a few loads of processor quality logs from him. Never have done this before but I will be able to work this stuff up much faster.

Attached Files:

Haftacut, Chaz, Sandhillbilly and 9 others like this.