In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Homesteading Chicken Coop Build, Chickens, Pond, Garden & Projects

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Interests' started by Well Seasoned, Mar 25, 2018.

1. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

OMG the neighbors puppy just killed over 1/2 my chickens.

2. Chvymn99

Chvymn99 Moderator

Can’t like that…. :headbang: …. I’d be letting them know it too… I had a Neighbor’s husky take a chicken… I told them I’d give them that one… the next one won’t be as nice…

theburtman and wildwest like this.
  3. Biddleman

Biddleman

Oh no wildwest!! How many in total?

Chvymn99 and wildwest like this.
  4. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Peeked my head out to see them and saw several on the ground, went to look, face planted in the same damm spot as about a week ago. Thew the puppy in my house and went to get the neighbor, some were 1/2 dead and still kicking. He took the dead ones and put a couple out of their misery. Out of 12, 5 dead, 5 injured, not sure if they'll make it. 2 are upright and seem okay except rooster missing most his feathers.

Still trembling. Need to calm down a bit and figure out what to do with the injured ones. Dangit guys!

Last edited: Jan 22, 2024
    Chvymn99 likes this.
  5. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Shiney black hen is dead now too.

6. Well Seasoned

Well Seasoned Administrator

Oh nooo, this is terrible! Understandable when a dog can do this, but it's not your dog so I hope your neighbor makes it right with covering the cost of feed, your time raising them, and the loss of the chicken and the eggs. They will definitly need to keep their dog within its bounds as well.

I'm guessing they free range and are not fenced in, in any way?

7. Well Seasoned

I built my coop very well and the run too, but I had a weasel take out 2 hens and almost a third until I saw it on a camera. I was able to dispatch the weasel, and found it somehow make a nice little warm home in the coop under the poop shelf!

That same night it nearly took out a third. Got my hen in the back of the neck, pretty much paralyzed it but something told me to leave it be rather than kill it late that night. As the days passed, the hen slowly healed and is doing fine now.

wildwest , unless you're chickens are too far gone, maybe see if they pull through. They are very resilient creatures!

20240104_210635.jpg

8. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

They are fenced, I'm afraid to let them free range since the neighbor got that puppy. It's one like this only bigger. He slipped through between the chicken wire and bottom post where there was ~2' between zip ties.

[​IMG]

He said he'd replace the chickens but we have to figure out something with his dog first.

Sorry you lost some hens too :(

9. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

Chvymn99, Well Seasoned and wildwest like this.
  10. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Yes, pretty sure 4 will make it, time will tell on 2 in bad shape.

bogieb, Chvymn99 and Well Seasoned like this.
  11. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

WWW is going to come home before the bus arrives at 4:30 to clean a bit before kiddo sees it. And said he's going by Murdochs for a pellet pump gun vs the bb gun we have. Something about less pumps for a sting in the azz.

Chvymn99 likes this.
  12. bogieb

bogieb

:jaw: Sorry about your chickens and hope some of them make it thru the ordeal.

I can see how one would think that fence would keep away dogs - and a lot of them it would. I've actually seen a 35# husky (mother of a couple of husky mixes we had long ago) take a running start, throw herself flat as she reached the fence, and slide right under. Anyone looking at the fence would think there was no way she could get under without digging and no one could figure out what was happening until she did it right in front of people. She figured out trying to wiggle under wouldn't work, but doing the fast slide would.

One of our dogs' siblings, who lived on a friend's farm was killing chicken without even getting into the pen. He would lay there an wiggle his toes until the chickens got curious and stuck their head thru the fence. Then a quick chomp. Once again, it was a matter of actually seeing it happen before they could figure out what was happening. One of ours was tied up and would just lay there until a free-ranger would get within reach and do the same thing (we replaced a lot of BIL's chickens that summer until we got our own place).

13. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Thank you BB, it was SO sad. Lost another one today. I think 4 will make it and fingers crossed on a 5th pulling through. Can't keep a rooster with 4 hens, not ready to get more hens til we figure out the puppy situation. Our rooster is the only one that is named and we're all bonded with that wasn't killed, he's such a good boy! Poor thing has blood on his feet and legs, all his butt feathers and tail feathers are gone, but he's alive

Thanks BB, but the cage was not intended for dogs, it's for containing them while stretching their legs and eating scratch and protect them from hawks/eagles when they are not free ranging, inside that is only dirt, they free range most the summer and find the yummy foliage. Our dog is 95-99% trustworthy, but we don't tempt her and let her out when they are free ranging. Rarely, 2 other neighbors dogs visit but they don't bother our chickens either, and nobody knew this new out of control pup would was coming. Unfinished plan is (lol our bathroom flooring lol), install automatic door, they can do their thing in chicken run and we can freely let our dog in and out. She's trained to sit-stay behind the coop and not ogle the chickens through the very thin chicken wire of the chicken run cage. Sorry you had trouble with dogs & chickens too, you're BIL sounds like a good guy :)

2 more things, 1: I ordered the coolest sounding "virtual fence" dog collar so our dog does not leave our property anymore, thanks again Warner, she's been running off the last couple months. And 2: our neighbor that owns the dog has been gone ALL day (never seen that in 10 years), and it appears and sounds (no barking) the pup is gone too. Prayers he took the dog to Kansas where his wife moved to and he will move to eventually, I hope the pup does not come back. Eeegads, hopefully that S Denver guy that has 3 day/24 hour/day firecracker parties ( he invites and parks like 30 travel trailers on one acre) does not buy his property :hair: He's bought 2 more properties in the last couple years on our road :zip:

Last edited: Jan 23, 2024
    MikeInMa and bogieb like this.
  14. LCBug

LCBug

How sad and infuriating. Glad you have some left.

Chvymn99 and wildwest like this.
  15. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Thank you LCB. It was so bad, I cannot get the severely maimed but not killed hens out of my mind. And that darn pup coming to check on me after I fell with a giant joyous feathered smile. It's all backwards, you know? Have you had this before?

Chvymn99 likes this.
  16. LCBug

LCBug

Scenes like that do stick in the mind. I still see a pile of dead rabbits that were in a chicken pen. It wasn't a neighbors dog but one of our huskies who climbed her fence then climbed another fence and got all 13 buns. We'd been to a local winterfest giving sleddog rides, went out to do chores afterwards and there they were. The wench had even piled some up like you'd pile food on a serving plate. The last couple years I've lost some chooks to a bald eagle. The granddaughter's 2 olive-eggers were last years mortalities, not even laying yet. It really stinks...

bogieb, wildwest and Chvymn99 like this.
  17. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

WWW talked to neighbor tonight, the dog is infact his and is permanent till he moves an undetermined years from now. He gave his word his dog would be tied up all the time (sad for his dog!) He has 2+ acres lake front and the dog is chained to the front of his house :confused: And it's a working breed!

Our rooster will "love" the remaining 3 or 4 hens to death. And we all know an out of control 6+ month old puppy turns into an out of control big dog and they get away when trying to clip the chain to collar.

Do I get more hens to sustain and sentence them to the dirt chicken run cage? Or take the chance on letting them free range on warmer days?

MikeInMa, Chvymn99 and theburtman like this.
  18. Well Seasoned

Free range is best, you'll have loss with different predators but it's best for the chickens. Hopefully the dog gets a pen at least but many owners are irresponsible.

19. jrider

jrider

So was the neighbor apologetic? Has he offered to reimburse your losses? I certainly hope so.

wildwest, Chvymn99 and theburtman like this.
  20. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

It sounds like you and the dog's owner came to some understanding.

Was an incident recorded with the local authorities? Not to do anything more than record the incident, to be referred to should it happen again.

theburtman and wildwest like this.