In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Refinishing some old ( antique ? ) saws

Discussion in 'Axes, Mauls, and Hand Saws' started by PatrickNY, Sep 24, 2023.

1. PatrickNY

PatrickNY

Picked up a couple more old saws today. ...& an extra blade. I wasn't really looking for them, but since I had done a search on Fbook marketplace previously, they keep sending me notifications. They were pretty close by and the price was right. I might hang one in the office at work. 600E7843-1CCD-49C1-A969-5ECC7B7938E4.jpeg C70C203D-5769-4979-BA31-596693AA6246.jpeg

2. buzz-saw

buzz-saw

Oh boy. someone got bitten by the saw bug didn’t he.

buZZsaw BRAD and metalcuttr like this.
  3. PatrickNY

PatrickNY

Yes, there's that, plus, I can't pass up a good deal. Not sure about the extra blade, but the other 2 saws I got today are Disston saws. E061AD77-5620-413C-B98F-C0542C711ECC.jpeg DE9FE86F-98C8-4949-AE80-9B111801ADAB.jpeg 0D5B863B-EA9D-4BAF-BB07-3621CD04D626.jpeg

4. buzz-saw

buzz-saw

Thats nice , the one I picked up has nothing on it as far as any mfg.

I did try to get back to the person you got in touch about a saw, but she never returned any calls after the first one.
    Thanks for keeping me in mind though.
    I have to go easy but if I ran across another at a good price I probably wouldn't say " No"

Looks great

5. PatrickNY

PatrickNY

Hey, Craig, That saw is still listed on FBook. I just sent her another message telling her you are still interested and I gave her your # again.

Edit: she just wrote back. She said she texted you and didn’t hear back from you…? Check your texts.

6. Warner

Warner

Spoke with the neighbor yesterday, he still has the saw. I’ll try to get over there this week to take some pics.

buzz-saw, metalcuttr and buZZsaw BRAD like this.
  7. buzz-saw

buzz-saw

great. When you get time. If you want to text pictures let me know and I can pm you my info. I appreciate it.

buZZsaw BRAD likes this.
  8. Warner

Warner

Unfortunately he called today saying he has looked all over the barn several times and can’t seem to find it. He said he might of given it away or his son grabbed it but he didn’t remember either and will keep looking. He also said “it’s tough getting old”. If it pops up I’ll let you know.

buzz-saw and buZZsaw BRAD like this.
  9. buzz-saw

buzz-saw

Thanks for trying. Much appreciated.

buZZsaw BRAD likes this.
  10. Earl764

Earl764

Replying to this old message because of the picture. Are these older saws worth anything or more for decor? Starting to clean out the old mans place and he’s got a couple like this and a couple other bits. I don’t want to chuck them if there’s a market or even if someone wanted them for free. In south western ct. better than pitching them to the metal recycler.

11. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Calling buzz-saw. He has a case of antique saw CAD

metalcuttr likes this.
  12. buzz-saw

buzz-saw

Most aren't worth all that much from what I see. Maybe there are some odd ones that are out there but more of wall art for me.

You are in Ct. ? Maybe if you are looking to get rid of them we could meet up.
    Would be glad to take them off your hands.
    Just another saw addiction for me.

shoot me a PM if you might want to get them out of there.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2023
    metalcuttr, Earl764 and buZZsaw BRAD like this.
  13. JiminyKicket

JiminyKicket

Backcountry firefighters still use them, but they have very specific criteria. Other than that it’s mostly decorative. They’re hardly worth anything, but definitely don’t toss them! If you can find someone like buzz-saw to take care of them personally that’s the route I’d go. You should post some pics!

14. PatrickNY

PatrickNY

What do the backcountry firefighters use them for Jiminy? I've never heard that before.
    ...and yes, Earl764 , post pics.

15. JiminyKicket

JiminyKicket

I don't know, but I assume it’s to control the path of fire. Maybe putting the trees on the ground makes it harder for the fire to spread? I’ve heard they use 5 foot felling saws, which are thinner than the bucking saws you usually see (like the ones pictured on this thread).

metalcuttr likes this.
  16. Warner

Warner

For cutting up wood:wacky:

Sorry couldn’t resist…

metalcuttr and MikeInMa like this.
  17. Swanman

Swanman

Not a backcountry firefighter, but I have used crosscuts in designated wilderness areas. I am part of a crew that does trail maintenance in the Bob Marshall Wilderness. I have a fondness for the simplicity of the hand tools and an appreciation for the men and women who used them and continue to use them. Around here, decent shape crosscuts go for $100-$200 or more. If I had the money 20 years ago, I should have bought all that I could for $20-$80. One of my most fun days this past year was dropping and bucking a bunch of trees next to the trail into our basecamp so that a string of pack mules could get in easier. We had a crew of high school kids to work with and they all gained valuable experience reading trees and logs. Everything happens slower until the tree commits. Don’t get me wrong, I love my chainsaws, but the unique opportunity to work in the wilderness is very special to me.