In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Solar generator DIY

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by jtakeman, Dec 17, 2023.

1. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

Spent today investigating solar and what is likely our needs. Looks like I need at least 10KW per hour for the current setup and possible more if we go mini split/heat pump. I'd also like a bit of wind added too for the no sun days as we get lots of wind up on the hill. Just rambles for now, But at least I know what we will likely need.

Edit: Seeing solar is just too expensive for this old frugal coot, I'll do a solar generator which is more affordable to start with and then expand it in the future to be more of a whole house off grid system if possible. That is depending on what local code allows!! A portable generator is much easier with local code yadda yadda!!

Last edited: Dec 19, 2023
  2. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear

There is no way in HELL that you need'im 10KW per hour scan your bill and post it in a PM.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2023
  3. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

My worstest day is 45.8Kw and we only getz 5 hours of sun! NO? Added some for the mini split/heat pump JIC

My bestest day was 36.4KW and our average is well over 1000KW a month

Backwoods Savage, bogieb and wildwest like this.
  4. bogieb

bogieb

Does that mean you are going to add a backup battery to use at night? Or are you just figuring in net metering offset? My largest usage yesterday during an hour was at 14.1kw and that was when I used the dryer and the mini split was going at the same time. Course with it being heavily overcast and rainy yesterday, my 8.0kw system only produced 2.1 kwh the entire day. Naturally that isn't a donuts to donuts comparison since you are further south and probably don't have shade issues like I do.

If you are only going for a net metering offset, then you need a full year's usage, then divide by 12. Better yet, 2 year's usage may give you a better idea. I would call in a couple of companies and get their take on what you need. The math came out to 5.0 for my system, until shade was accounted for - and then I also didn't think that most of my panels are not on the south side which also affects calculations. Even if you are going to DIY - let them do the figuring and configuring for free.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2023
    Backwoods Savage and imacman like this.
  5. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear

10kw/hr is 240kw per day what the hell are you running that takes even 5oKW per day. Were is your power bill? Hells bells b talk to the mod. Him needs to go on a power diet.

Backwoods Savage, bogieb and imacman like this.
  6. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

Yeppers, And I want to be as close to off grid as possible. Charge in the day and use batteries at night. Hope to have enough storage until the panels produce and recharge the batts.

I'm only doing the inverter and battery backup DIY. The panels will have to be subbed out to a local contractor.

We have a monitor on the mains and on the big circuits. Plus we used the last 2 years bill average.

How many days do you get the full output per year? That's where I think my figures could go south and not actually have enough.

With 10K of grid, and 5 hours of sun. I bet I barely get 50K. My panels will not be facing south so?? Plus they don't produce squat when its dark out. You wont get 24hrs of full output. Plus I need to over produce to keep the batteries charged. So you have to over produce while the sun is shining.

Everything in dis shack sucks juice. We average 3.2K/day on the water heater. 5K for the electric stove, fridge, freezer, and yadda yadda yadda. Heck the A/C units(4) use close to 10K per day. We are juice hogs. Also why I went with a 200 amp service. Made sure we had plenty.

7. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

Thanks BB, Looks like I got some reading for this rainy day! :D

Backwoods Savage and bogieb like this.
  8. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear

Your mini split removes the A/C component and more, B is right have two or more Solar Rip offs do the heavy lifting batteries add much to the cost. Solar company one wanted me to cut'um trees.

9. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear

Hyper heat units work well to -13 F for heat extraction don't ask why I looked into them.

10. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

I haven't monitored my nuker yet, But at 1200 watts I bet that suks a bit of juice. We use that more than anything. Going to move one of the sensors to that breaker for giggles(might scare me).

Luckily only one dead tree will need cutting. And one maple needs a bit of trimming. Otherwise not much for trees on the lot. If I put the panels in the field I can get a true south aim which would increase there output. Be nice if they were auto tracking too. Even more increase.

So far we have 2 quotes. Both were close with the 24 panels and 10K output. I'll get another in the spring.

11. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear

What do you have and how old is the roof and is there room for a steerable array?

12. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear

I use a nuker a small one and a 1200 watt one not much juice compared to the stove. Need'um bill.

13. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

They don't recommend them for roof mounts. :(

Asphalt roof needs replacement before we can even think about solar. Likely go with a metal roof and also bracing the structure to support the extra weight. I was just curious to see what we needz. If all else fails. I'll just do a solar genny for back up and a half dozen panels. The ROI for solar will likely never get paid in full as we are old. Heck I'd be happy to just cut my bill some. But if I'm gonna spend jingle I'd rather no bill at all. Be nice if they actually paid use for any extra. They don't do that no more!!

One thing that was brought up in a forum was the new flexible panels or maybe the whole roof as a panel. That stuff is new and gaining ground.

14. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

I think I'm good with that stuff. Unfortunately dem numbers have been checked(by 2 sources) and are all real! :( Also my emporia smart home energy monitor confirms the numbers.

:makeitrain"

A bummer is my roof still weeps! I made it better, But still getting a drip around the chimney flashing. Errr!! Luckily I can catch it in a bucket.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2023
  15. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear

Steerable array goes on ground not roof. They hate asphalt roofs

What is the rated power of a panel?

Backwoods Savage, imacman and bogieb like this.
  16. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

400 watts at 36v other quote was 420 watts at 36 volts.

Backwoods Savage, imacman and bogieb like this.
  17. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear

SunPower M series SPR-M440-H-AC
    440 watt stuff.

18. bogieb

bogieb

Hey mods (wildwest or WeldrDave , or Well Seasoned )

Can we move some of this to the Residential Solar thread? Maybe from 51250 thru 51264 (except scajjr's post 51261).

No reason to hijack the Pellet Heads thread when there will be a lot of back and forth with questions and answers/discussions.

19. bogieb

bogieb

Asked the mods to move the other discussion from Pellet Heads over to here.

20. imacman

imacman