In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Splitting for 9.7.2014

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by thewoodlands, Sep 6, 2014.

  1. bogydave

    bogydave

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    10,313
    Likes Received:
    37,218
    Location:
    Alaska, North of Anchorage & South of Fairbanks
    You have to be close to a 5 year supply.
    Keep CSS'ing, your stacks should last almost forever :)
     
    thewoodlands likes this.
  2. clemsonfor

    clemsonfor

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,996
    Likes Received:
    37,478
    Location:
    Greenwood county SC
    We use pine needles for mulch and landscaping here in the south. In your flower beds too look nice and keep the weeds down.

    Good long leaf pine needles are $5 a bale. Bales are smaller than straw bales. Maybe 80-90% of the size.
     
    Shawn Curry likes this.
  3. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,983
    Likes Received:
    312,170
    Location:
    Central MI
    Pine needles do work nice in the trails and also wood chips if you get a chance to get some.
     
    Shawn Curry likes this.
  4. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    I never did get out today, felt like chit from about noon on, we'll see what tomorrow brings.
     
  5. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    I think we might have it, the new stacking area will hold two more stacks, each 16 feet long.

    If I can get some trail clearing done real quick, I might be able to start cutting again.

    I would go for another two cord, it's been a good year for cutting.
     
    Backwoods Savage and Shawn Curry like this.
  6. Shawn Curry

    Shawn Curry

    Joined:
    Jul 31, 2014
    Messages:
    3,755
    Likes Received:
    22,702
    Location:
    Western NY
    Yeah I wanted to use wood chips too. I picked up a little 8hp chipper off of CL for $200 something. What a joke that thing is. Runs great, and the guy even ran a couple branches through. After I got it home I realized it would probably take me an entire weekend just to get through the pile of 1" branches from a single tree. I even sharpened it, but it didn't make much of a difference. Sending that thing back to CL land shortly. Need to buy or rent a real one.
     
  7. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,983
    Likes Received:
    312,170
    Location:
    Central MI
    Zap, I hope you are feeling better today.
     
  8. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    Much better Sav, I think it was my sinuses. I did do one load of Pine needles then I grabbed a load of Maple from up top so I could finish this stack.
     

    Attached Files:

  9. basod

    basod

    Joined:
    Nov 4, 2013
    Messages:
    5,048
    Likes Received:
    20,841
    Location:
    Mount Cheaha AL
    Zap have no idea what that stump is, but a slab of it would make a nice looking door warming gift, with a name carved/burned into it.
    The stacks are coming together nicely...as always:thumbs:
     
  10. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    I'll be splitting the rounds from that stump, that should tell me if it's Elm or not.

    How thick should the slab be? I did plan on pulling the stump so a piece off it is possible.
     
    Shawn Curry likes this.
  11. basod

    basod

    Joined:
    Nov 4, 2013
    Messages:
    5,048
    Likes Received:
    20,841
    Location:
    Mount Cheaha AL
    If you're pulling the stump whole I have no idea how thick.
    If you wrap the cookie in some waxed craft paper should limit the checking, it's hit/miss with most of them
     
    thewoodlands likes this.
  12. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    basod likes this.
  13. basod

    basod

    Joined:
    Nov 4, 2013
    Messages:
    5,048
    Likes Received:
    20,841
    Location:
    Mount Cheaha AL
    clemsonfor likes this.
  14. Shawn Curry

    Shawn Curry

    Joined:
    Jul 31, 2014
    Messages:
    3,755
    Likes Received:
    22,702
    Location:
    Western NY
    "How thick" depends on the application. End grain "cookies" are very weak. Something like a sign should see minimal impact, as long as you don't drop it. Stump wood makes some of the coolest lumber though.

    I used wood burning on my road sign for the house. Used some tracing paper to copy the original, and transfer paper to plot it onto the new one.
    image.jpg image.jpg
     
  15. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    Did you draw your own letters on or did you transfer lettering off a sheet of paper from the computer on the wood, if so, how?

    I think that I'll try this.
    http://blog.theswankeeyankee.com/2012/05/24/diy-wood-burned-sign/
     
  16. Shawn Curry

    Shawn Curry

    Joined:
    Jul 31, 2014
    Messages:
    3,755
    Likes Received:
    22,702
    Location:
    Western NY
    I traced most of it from the original sign, because I wanted to keep the same look. I lifted the bird design and all the numbers from the original, using tracing paper, with one side taped onto the original sign with blue painters tape. I used a second 1/2 sheet for the letters, so that I could re-position and center the lettering. That was mostly traced as well - the "R" came directly from the original, and the "C" and "U" were adapted from the original "O". The "Y" was the only "freehand" letter; but doing it on the tracing paper first let me draw/erase/redraw it, until it looked right. Once I had the lettering done, I aligned the two tracings and taped them together, and then used carbon transfer paper to transfer it onto the new sign. Once it was on the new sign, I just traced around and filled it in with the wood burning pen.

    If you can find a full size font lettering that you like, you could use the same sort of process. Woodworking specialty places also have sign lettering templates, but the font options may be more limited there.

    [EDIT] Basically the same process that you linked to. If you don't already have a high-end paint program to get the lettering from, there is a free one called "GIMP" that's very powerful. Actually MS Paint could do the job too; both would at least let you use the 100's of TrueType fonts already available on your PC.
     
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2014
    basod, papadave and clemsonfor like this.
  17. basod

    basod

    Joined:
    Nov 4, 2013
    Messages:
    5,048
    Likes Received:
    20,841
    Location:
    Mount Cheaha AL
    Back when I was into wood burning(the art) mostly used stencils or free hand drawn directly on the wood.
    MS Paint will create thousands of fonts - you can scale letters print and transfer, a near endless free source.
    It's even more fun to do burned inlays - get good with a scalpel then burn
     
    Shawn Curry likes this.
  18. clemsonfor

    clemsonfor

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,996
    Likes Received:
    37,478
    Location:
    Greenwood county SC
    Id never draw anything. I write and draw like a 10 year old.