In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Ordered a new splitter pump!

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by isaaccarlson, Dec 6, 2023.

  1. isaaccarlson

    isaaccarlson

    Joined:
    Sep 29, 2014
    Messages:
    1,864
    Likes Received:
    11,199
    Location:
    Colfax, WI
    I ran my electric splitter a few days ago and the pump started making some noise. It was second hand, and was never meant to be permanent. It has lasted a while and has allowed me to collect data and see how an electric motor does on a full size wood splitter. I have been wanting a bit more speed, but can't go over about 2 gpm at 3000 psi with the 3hp electric motor. I have also been wanting a detent valve.

    I was cruising around on Surplus Center last night and found both! I'm excited to get everything swapped over and running. I need to weld in a bigger bung on my hydraulic reservoir and add a drain in the bottom. I will also change the oil filter. I'm excited!
     
  2. The Wood Wolverine

    The Wood Wolverine

    Joined:
    Aug 23, 2015
    Messages:
    18,864
    Likes Received:
    121,502
    Location:
    Gettysburg, PA
    :popcorn:
    I've been wanting to get a 2 stage pump for my 10 horse Huskee.
     
  3. brenndatomu

    brenndatomu

    Joined:
    May 29, 2015
    Messages:
    25,160
    Likes Received:
    163,556
    Location:
    NE Ohio
    Single stage? Or you are saying that the high pressure side was 2 GPM?
    You're Huskee came with a 2 stage pump...should be at least a 16 GPM
     
  4. The Wood Wolverine

    The Wood Wolverine

    Joined:
    Aug 23, 2015
    Messages:
    18,864
    Likes Received:
    121,502
    Location:
    Gettysburg, PA
    It has never operated in 2 stage? It's always been one, and slow. I'll have to take a pic next time I can.
     
  5. brenndatomu

    brenndatomu

    Joined:
    May 29, 2015
    Messages:
    25,160
    Likes Received:
    163,556
    Location:
    NE Ohio
    The pump usually says on it somewhere what its rated at.
    What would you estimate your full stroke cycle time at? (warmed up)
    5" bore cylinder with 2" ram and 24" stroke?
     
  6. The Wood Wolverine

    The Wood Wolverine

    Joined:
    Aug 23, 2015
    Messages:
    18,864
    Likes Received:
    121,502
    Location:
    Gettysburg, PA
    Dad has my splitter right now but I’ll get that info soon.
     
  7. Screwloose

    Screwloose

    Joined:
    Jan 15, 2017
    Messages:
    5,638
    Likes Received:
    33,331
    Location:
    SE Wisconsin
    Relief is probably stuck open
     
  8. brenndatomu

    brenndatomu

    Joined:
    May 29, 2015
    Messages:
    25,160
    Likes Received:
    163,556
    Location:
    NE Ohio
    The relief, or the 1st/2nd stage valve?
     
  9. Screwloose

    Screwloose

    Joined:
    Jan 15, 2017
    Messages:
    5,638
    Likes Received:
    33,331
    Location:
    SE Wisconsin
    The relief valve in the pump that gives the 2nd stage.
     
  10. isaaccarlson

    isaaccarlson

    Joined:
    Sep 29, 2014
    Messages:
    1,864
    Likes Received:
    11,199
    Location:
    Colfax, WI
    The old one was 11/1.8 gpm. The new one is 14/1.8.
     
  11. The Wood Wolverine

    The Wood Wolverine

    Joined:
    Aug 23, 2015
    Messages:
    18,864
    Likes Received:
    121,502
    Location:
    Gettysburg, PA
    Didn’t have a tape to measure the cylinder but I did snap a pic of the pump.
    D671ED7A-4545-4F32-8B05-3BEC1310D629.jpeg

    I timed about 9.5 seconds at full throttle to extend, little over 8 to retract.
     
    brenndatomu likes this.
  12. brenndatomu

    brenndatomu

    Joined:
    May 29, 2015
    Messages:
    25,160
    Likes Received:
    163,556
    Location:
    NE Ohio
    That appears to be a 16GPM pump...and if you have a 5" cyl with a 2" ram and 24" stoke, that calculates to 14.2 seconds, round trip.
    But that is just guessing on the cylinder specs...probably not too far off though.
     
  13. brenndatomu

    brenndatomu

    Joined:
    May 29, 2015
    Messages:
    25,160
    Likes Received:
    163,556
    Location:
    NE Ohio
    The Wood Wolverine likes this.