In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Whilst Overfiring . .

Discussion in 'Modern EPA Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Sirchopsalot, Jan 18, 2024.

1. Sirchopsalot

Sirchopsalot

So I got the Jotul F500 Oslo up to about 700F this morning. I wasn't worried, as the lode had been in for a bit, was topping out, and would drop shortly.
    My SOP for Overfire has been to close the front air intake fully, then in about 15 minutes, she was cooling down.

Today, I decided to open the front door, and let all the heat go up the flue, bypassing the after-burners (secondary burn tubes) essentially.

Where closing down the intake would see movement on the stove-top thermo in about 15 minutes time, opening the front door saw a 100F drop in 5 to 10 minutes.

If I could plug the intake for the after-burners, that might be more effective when done with the front intake. But opening a door is oh-crap quick, and fairly effective.

Curious if anyone has done the same.

2. Eckie

Eckie

Well, that's contrary to what I would have thought. I would have thought that all that air would make it more of a raging inferno. Interesting.

3. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

That works because opening the door (wide open...just cracking it makes an inferno) breaks the negative pressure on the firebox that makes the secondary burn system work.
    Doing this on a cat stove would have to be a last resort SHTF situation IMO, as opening the door would shock the cat big time.
    On most stoves, 700* is still a cruising temp, although maybe toward the upper end...I don't even start sweating until things get over 800-850*. (STT)

Sean, blacktail, coreboy83 and 8 others like this.
  4. Ohio

Ohio

This will cause thermal shock to the catalyst in my stove so I will not be trying this. Opening the the air intake will cool the stove down if it is too hot. Haven’t had that happen since my first year with the fireview, so I should be due for it any day now.

5. Eric Wanderweg

Eric Wanderweg

Unless by front door he means front door of his house, letting that cold air inside...

6. Eckie

Eckie

I would be sweating wwwwaaaaayyyyy before that. Literally and figuratively. 450-500 is hotter than Iike it. I can smell it when it starts getting near 450....

7. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

That's because your paint is still curing! :rofl: :lol:
    Every time you get near, or certainly if you exceed the previous high temp, the paint will further cure.
    But with your layout I can certainly can see how you'd be roasting if that lil monster was over 450! :coldfire: :dennis:

8. Eckie

Eckie

Yes, and I have enough room for clearances from furniture etc, but I think it's pushing that when I get the temps up there. Yes, up there is 450 for me. It's actually the most comfortable in here around 3-350, usually. But again, I'm happy knowing I can have heat in here if we lose power like in the ice storm a couple years ago.

9. oldspark

oldspark

What flue temp do you have at 800 stt?

10. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Dunno...no thermometer on it...oh, and those temps are the peak, and usually don't last long...I wouldn't ever try to run one that hot.

11. oldspark

oldspark

800 even at a peak would make every orifice in my body pucker!

12. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Oh I wasn't gonna fall asleep anytime soon, believe me! :rofl: :lol:

13. Marvin

Marvin

I've hit 800* STT before. Actually I believe it kissed 850* the other night. I have a Condar style flue probe, a copycat Condar and an Auber digital probe. I currently only use the Condar because I need a new probe for the Auber. It was reading 1400* flue temp I believe at the time.

With that being said, I've discovered it is usually pretty accurate up to about 800* flue temp. It then becomes wildly inaccurate and reads 200-300* above what the temp actually is from what I recall when the Auber was working properly. As brenndatomu said, it doesn't stay there long so I only got a little nervous.

wildwest, brenndatomu and oldspark like this.
  14. oldspark

oldspark

So roughly 700 surface temp, thats cookin pretty good. Thanks

wildwest, Marvin and brenndatomu like this.
  15. Sirchopsalot

Sirchopsalot

500 to 600 is cruising temp here. I don't mind if it tops out at 700, but I'll be closing air off beyond that.
    I just opened the stove front door, and all the heat went up the flue.
    I guess if it got up to 800 or was 750 and still climbing, popping the door might be a thing.
    It was an experiment, my hypothesis was that the hot air would go up and out cooling the stove fairly rapidly.

16. Butcher

Butcher

I have the same stove. 700 deg.aint all that bad but probably enough. I have only had 1 overfire condition that made me nervous. I dont know what caused it weather it was thew wood, draft, or indoor conditions but the stove went nuclear right quick. Strange as it may sound I have a ball of tin foil the same size of the main air intake at the bottom rear of the stove. When the stove wanted to go into low earth orbit I just closed the intake air in front and stuffed the tin foil into the main hole in the bottom of the thing and went and grabbed a beer. The flames in there stove looked like the serface of the sun for just a bit and then all was well. No air, no fire

17. Sirchopsalot

Sirchopsalot

And, I was thought-tossing about coming up with a light-weight piece of metal to leave handy . . . thinking the suck would keep it on the intake underneath. or prop it up on a piece of wood or something to hold it up.
    But, it's only gone nuclear when I filled it well and kept adding as it burned. I usually let it burn down further before adding.
    So only once or twice have I puckered a little, 750 and not slowing down. was closing on 800.
    Not sure if stuffing the rear intake would be easier, faster or more effective than popping the door for a few minutes though.
    foil ball is a neat idea.

Jeffrey Svoboda and brenndatomu like this.
  18. Hoytman

Hoytman

They say my Liberty can handle 800F…and I’d be getting nervous at 650F…probably because 350-375F on this Hitzer with OAT’s of 1F this morning and 72F IAT. I’m sort of spoiled I guess. Seriously, 800F on that Liberty would have me worried, even though they claim it can handle it, but geez Louis the paint would be rolling off the walls in here. Of course, then that would have the wife running around…ah…never mind. I’d rather have a ham sandwich.:D:rofl: :lol:

19. Sirchopsalot

Sirchopsalot

800 on the F500 isn't bad if the house is hovering around 60. I wouldn't run it that temp or much more than 500 if the place was already warm.

Ham heh?

brenndatomu likes this.
  20. oldspark

oldspark

Must be good ham.