In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Stacking Done / 9.6.2014

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by thewoodlands, Sep 6, 2014.

  1. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    The pile (pic 9935 ) is mostly Beech with Sugar Maple that was c/s this spring. I started stacking in a light mist, then the heavy chit moved in so once I was soaked, I decided to finish it.

    I think tomorrow will be a day of splitting and stacking the rest of the Beech, the Sugar Maple will need splitting.
     

    Attached Files:

  2. basod

    basod

    Joined:
    Nov 4, 2013
    Messages:
    5,048
    Likes Received:
    20,841
    Location:
    Mount Cheaha AL
    Looking good Zap.
    How long do you get out of the 2x4's directly on the ground?
     
    thewoodlands likes this.
  3. HoneyFuzz

    HoneyFuzz

    Joined:
    Jan 20, 2014
    Messages:
    4,490
    Likes Received:
    14,862
    Location:
    Northeast , Ohio
    Beautiful !
     
    papadave and thewoodlands like this.
  4. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    I think we started stacking wood in 2008, we've never replaced one, but they're pressure treated.
     
    Backwoods Savage, basod and Stinny like this.
  5. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    I have that general area a wood mess, I'm hoping by the end of next week it will look a lot better.

    I think this stacking area will hold around 4 to 5 cord of wood by the time I'm done.
     
    HoneyFuzz and papadave like this.
  6. papadave

    papadave

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,181
    Likes Received:
    82,470
    Location:
    Right where I want to be.
    That single split looked lonely. Glad you added some of his friends to keep him company.:D
     
    basod, Stinny, dylskee and 2 others like this.
  7. Fanatical1

    Fanatical1

    Joined:
    Feb 10, 2014
    Messages:
    2,688
    Likes Received:
    12,293
    Location:
    Ohio
    Stacks look really nice. Ton of wood you have in just that one area already. :cool:

    I also stack on treated lumber for the most part. I started putting some small rounds under the lumber to lift it up a little higher now because I notice my lumber sinking in the ground a little more than I like over time.

    Your stacks look great though!
     
  8. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    His friends will keep him company when he goes in the Liberty too.
     
    Stinny, papadave and Locust Post like this.
  9. Locust Post

    Locust Post

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    8,950
    Likes Received:
    52,503
    Location:
    N. E. OH
    I've got maybe a 1/2 cord to split and stack, that will be just about right so I can start cutting again. Closing the pool today, but not before I took the pooch for a swim this morning. :thumbs:
     
  10. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    I use either pine needles or wood chips under the 2x4's, the area I'm stacking in runs up on the back 2 x 4 so I raise the front 2 x 4 so it's close to level.
     
    Backwoods Savage and Fanatical1 like this.
  11. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    The weather should be nice for cutting, it's only in the low 60's here. If it stops raining I might head back out.
     
    Backwoods Savage and papadave like this.
  12. Locust Post

    Locust Post

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    8,950
    Likes Received:
    52,503
    Location:
    N. E. OH
    78º here this morning and in the last couple hours it has dropped to 66º. Steady light rain now, got all the lines blown out and antifreeze in but still need to get the winter cover on if it stops raining. Won't be long till it's time to move the wood to the patio. Hope you can make it back out Zap.
     
    My IS heats my home likes this.
  13. dylskee

    dylskee

    Joined:
    Oct 5, 2013
    Messages:
    497
    Likes Received:
    1,870
    Location:
    Central MA
    Stacks look great!! Looks like you got plenty of wood there.

    I would kill for some cooler weather here! About 87° with high humidity today, can't do much outside at all! I just put a solar powered light in the shed to make it a little easier to shack the wood in the winter...
     
  14. My IS heats my home

    My IS heats my home

    Joined:
    Dec 1, 2013
    Messages:
    7,394
    Likes Received:
    17,655
    Location:
    Albany, NH
    Nice work area Zap. Nice to see your summers wood getting a place for drying.
    Just out of curiosity, do your stacks tend to lean after the initial drying begins?
     
  15. Shawn Curry

    Shawn Curry

    Joined:
    Jul 31, 2014
    Messages:
    3,755
    Likes Received:
    22,702
    Location:
    Western NY
    Looking good. Turned into a nice day for working outside - nothing like last weekend.

    I'm doing some cutting myself before it gets too wet; trying to refill my "log storage" area so I have some stuff to split over the winter, to break up the cabin fever.
     
    Locust Post and thewoodlands like this.
  16. Well Seasoned

    Well Seasoned Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,038
    Likes Received:
    83,789
    Location:
    N.H. WMNF
    Good work Zap! You kicked azz this summer, love the pics every week! :) Heavy chit moving in here in the next hour...... cloud to ground lightening, winds up to 70mph, and hail poss up to 1". Hope my paint is dry enough! :axe:
     
    Backwoods Savage likes this.
  17. Jack Straw

    Jack Straw

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    8,402
    Likes Received:
    52,443
    Location:
    30 miles west of Albany Ny
    How do you do it in this weather? The dew point here was 70. :eek:
     
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2014
    Backwoods Savage and Stinny like this.
  18. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    If I didn't have the trail work, I would be going after another three cord. I'll pick up some good wood from the trail clearing but most of it is chit.

    We'll be sledding to break our cabin fever.
     
    Backwoods Savage and Shawn Curry like this.
  19. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    Thanks W.S., I see all the bad weather, stay safe. I think mother nature is waiting until I clear two more trails before we get hit, hope your paint is dry.
     
    Well Seasoned likes this.
  20. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    The temp was 63...Dew Point of 62 with the Humidity of 82 % but it was raining so hard it felt great.