In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

15/16 moose camp wood:

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by bogydave, Sep 8, 2014.

  1. bogydave

    bogydave

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    10,313
    Likes Received:
    37,218
    Location:
    Alaska, North of Anchorage & South of Fairbanks
    I feel like Zap,
    I'm cutting trees off the trails we put in & dragging them to camp for firewood. :)
    Lots & lots of down trees, some solid, but most are punky.
    Using a Dennis style dray to drag them to camp then css.
    Hope to be done with most of the noisy chainsaw work , now we can start hunting.
    Splitting is a good moose call. :)

    DSCF3601.JPG

    DSCF3594.JPG

    DSCF3598.JPG
     
    NYCountry, Gark, Drvn4wood and 11 others like this.
  2. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,979
    Likes Received:
    312,157
    Location:
    Central MI
    Nice Dave. Wish I was there to enjoy it with you.
     
    Stinny and HDRock like this.
  3. papadave

    papadave

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,181
    Likes Received:
    82,470
    Location:
    Right where I want to be.
    Dedication to what you love.......perfect.
    Good luck on the hunt......you need another set of antlers for the shed.:thumbs:
     
    NYCountry, Gark, Stinny and 1 other person like this.
  4. Chvymn99

    Chvymn99 Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    21,482
    Likes Received:
    113,756
    Location:
    KC Metro
    :yes:.... Good Luck on the Moose.... Firewood looking good!
     
    NYCountry and HDRock like this.
  5. schlot

    schlot

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    5,256
    Likes Received:
    30,504
    Location:
    NW Iowa
    Nice job....but i didnt know moose liked to camp. :)
     
  6. papadave

    papadave

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,181
    Likes Received:
    82,470
    Location:
    Right where I want to be.
    Must be an Alaska thing.
    Bullwinkle prolly camped.
     
  7. My IS heats my home

    My IS heats my home

    Joined:
    Dec 1, 2013
    Messages:
    7,394
    Likes Received:
    17,655
    Location:
    Albany, NH
    I like the skidder sled :)
     
    Backwoods Savage, Stinny and papadave like this.
  8. HDRock

    HDRock

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    17,262
    Likes Received:
    60,487
    Location:
    Grand Blanc, MI,
    Nice set up , it's work but fun .
    It will all be gooder when the moose is on the dinner plates , moose is good stuff
     
    Backwoods Savage likes this.
  9. papadave

    papadave

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,181
    Likes Received:
    82,470
    Location:
    Right where I want to be.
    Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I could use something like that @ my SIL's in certain situations.
    Taste like chicken?:D
     
  10. schlot

    schlot

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    5,256
    Likes Received:
    30,504
    Location:
    NW Iowa
    BIG chicken!
     
    HDRock likes this.
  11. bogydave

    bogydave

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    10,313
    Likes Received:
    37,218
    Location:
    Alaska, North of Anchorage & South of Fairbanks
    Real good tasting "Gigantic" chicken with horns. LOL :
    DSCF3593.JPG Ms cmp dray.JPG
     
  12. HDRock

    HDRock

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    17,262
    Likes Received:
    60,487
    Location:
    Grand Blanc, MI,
    Gark and Backwoods Savage like this.
  13. bogydave

    bogydave

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    10,313
    Likes Received:
    37,218
    Location:
    Alaska, North of Anchorage & South of Fairbanks
    Plan to make one similar for cutting in Oct.
    It works well, can haul more & keep the wood cleaner.

    Moose camp area is more level than the wood cutting area,
    I'm hoping I can make one that'll work on uneven ground.
     
  14. Locust Post

    Locust Post

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    8,950
    Likes Received:
    52,503
    Location:
    N. E. OH
    We'll be waiting for pics of the action and of course the mountains in the background
     
    My IS heats my home likes this.
  15. HDRock

    HDRock

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    17,262
    Likes Received:
    60,487
    Location:
    Grand Blanc, MI,
    Taller skids ,I guess would be better
     
  16. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    Looks good GIBIR, have fun.
     
  17. fishingpol

    fishingpol

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    6,502
    Likes Received:
    39,646
    Location:
    Merrimack Valley, Ma.
    Is that a massive burl in the second picture, just left of center?

    Nice job, proper and all.
     
  18. bogydave

    bogydave

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    10,313
    Likes Received:
    37,218
    Location:
    Alaska, North of Anchorage & South of Fairbanks
    Not so sure ,
    this one I used 2"x3"s & 3/4" plywood , rolling the bigger green logs up 4" & on is tough without a cant hook.

    Have thought about some way to make fold down side 2x4s (2 each side) for ramps & also hold the logs on when folded up.
    Maybe a heavy duty hinge then bungee them in the up position. ?
    Only need to be 18" or so.
     
    Stinny, papadave, basod and 2 others like this.
  19. mdavlee

    mdavlee

    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2013
    Messages:
    4,380
    Likes Received:
    10,479
    Looking good.
     
  20. bogydave

    bogydave

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    10,313
    Likes Received:
    37,218
    Location:
    Alaska, North of Anchorage & South of Fairbanks
    Yea
    I've seen 20 or 30 burls in this area. More than any woods I can remember.
    Some neat looking ones. Not sure why so many in this area.

    Have thought about getting a couple but then how to load & haul back in a jon boat.

    Maybe cut in the summer, gps/flag them, go back in during winter with a snow machine & sled to get them out.

    Being in the middle of nowhere, up a shallow slough, with no bridges or roads, make getting them out a challenge.

    A " Bridge to nowhere " becomes a "bridge to somewhere" only after it's built. :zip:
    :)
     
    papadave, basod, HDRock and 2 others like this.