In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Wood Hauler build

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by Kevin in Ohio, Jun 11, 2023.

1. Kevin in Ohio

Kevin in Ohio

[​IMG]

Cutting at my Dad's and neighbors getting dead stuff and blow downs. kept cutting and hauling while it was dry and figured I'd stockpile the to be split stuff for a rainy day thing.

[​IMG]

We had a longer than normal dry spell so I was starting to get myself painted in a corner. Stacks are 8 ft high here.

[​IMG]

I had final stacked the smaller rounds and used my rack system so I have no end ricking to do. I will add a few on out that will require that but I'll get the bulk in first.

[​IMG]

Splitting inside and using the winch lift saves my back on the bigger stuff. max diameter I can get in with it is 5 ft. Lifting it from behind here.

[​IMG]

Swing it around and lower it to the wedge.

[​IMG]

Split the slides and swing the tables out for room. I also leave it hanging on the tongs in the air on the bigger ones. Just another place to store chunks till you get pieces whittled down.

[​IMG]

Everything I had in there is now split and stacked. Final stacks are 8 1/2 ft high, what I can reach.

[​IMG]

Mostly beech and ash but have some elm, oak and walnut in there too.

2. Kevin in Ohio

Kevin in Ohio

[​IMG]

That whole block is solid all the way back.

[​IMG]

This splitter makes quick work of it. I have a 4 way wedge for it but don't use it. Creates too much trash and odd sracking pieces for my taste. I get a lot of crotch and knots so you have to be careful not to create more oddball stuff.

[​IMG]

On the outside of the racks.

[​IMG]

After cleaning up after every session ended up with a pretty big truckload of dust, bark and debris.

[​IMG]

Sure will be nice to push the button and watch all this get pushed out. LOL. Total amount of wood in the stack as of now figures out to 26.5 cord.

3. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

Wow! With all that splitter trash Kevin in Ohio, I'm surprised you haven’t built a presto-log press to make some bio bricks!!!

metalcuttr, Chaz, JimBear and 5 others like this.
  4. Kevin in Ohio

Kevin in Ohio

I "give back" to the woods. LOL

5. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

My mind went to the exact same place. :thumbs:

Awesome hoard Kevin!

metalcuttr, Chaz and brenndatomu like this.
  6. Kevin in Ohio

Kevin in Ohio

Been plugging away on filling my storage up. Truck has been flawless and makes it so much nicer to unload.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is smaller than I normally load but pull rope broke on the 028 so I just picked up what I had cut up. Normally always take my smaller trim saw, Stihl 192C, but waiting on a fuel hose that cracked. Did 2 loads today anyway so I was ready to quit. Drank 3 gallons of water. LOL

[​IMG]

This bay of the barn is now full

[​IMG]

Backside view of it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Other side is close. Got the end rick done and just 3 more cross ricks to go. Going to fill in between the 2 sides in the back as well as I want to store either the truck or tractor in there. getting there!

7. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Now those pics make me want to see the build thread for the laser guided stacking device that you have obviously made for yourself! :jaw: :stacker: :thumbs:

8. Kevin in Ohio

Kevin in Ohio

These stacks will set for at least 2 years and are 8 1/2 ft high. Even with slight lean in they will move out from experience so I try to get them right. Once this side is finished I will use a cable on it like I did the other side. With My racks, I only have to have 2 end ricks which is nice. Just have access to a lot of CLOSE dead ash now and getting it while it's still good. In 3 or 4 years, it will all be punky and wasted from laying on the ground. Neighbor is very happy as I made him some nice trails through his woods and even chipped the brush from it.

9. fuelrod

fuelrod

Do you have a clever system to get the wood to your boiler?
    You definitely have "cleverness"
    oozing out of your other firewood harvesting projects. :yes:

10. Kevin in Ohio

Kevin in Ohio

My Boiler is in a building that will store enough wood for the year if packed tight. I made a walk in door and one to unload a truck into.

[​IMG]

Now that I have the new hauler I won't have to step up into the bed to unload. It'll always be off the tailgate end.

[​IMG]

To save steps I used a cheap pull cart till the gear went bad, then beefed it up using parts from a junked riding mower. Made side extensions for unloading/moving then take them off to run smaller loads to feed the boiler.

[​IMG]

It holds quite a bit and doessn't take long to unload using it.

metalcuttr, Chaz, Buttermilk and 11 others like this.
  11. tamarack

tamarack

That's a beastly wood hauling machine!! You are very skilled Kevin.

metalcuttr, Chaz, Buttermilk and 4 others like this.
  12. Kevin in Ohio

Kevin in Ohio

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Getting closer to getting what I want in the barn. 3 or 4 more loads to go! Truck is working great.

13. Haftacut

Haftacut

You definitely don’t leave much in the woods:thumbs: Love the hauler and the book ends in the barn! Appeals to my ocd side!

eatonpcat, Chaz and brenndatomu like this.
  14. Kevin in Ohio

Kevin in Ohio

Thanks. I hate to see it go to waste. LOL

15. Buttermilk

Buttermilk

Wish we lived closer to each other. I believe we could build some awesome things together. You do fine work. I have a nice shop just not enough time to get the things done I want to.

eatonpcat, Kevin in Ohio and Chaz like this.
  16. Kevin in Ohio

Kevin in Ohio

[​IMG]

Probably split 4 -5 cord today and loaded this load to stack in the barn.

[​IMG]

This load will finish what I want to store in there. This is all dead ash.

[​IMG]

I want to be able to store a vehicle in the barn with the rolling door so I have about 5 ricks out from the back. Stacks are 8.5 ft high and it figures out to 63.3 cord in there.

[​IMG]

With Ash weighing 4,200 lbs/cord that's 265,000lbs plus in there. There is a fair amount of beech, some oak and elm which are all heavier so that is a light measurement. LOL Handled it all at least twice so a 1/2 million pound workout. Filling the furnace house now and about 4 more loads will have that where I want it for the Winter.