In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Firewood tractors

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by D2082, Mar 1, 2015.

1. MasterMech

MasterMech The Mechanical Moderator

CanAm was in early too. Two passengers, itty bitty bed, meant to GO. Rotax power!

T.Jeff Veal, HoneyFuzz and Horkn like this.
  2. MasterMech

Mule has been around longer. 1989 I believe, the original Gator's were 1992. There was the AMT600/622/626 before that, and if you think an old Gator was slow.... :sleeping: At least they were tough!

Original Gator's were 15 MPH, bumped up to 18 MPH somewhere in the late 90's. HPX series was 25 MPH IIRC, then came the XUV's with 30MPH and 45MPH+.

3. MasterMech

How recent is the China thing? Gators have been Horicon Works (Wisconsin) since day 1. I don't think I care much for the XUV 500 series vs their bigger cousins and the Traditional Series, but they were still Horicon machines.

Two years for the Buck ATVs. 2005 & 2006. PO'd a LOT of dealers with that one. Hyped them up, sold a few, then exited the market immediately. Totally a new segment for Deere, haven't sold anything "powersports" since the snowmobiles in the 1970's.

My Grandpa had a Buck 650. He's not here anymore but that ATV still is. Lot's of good memories of riding his old Honda's with him when I was little.

T.Jeff Veal, HoneyFuzz and Horkn like this.
  4. Lehman

Lehman

Maybe it’s just the engine then because I know people were complaining about the the xuv 825i I think. It was the 825i that guys were having engine issues with and that particular engine was Chinese made by Chery. So sorry my bad was just the engine

T.Jeff Veal, Screwloose and Horkn like this.
  5. MasterMech

That engine has been a pretty solid performer overall. Sure was a step up from the durable, but un-competitive Kawasaki V-Twin that was in the 625i. They've been using it for better than a decade now, and it survived the model refresh to the 835e/m/r. That's not usually how it happens with a problem engine. If they can't kill them in cars built for Aisa and South America, I doubt the Gator presents durability challenges. Still, I always liked the Yanmar powered 855D if speed wasn't a top concern. (Still a 30MPH machine)

6. Lehman

Lehman

Maybe was just the first run and it’s ironed out now but I did read a bunch of guys having head issues and injection problems. But this could have also been self induced like so many issues you hear about. Neighbor had an issue with his 1025 r even but luckily was still under warranty. Not his or the engines issue was a design flaw that’s been changed. His had the air filter bolted to the valve cover, vibrating cracked and broke a chunk out of cover allowing the engine to loose its oil and have metal chunks fall into it. He got a new engine and the updated filter mount location so good as new now.

Screwloose likes this.
  7. Lehman

Lehman

Weren’t the original gators based off the 5 wheel utility units of the late 80’s or early 90’s. Can’t imagine a single steer tire like a three wheeler turning 4 wheels with a box behind it very well.

HoneyFuzz and Screwloose like this.
  8. Barcroftb

Barcroftb

Yep based off the 5 wheel AMT which also predated the Kawasaki Mule that came out in ‘88. You could argue that Deere changed the AMT to compete with the Mule, but I think I remember there being internal chatter at Deere about forming a relationship with Kawasaki in that segment. Makes sense since they already had familiarity with the engines.

HoneyFuzz and Screwloose like this.
  9. MasterMech

Actually, the AMT turned pretty decent unless it was loaded completely wonky. Both the 6x4 Gator and the AMT have extremely low ground pressure on the drive tires so that helps with steering, and both were pretty much straight-line machines with the differentials locked.

The original Gator platform shares very little with the AMT. The 4x2 models used a similar one-lung Kawasaki for power, and both platforms are based around a belt-drive CVT with a centrifugal clutch. The 6x4's engine is actually very similar to the engine used on the Mule 2510 from that time. But that's about where the similarities end. The Gator was (and the Traditional Series still is) a unibody type frame which is pretty unique in the segment. It was hella stiff as I can remember 6x4's lifting the front ends off the ground once the limits of articulation for the front suspension had been exceeded. AMT's were based on a square-tube frame if memory serves but I'll admit this a dark and dusty corner of my memory for sure. I can personally attest to how much wanton abuse a Gator unibody can take :whistle:, enough that would easily destroy an AMT frame.

As far as the Gator competing with the Mule, in some markets, yes. But while the AMT was primarily designed to meet the needs of animal agriculture, the Gator was a turf and grounds vehicle first and foremost. The Mule, especially the 2510, was an off-road utility vehicle that arguably was far more versatile as it found homes with everyone from agriculture/land owners to security guards.

