In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Let's see those bikes

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Interests' started by Smokinpiney, Oct 4, 2013.

1. Woodpusherpro

Woodpusherpro

You're right. I stopped at a truck stop/Mcds and a younger guy walks in after I have my meal. He sits at a table two over and has a helmet. I said hi and he did too. I ate my meal and waited till he was done, and as I walked out I asked what he was riding. Africa Twin. Idk what that is, but we talked for 15 or twenty minutes, but I told him what I have (poor little ol drz400) and he says yea he saw it, he's parked next to me. He asked if I rode in the area and took my number, even though he knows I'm fairly new to highway/traffic riding (but I feel skilled for my miles and ride inside mylimits and watch traffic like a hawk) . Anyways I go out there and this kid has a $18k bike next to my scooter. It made mine feel like it had training wheels, but talking to him, he was interested why I got what I got, and told me about getting his.

TLDR: So far, biker community has been just about as friendly as the firewood/Chainsaw community.

Sirchopsalot, ole, Ronaldo and 5 others like this.
  2. ole

ole

I bet this lady is wishing she wore gloves in about two seconds

IMG_3883.jpeg

Sirchopsalot, Ronaldo and brenndatomu like this.
  3. ole

ole

4. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

New steering bearings worked loose so I needed a new lock “washer”. 2 tabs broke off. They were weak on reassembly so I should have know better.
    6A6E3C8C-34FB-4714-AE1E-736531168B3B.jpeg 70BEA632-DDCA-4E2E-9218-CDBDDBCB4E7B.jpeg

Woodpusherpro, ole and brenndatomu like this.
  5. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Loose steering bearings...hate em!
    Some days it seemed like half the bikes that come into the shop had loose steering head bearings, tires low on air, and carbs half plugged up...but it was only there for a battery, or maybe chain/sprockets (cuz the teeth were gone!) :hair:
    Don't be runnin my bill up with all this other fluff you tryin to add on! :rofl: :lol:

6. ole

ole

I can’t count how many bikes I have ridden needing a serious clutch play adjustment

My buddies would ask me the next day what did you do to my ride?

“it’s so much better”

(pre hydro clutch/master cylinder days)

7. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

I replaced the ball bearings with tapered rollers, then after a ride or two, I dig back in to readjust. That’s the point those locking tabs got weak. Thought they may hold but no dice.
    Oh yeah, been there soooo many times. Here some of the best ones:
    Chain's fine..
    IMG_3983.JPG

This guy came in and I found this:
    P140916_13.38.jpg P140916_13.38_[01].jpg DSC04747.JPG

Rear wheel was significantly misaligned. Couldn't let it go..

Typical electrical repair:
    P270716_16.00.jpg

Dayglo duct tape. :rofl: :lol:

Nope... wasn't in for a lever replacement. o_O
    20170223_153955.jpg

It was completely broken off.. and duct taped back on. Bike shop boss gave me an old lever he had laying around and replaced it for him no charge.

I could go on and on.

8. ole

ole

another peeve of mine is guys plugging a front bike tire and then don’t buy a new tire!
    I’ve done it to get me home then buy a new tire immediately

that front tire is your life pal

9. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Yup, I've done it with out even thinking to ask if it was ok...had one time I found out it was that way on purpose, due to small hands...:emb:

10. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

Internal plug patches are a lifetime of the tire repair. I've put them in mine and a friends tires.
    IMG_5461.JPG
    IMG_5462.JPG

I'm picky in that I get the same brand glue as patch.
    IMG_7295.JPG IMG_7296.JPG IMG_7297.JPG IMG_7298~photo.JPG IMG_7299~photo.JPG

11. JiminyKicket

JiminyKicket

I have an Africa Twin. The guy I bought it from is a local legend—he teaches courses on how to outfit ADV bikes. He’s in his 60s and has ridden 100x more miles on and off pavement than I ever will. I asked why he’s selling it and he said he’s moving down to a 300cc bike to focus more on offroad. My last bike was a 125cc scooter, and before that a 900cc bike. Size really doesn’t matter, and most seasoned bikers know that and appreciate the value of all different kinds of bikes.

12. Woodpusherpro

Woodpusherpro

You sound very knowledgable and I will be asking you some querstions..... if I can afford the hourly rate.

The Wood Wolverine likes this.
  13. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

So the discussion we had a while ago about lithium batteries..

My 2018 Simplicity mower died. Got that 4 yr old WPS battery out and jump started it.
    FE8EB6A9-2BB4-43DB-B63E-CD1C0D09A360.jpeg

Started right up. The original battery crapped out so I mounted the lightweight in its place. Holy cow, what a difference! The engine in this mower used to crank for at least 20-30 seconds before it started. I thought it needed a valve adjust. Since putting this battery in, it lights off within about 1-2 revolutions of the crank! So back into service it goes. :yes:
    BB789788-7F47-4BDE-AB55-FD5E2BA27697.jpeg

14. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

Well shoot.. between me the guys here I’m sure we can help out almost any situation you have. I spent 4 seasons turning wrenches at a motorcycle shop and learned a ton from the owner and the other guy that was the detail tech. Was without a doubt the best “job” I’ve ever had.

15. Woodpusherpro

Woodpusherpro

Well, I just got a Twin Air brand Air filter, and a JD Jetting kit. The word is these bikes have a restricted snorkel in the air box that restricts flow so badly, that when you open the box with a 3" by 3" cut at the top, you must rejet the carb.

Never done this so

This is for emissions from the factory, ant the 3x3 mod and rejet nets better throttle response and a small amount of power.

Here's the easy:
    Changed out the skidplate on my DRZ-400. The new one weighs 2 pounds more, but seems to be more protective. It fit very well, and doesn't appear to be a fit all bike generic. Enduro Engineering is the manufacturer.

New in plastic:
    [​IMG]

Old vs new
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The scale
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

Skid plate looks like a no-brainer mod to me. :yes: First thing I would do is check out the DRZ forums/groups and see how others have set the carb up.

17. Jeffrey Svoboda

Jeffrey Svoboda

Enduro Engineering is good stuff. Do you offroad much? What type of terrain/trails?

18. Woodpusherpro

Woodpusherpro

I live on a ranch, sandy loam and a couple creeks with several crossings. But... I've got over a thousand miles on this bike since I got it a few weeks ago, been riding rock roads, dirt roads, slightly muddy roads( I need more skills), highway and city. It has been so much fun, but most really do not watch well for bikes, and you must stay coherent and aware, you can't be complacent for a moment.

19. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Yup, and dual sport bikes are even easier to miss than a street bike...

Eric Wanderweg and Woodpusherpro like this.
  20. Woodpusherpro

Woodpusherpro

Yea... I'll admit a black bike was not the best choice, especially for a novice. It does have a decent light to alert folks, and there is an easy LED upgrade available.

However, it seems like the responsibility of not getting killed on a motorcycle falls on on the rider...