In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Trail Work

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Jack Straw, Sep 18, 2014.

  1. Jack Straw

    Jack Straw

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    8,402
    Likes Received:
    52,443
    Location:
    30 miles west of Albany Ny
    We bought the lot next to ours 4 years ago and I've always wanted to clear a trail around the perimeter. I got around the back corner and found an old trail.
    image.jpg
    I used the box scraper to smooth it out.
    image.jpg
    I even got some logs
    image.jpg
     
  2. papadave

    papadave

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,181
    Likes Received:
    82,470
    Location:
    Right where I want to be.
    Nice Jack.
    Most of those look barkless.
     
    Jack Straw likes this.
  3. Shawn Curry

    Shawn Curry

    Joined:
    Jul 31, 2014
    Messages:
    3,755
    Likes Received:
    22,702
    Location:
    Western NY
    That's awesome. I hope to do the same thing one day. My neighbor to the east of me, owns the 30 acre wooded lot on the west side of my property. But they don't do anything with it, besides paying the property tax. They've given me permission to manage it, but I hope to buy it from them someday.
     
  4. Jack Straw

    Jack Straw

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    8,402
    Likes Received:
    52,443
    Location:
    30 miles west of Albany Ny
    Have 22 acres, but I would like to have more.
     
  5. Shawn Curry

    Shawn Curry

    Joined:
    Jul 31, 2014
    Messages:
    3,755
    Likes Received:
    22,702
    Location:
    Western NY
    As papadave would say, "more is gooder!" Or like my dad would say, "too much is always enough!"
     
  6. My IS heats my home

    My IS heats my home

    Joined:
    Dec 1, 2013
    Messages:
    7,394
    Likes Received:
    17,655
    Location:
    Albany, NH
    Jack, sounds like you could following Zaps footsteps. It's nice to know you
    can provide for your family using your own property, in this case heating
    your home with the wood.
     
    Backwoods Savage and Jack Straw like this.
  7. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    Nice work Jack, the wood makes it even better.
     
    Backwoods Savage and Jack Straw like this.
  8. Jack Straw

    Jack Straw

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    8,402
    Likes Received:
    52,443
    Location:
    30 miles west of Albany Ny
    We've been planting fruit tress, bushes and expanding the garden. We would like to be as self sufficient as possible.
     
  9. Shawn Curry

    Shawn Curry

    Joined:
    Jul 31, 2014
    Messages:
    3,755
    Likes Received:
    22,702
    Location:
    Western NY
    Sounds like I'm trying to follow in Jack's footsteps! I got some apple trees in this year, but I want a couple peach and cherry too. I had transplanted some black cherry from the woods into my little "orchard", before I knew that they don't produce the sort of fruits you buy at the store. :confused: I also put in a little herb garden this year, but a real garden is on the honey-do list for next year. But first I'll need a tractor like his!

    You guys are my heroes, man.. :tears:
     
  10. Stinny

    Stinny

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2013
    Messages:
    14,138
    Likes Received:
    60,665
    Location:
    western Maine
    Looks like a double score. Trail and firewood. Path around our 14 acres here, on the list too. How much will your bucket lift?
     
  11. Jack Straw

    Jack Straw

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    8,402
    Likes Received:
    52,443
    Location:
    30 miles west of Albany Ny
    Don't know
     
    Stinny likes this.
  12. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,979
    Likes Received:
    312,157
    Location:
    Central MI
    Put your wife in there and see if it will lift her! Oh, maybe that is a bad idea.

    Looks like you have a nice place there Jack.
     
    Stinny, Shawn Curry and Jack Straw like this.
  13. Jack Straw

    Jack Straw

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    8,402
    Likes Received:
    52,443
    Location:
    30 miles west of Albany Ny
    Thanks, if I put my wife in the bucket I'll be moving in with you.
     
  14. Stinny

    Stinny

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2013
    Messages:
    14,138
    Likes Received:
    60,665
    Location:
    western Maine
    :D
     
    Chvymn99 likes this.
  15. Fanatical1

    Fanatical1

    Joined:
    Feb 10, 2014
    Messages:
    2,688
    Likes Received:
    12,293
    Location:
    Ohio
    Nice trail and really like your trailer...:)

    How did the box blade do for trail leveling? I was thinking of using mine, but wasn't sure about it getting hung up on roots?
     
    Stinny likes this.
  16. Jack Straw

    Jack Straw

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    8,402
    Likes Received:
    52,443
    Location:
    30 miles west of Albany Ny
    It did find every root! I had cut a lot of brush and It did clean that up good. It's a good counter weight when the forks are loaded up.
     
  17. Certified106

    Certified106

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2013
    Messages:
    4,172
    Likes Received:
    11,912
    Location:
    In The Hills
    I have been workign to clear trails all through my property and know how hard that work can be! Great job and nice load of wood to boot!
     
  18. Jack Straw

    Jack Straw

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    8,402
    Likes Received:
    52,443
    Location:
    30 miles west of Albany Ny
    Lots of fun though.:rootintootin:
     
    Stinny likes this.
  19. HoneyFuzz

    HoneyFuzz

    Joined:
    Jan 20, 2014
    Messages:
    4,490
    Likes Received:
    14,862
    Location:
    Northeast , Ohio
    Lookin good !!!
     
    Jack Straw likes this.