The AMT was too slow for golf courses and many municipal park crews, and some of the sub-systems were not the greatest. (Brakes? Who needs 'em? :dex::picard:)

The Gator (especially 6x4) was able to safely carry far more payload than the Mule and do it over delicate turf without leaving so much as a tire track behind. I still haven't seen anything that can match a 6x4 Gator in this regard. It also was near gravity reliable and had far fewer maintenance needs than a Mule, especially the 4x4 models. The Gator's flat-bottomed unibody was also it's Achilles heel when it came to mud and snow. Ground clearance was less than spectacular and so it would turn into a sled if the wheels sank into the surface more than bout 6" or so. In the woods, a Mule was a far nimbler and more capable machine with its intake snorkels, 4x4, roll cage, and full suspension. But even unloaded, a Mule would shred soft ground and leave ruts.

10. GrJfer

GrJfer

Little work on a dead fall at the neighbors today.
    PXL_20230107_170634928.jpg PXL_20230107_164237025.jpg

11. Shawn.54

Shawn.54

No pics I don’t take my phone to the woods unless I go alone. My son was with me and running the tractor he decided to take a shortcut by turning left at the cattails and swamped it. And he would not photograph his handy work for me it took a 100 + hp tractor to pull it out. Thank God for neighbors. The floorboards were 4”off the ground when he came to a stop. 4218C29A-46DC-43A6-BECE-91908B70F531.jpeg That’s over center on the 13.6-28 tires some lessons were learned that day and I even keep my cool. Going to have to make a point of talking phone to document my adventures in wood scrounging and tree cutting.
    Shawn

12. Ohio

Ohio

Was digging through old pics and ran across my old hay rig. If I recall correctly it was a 1963 model year, 4.9 straight six. It sucked down gas like crazy but it put out out decent power. I went with the tricycle front because it was a good price. I would have preferred a wide front. It had 8 forward gears and 3 reverse. I could have driven to town in high reverse, no idea why anyone would want to go that fast in reverse.

IMAG4050.jpg

IMAG3981.jpg

This was a new Holland haybine the chevron were just about gone, picked it up real cheap, used it for years am and sold it for 200 less than I bought it for.

IMAG4408.jpg

Massey number 9, super reliable baler.
    IMAG4258.jpg

IMAG3800.jpg

IMAG4109.jpg

View from on top of the forage king bale basket. Good for a one man show. Get 120 in the basket, pull it into the barn then dump then go back for more. Makes a mess dumping but better than paying sombody who ain't going to show anyhow.

IMAG4257.jpg

I had this taken apart near Youngstown and placed on a trailer and put it back together alone in a dangerous fashion. Do not recommend.

IMAG4042.jpg

IMAG4043.jpg

These are absolutely awesome.

IMAG4249.jpg

IMAG4250.jpg

I still have the 4100, its a decent little tractor and just keeps going.
    IMAG4647.jpg

IMAG4125.jpg

4 basket tedder. IMAG4114.jpg

My old dog Ruckus. He would sit in the barn and come out to the field every so often to make sure I was still around.
    IMAG4235.jpg

Sold all of it and moved to a hilly area and had no use for the equipment. Sometimes I miss it most of the time I don't. Lot of work.

Attached Files:

13. MasterMech

4010 Gasser - Thirsty! Still like the sound of those inline sixes workin' hard.

14. Ohio

Ohio

I think I recall it drinking 7 to 8 gallons an hour depending on what I was doing. I never needed more power than it made. I paid 3500 for it and the closest diesel 90+ HP tractor was well over 8000 for something run down. JD 4020 is much more sought after than the 4010. I have an 89 f150 with the 4.9 inline 6, sounds more like a tractor than a truck.

15. MasterMech

Wow - you could fly (literally, small airplanes burn 5-6+ an hour) with that kind of fuel consumption!

True in most cases but Dad and I have a soft spot for one particular 4010. This one's an oil-burner tho and she's wearing a few 4020 parts plus some choice bits from the M&W catalog. :dremel: :tractor:

ADF71CD3-902D-4DAE-9857-EB83A06A2DFE.jpeg

16. Ohio

Ohio

Going vertical with some locust. Had a spare 1/3 cord added it to the tops of two stacks. Deere 4100 doing the lifting.

0124231613_Film2.jpg

17. gwoods71

gwoods71

Dad's 4036R, he has me beat by about 60 years IMG_3525.jpg

18. Ron T

Ron T

Had mine out yesterday. 20230513_124757.jpg 20230514_104138.jpg 20230514_094743.jpg

19. RCBS

RCBS

20. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

Loaded a little white oak today. 0515231236.jpg 0515231240a.jpg 0515231300_HDR.jpg