Hey guys, long time no see...... Well that time of year is creeping up on us so I decided to clean up the pellet stove this weekend. Got the wood burner all cleaned up and chimney swept last weekend. I decided to take the stove out of the cellar for the cleaning, I wanted to really clean it out. Very dusty in the cellar so I wanted to blow everything out and make sure the motors were free of dust as well. It's spotless and back in it's place waiting for some cold weather!!
hmmm......didja happen to clean out the fines container (maybe I am being picky)? Pretty nice job of cleaning the frontside of the stove..... 15 fin igniter, new door style, side baffles near the tray....fairly new unit, 1 year or two?
Yes I did clean the fines container, I actually clean that throughout the burning season as well. That sucker gets packed with fines!! And yes, I bought this last year. Do I need to apply some vent sealant to that joint where I separated it? It looked like it had a little on the bottom when I took it apart.
If you're talking about the pipe connection to the stove adapter, I use aluminum tape, that way I can get it apart.
I would seal it up with something. I have always used High temp RTV (500°) on the Pellet vent adapter. Stove looks great!! Awesome job getting it clean and ready! They say this winter will be another bad one Bring it on!! LOL
Yeah, I'm going to get some high temp latex sealant tomorrow. Just takes a razor knife to get this stuff off so not a big deal to do that once a year. I'm ready for another harsh winter, got plenty of pellets and 5 cords of wood!!! And thank you, took a few hours to get that baby to shine!
there is a brand of pipe available these days which makes a Harman adapter which allows you to actually bolt the pipe to the stove, giving a gasketed, positive connection, which is much better for future cleaning and service, than an RTV'd non-positively connected connection......its ICC pipe, but if you've used another brand, then, yea, you probably should seal it..... not a fan of a tape-only sealed connection, as tape does not seem to last all that long. Might be ok for the folks who are good about checking that stuff, but the mainstream public just isn't, so, I hate to recommend it here at all...