We found a 15 lb whole ribeye at the store for a little more than they wanted for burger, so of course it followed us home. I just trimmed it and cut it up. I got 18 steaks, a well marbled roast, and a small pot of tallow for rendering. All but 4 steaks are going in the freezer, and the tallow is on the wood stove, after starting it on the electric range. The roast went to my mother in law for sandwiches.
Iguess I should elaborate. My wife is an herbalist and she makes salves and ointments with plants and animal fats. Tallow is very good for your skin and is easily absorbed. She prefers doe tallow, but the deer have not had a lot of fat lately, so beef tallow will be used instead. You can cook french fries in tallow, and they get very crispy. It gives them a nice flavor. I just filtered and bottled it and got almost a quart.
I decided to get a time-lapse of the cooling process, but was a bit late getting the camera set up. Once cold, it will turn a brilliant white.
Mcdonald's built their empire on Tallow Fried potatos. I think they stopped using it in the late 80s.
I thought i had read somewhere it was used for waterproofing. Did a quick search and couldn't find that use for it but closest was leather conditioning. Also found it can be used as flux for soldering and itch releaf. They claim as an antiseptic but I'd stick with neosporin.
Well, based on another thread it could be blended in with some of the “cheap” thin bar oil for tackifier
Yep. Someone sued them when they had a heart attack, even though the tallow had nothing to do with it. They now use veg oil with beef flavor.