In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Inconclusive Alerts/new Posts Not Coming Across

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Support' started by basod, Sep 11, 2014.

  1. basod

    basod

    Joined:
    Nov 4, 2013
    Messages:
    5,048
    Likes Received:
    20,841
    Location:
    Mount Cheaha AL
    Just started experiencing this a couple days ago, I'm on wireless card so could be my end.
    Sometimes there are posts that have been replied to for hours, and when I click on the alert tab they are not there but the thread has been updated in the home view. It's sporadic, sometimes I get 8-10 alerts at once, sometimes I open a read forum and read new posts with multiple replies and no alert:loco: :crazy:
    Is/are the server(s) getting taxed a bit.

    I can help contribute if there are some equipment needs
     
    clemsonfor likes this.
  2. Grizzly Adam

    Grizzly Adam Guest

    Usually it's the the user missed an update, or in my case a new page had been started and I didn't click through to the new one. That means i didn't see the latest post, and so I don't get updates.
     
  3. basod

    basod

    Joined:
    Nov 4, 2013
    Messages:
    5,048
    Likes Received:
    20,841
    Location:
    Mount Cheaha AL
    see this reply came right through - could be my wireless card giving me issues
     
  4. clemsonfor

    clemsonfor

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,996
    Likes Received:
    37,478
    Location:
    Greenwood county SC
    I have had screwy stuff like that but I am reluctant to post it cause I am always told its how I use the forum.

    But yesterday I had a pm I was on the site so I saw the conversation popup. So I read it. We sent a few more each. An hour or two later an email came through to notify me of a previous message. I had already gotten one or two emails for later replies at that point.

    Maybe that is a gmail issue?

    But every other delay I get is said to be normal or what adam said by not having clicked an email or a thread earlier.
     
  5. Grizzly Adam

    Grizzly Adam Guest

    I get ones that are very delayed on occasion too, I also am using gmail. The majority of users experiencing this seem to be gmail users, I think it is on their end. Especially when I can see the email in my inbox on a PC but not on mobile.
     
  6. basod

    basod

    Joined:
    Nov 4, 2013
    Messages:
    5,048
    Likes Received:
    20,841
    Location:
    Mount Cheaha AL
    The NSA has to read them before they let them into your inbox:rofl: :lol:

    I think I sorted it out on my end, air card is freezing up no data transmission with near full 3G signal.
     
  7. Grizzly Adam

    Grizzly Adam Guest

    The thing is that you are so fast to blame every little glitch on the site, but we don't operate in a vacuum. Like yesterday, your smiley stopped dancing and it turned out it just didn't load and you had spotty service. I don't mind troubleshooting for you but please give it a few minutes in case it's a temporary issue and stop reporting odd thing that only happen when you have spotty service-- if you still have the issue when you get home and connect to wifi, I will look into it. As far as emails, I can see if they were sent or not. After that, it's out of my hands.
     
  8. clemsonfor

    clemsonfor

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,996
    Likes Received:
    37,478
    Location:
    Greenwood county SC
    I work near and drive by NSA headquarters down here:eek::eek:

    Maybe my proximity to them effects my service:D

    They got some mega satellite dishes outside of the bldg. And have a parking lot the size of a mall. I think they have 2-4k employees at that siteo_O

    Funny thing is every body that has access to the area knows what it is. But there is no signs out by the road like there being stealth or something. There is metal pipe structures that keep you from driving anything taller than like 9feet into the lot. Funny thing is if you google it ...it shows you right where it is:rofl: :lol:
     
  9. HDRock

    HDRock

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    17,262
    Likes Received:
    60,487
    Location:
    Grand Blanc, MI,
    That has been happening to me to lately, happened again just now, clicked on new posts, there's a new reply in a thread that I just put a reply in an hour ago, but no alert.
    I'm talking about alerts on the forum not email alerts.
    I check up on new post's and watched threads frequently because of this.
    It's not a real big deal but it is happening
     
  10. Grizzly Adam

    Grizzly Adam Guest

    And it wasn't on a new page of the thread?
     
  11. HDRock

    HDRock

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    17,262
    Likes Received:
    60,487
    Location:
    Grand Blanc, MI,
    What? :confused:
     
  12. HDRock

    HDRock

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    17,262
    Likes Received:
    60,487
    Location:
    Grand Blanc, MI,
    I just clicked on watched threads and three more popped up, Edit with there are no alerts for them
     
  13. HDRock

    HDRock

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    17,262
    Likes Received:
    60,487
    Location:
    Grand Blanc, MI,
    Could be this is happening when its real busy or something I don't know, I will try to make a note of that, I wouldn't get a headache over it if I were you:)
     
  14. Grizzly Adam

    Grizzly Adam Guest

    After 20 messages a thread starts a new page. Are you maybe not clicking onto the next page and that is why you don't receive alerts? Happens to me all the me all the time.
     
  15. HDRock

    HDRock

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    17,262
    Likes Received:
    60,487
    Location:
    Grand Blanc, MI,
    Nope
    1 alert I did not get from
    Red maple for supper
    my reply was at the top of the last page
     
  16. papadave

    papadave

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,181
    Likes Received:
    82,470
    Location:
    Right where I want to be.
    Not meaning to pile on here Grizz, but shouldn't there be an alert for new posts in a watched thread well before a new page starts?
    I mentioned this issue a while ago,.....maybe I worded the issue ungooder.
     
    HDRock likes this.
  17. Grizzly Adam

    Grizzly Adam Guest

    Yep, it should. BUT, if you don't read the latest post (by not clicking onto a new page that you may not be aware is there) you will not be notified of any further posts. If I don't get a notification, this has always been why.
     
  18. Grizzly Adam

    Grizzly Adam Guest

    OK, click on you alerts and go back to 4:31 (my time, central) and make sure that you didn't receive a notification the Dennis replied.
     
  19. HDRock

    HDRock

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    17,262
    Likes Received:
    60,487
    Location:
    Grand Blanc, MI,
    absolutely that will happen but that is not the case here tonight and intermittently
     
  20. Grizzly Adam

    Grizzly Adam Guest

    Yep, sure doesn't seem to be. Was trying to explain it to Dave.