In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Sales still above last year

Discussion in 'The Wood Market' started by EODDiver, Feb 25, 2023.

1. Haftacut

Haftacut

Nice job on the chimney! You picked a great time to do that between sales slowing and not having to do it in the heat, especially if you spent any time in the attic.

2. EODDiver

EODDiver

View attachment 411229 Stove install complete and have it loaded for an early morning ignition. Had to turn down two deliveries today because of the install. This time of year I get a lot of calls wanting firewood today.
    View attachment 411229 IMG_0712.jpeg

T.Jeff Veal likes this.
  3. EODDiver

EODDiver

$6,950 total to get this Lopi Endeavor in place and ready to burn. Cost and time of installation was increased by locating the stove where we wanted it vice the easiest route through the ceiling and roof. $2,000 tax credit from the inflation reduction act will help make this install a no brainer.

T.Jeff Veal and Haftacut like this.
  4. EODDiver

EODDiver

5. EODDiver

EODDiver

Install clearances were on the money from the hearth pad, stove, piping to the top of the chimney cap. Have to say I am nervous about lighting the first fire in the morning. Fire extinguisher is at the ready.

6. Haftacut

Haftacut

I’m sure it’ll be fine. I remember feeling that way when I first started burning my morso. Even though you know you did it all right, you just can’t help but think “what if”. Enjoy the new stove!

T.Jeff Veal, theburtman and EODDiver like this.
  7. Softwood

Softwood

[​IMG]

T.Jeff Veal and Haftacut like this.
  8. EODDiver

EODDiver

Lit off the Lopi at 6:45 with a slow burn for :45 and then a medium burn for another :45. Four medium splits of white oak lasted until 2pm and then put in two pieces of maple which is still going strong. House is up to 72 and the wife and I are in shorts and t-shirts vice fleece and beanies. What a life changing event!
    IMG_1052.jpeg

Dok440, booneatl, Moparguy and 5 others like this.
  9. EODDiver

EODDiver

And three hickory ricks ordered today for a Tuesday delivery. Hickory is steadily taking over white oak as my most demanded firewood.

Moparguy likes this.
  10. EODDiver

EODDiver

All our friends and family members have told us we are burning up our profits by burning firewood. Might be true, but what is the price of warmth?

Moparguy and T.Jeff Veal like this.
  11. EODDiver

EODDiver

Well over 50k of hickory and white oak in the wood yard. Trying to build this coming Winter’s inventory early so I don’t have to play in the heat and humidity of July and August.

Moparguy and WinonaRail like this.
  12. EODDiver

EODDiver

IMG_0698.jpeg

Attached Files:

Moparguy and WinonaRail like this.
  13. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

You don't have to burn the good stuff. We burn mostly the shorts, uglies, culls. And sell the premium splits.

14. RCBS

RCBS

EOD, may I ask you what lengths you are selling to the Solo customers? I'm thinking of testing market here. Unsure what lengths to make.

Moparguy and buZZsaw BRAD like this.
  15. Eric Wanderweg

Eric Wanderweg

Same here. After selling almost my entire stock of 3 1/2 year old red oak this year, all I'm left over with from those piles are all the shorts/uglies that were buried in the center. Fine by me :thumbs:

16. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Holy cow I've not seen that close of clearances before. You could cover the walls behind for some piece of mind and not worry?

17. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

For grins and giggles, what type of Hickory? Not that most in the general public would know there’s more than one type of Hickory…
    :whistle:

18. EODDiver

EODDiver

I pretty much cut everything to 16" except when I am cutting and carrying big pieces out of the woods. I cut 14-15" on the big stuff or if it is knotty. Solo folks are happy with 14-16", but nothing longer as is the case with all types of burning (wood stoves, smokers, small fire places).

19. EODDiver

EODDiver

Bitternut makes up the majority of my hickory inventory. I did score a large shagbark last Fall that needs another couple months of seasoning. I probably left two face cords of the main trunk because it was too big and knotty to mess with. Noodling big pieces so I could lift it into my truck wasn't worth the effort when I have a lot of easier stuff to cut and purchase. Shagbark is supposedly the best and highest BTU hickory. I'll have to wait until this coming Fall to see if I can tell the difference when burning varieties of hickory.

Moparguy, Eric VW and T.Jeff Veal like this.
  20. EODDiver

EODDiver

Lopi manual showed 6.5" clearance from stove top to walls and 15" from stove pipe to walls when using close clearance piping (double wall). I was worried about the close fit, but the walls and piping stayed pretty cool. Too much further out from the walls would have eaten up our dining room area and required a new smaller table.

Moparguy, wildwest and T.Jeff Veal like this.