In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

What's up today (bullchiting) thread.

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by Gasifier, Oct 6, 2013.

1. lukem

lukem

Installed the drawer on the desks this morning. I don't mind doing things that are tedious or things that are repetitive, but tedious and repetitive kills me. 10 drawers is both.

All that is left to do is a little touching up on the finish and install them. Ready for them to be out of the shop.

4 more days of work and it's off to the beach for a week, then come back and start hunting deer.

2. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

I'm sorry Larry

Ohio, Horkn, savemoney and 5 others like this.
  3. EODMSgt

EODMSgt

When you want to try something different from the usual repertoire of bear meat recipes.

Black bear meat (ground), bacon, spinach, and green onion quiche. Came out pretty dang good.

20230918_190524.jpg

4. bogieb

bogieb

House insurance premium went up 40% over last year. I have been with the same local insurance company for over 35 years (between my last house and this one). I get comparison quotes every couple of years and the current company always wins out. They also have treated me well when I've had a claim. But I also got squeamish with the company when I went in last year to add my solar panels and they didn't have a match. The closest thing was "solar tiles" which is a different type of roof. The addition did not add to the total amount the house is insured for, so that is not the the reason the premium went up as much as it did.

I started the process of getting a new quote from another company last month. The quote then was competitive, if just a few more $$ from last years premium from my current company. I have asked the competing company to requote (it's been over a month, plus I wanted a couple of changes).
    Is this the year I change my home insurance company and agent? Stay tuned for the cliff hanging finale :rofl: :lol:

Horkn, wildwest, savemoney and 5 others like this.
  5. yooperdave

yooperdave

Sounds like it. There's not a discount for loyalty.

My insurance man (dead now) told me decades ago that it is wise to switch companies every few years and get the lower introductory rates offered and once they begin going up, switch again. Applied to claim free policies.

bogieb, Horkn, wildwest and 4 others like this.
  6. savemoney

savemoney

I think my VA gives excellent care. I could have gone to the nearest civilian hospital, but I feel the VA does a much better job. They are not rushed and will use all tools available to diagnose and treat as warranted. I'm a retired Rn and have emergency room experience. I retired from the VA. I honestly can say I can trust my health with them. The reason I was in the ER so long was they were monitoring my heart and didn't want to send me away until I was stable. If I became reasonably stable, they would allow me to go home. If not, then they would admit me. I have already had two follow up calls from the VA about my status and appointments this week with my cardiac MD.

7. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Once I heard it called "the creep". Every year price goes up and after 10 years is way too much compared to other places. The recommended changing every couple years and no more than 5 years.

8. Ohio

Ohio

Picked the better part of a 5 gallon bucket of persimmons to put on front of my deer blind. Plenty of twigs and leaves in there too. I put the money persimmons on top.

0919231726.jpg

9. Horkn

Horkn

Didn't want to like that. We're here for you though

10. Horkn

Horkn

This is true for many things, cell phone carriers, internet providers, cable/ streaming services and some even do that with significant others.o_O:rofl: :lol:

Last edited: Sep 19, 2023
  11. lukem

lukem

PXL_20230918_193316368.jpg PXL_20230918_193310767.jpg Desks loaded on the trailer and ready to install tomorrow. Hopefully it goes smooth. Same folks have already ordered more stuff after seeing the desks...reception desk and some cabinetry. About the same size project as the desks.

Chvymn99, Erik B, eatonpcat and 11 others like this.
  12. Woodwidow

Woodwidow

Port McNeill, BC Northern Vancouver Island
    Nice!!!!

13. bogieb

bogieb

Well, that is not strictly true, especially for small, local companies. Unless you live in NH, I can almost guarantee you've never heard of the company I currently go thru, and they have been cheaper than any competitor's introductory rate for decades. This year is different. I questioned the rise in rate. Besides the economy, NH had a lot of homes damaged from the snowstorm/power outage last Feb, plus a lot of damage from all the rain this summer (even if not flood damage - trees falling on structures). As a smaller company, they can't absorb all those payouts without doing something.

I don't think the recommendation is necessarily to "change" insurances, but to get comparison quotes at least every 5 years - and ideally every couple of years. I do shop around every couple of years and they have been as cheap, or cheaper every time until now.

14. bogieb

bogieb

Beautiful!

15. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

You do good work!

16. Stephiedoll

Stephiedoll

Nice work on the desks lukem . I bet pictures do not do them justice.

17. yooperdave

yooperdave

:makeitrain" :rootintootin: :makeitrain"

Chvymn99, wildwest, savemoney and 2 others like this.
  18. savemoney

savemoney

You sure have a skill for wood working. Impressive.

19. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

What do you do with them?

Backwoods Savage, Chvymn99 and Ohio like this.
  20. FarmerJ

FarmerJ

In Minnesota that would be considered baiting.

Backwoods Savage, Erik B and wildwest like this.