Another one i drive by all the time and recently noticed the end cuts from some pruning. Is this osage orange? Bark reminds me of it. If not then what is it? Poorer quality pics from zooming. Its right down the street from me.
I do believe that’s another Chinese chestnut Brad. You can see some of last year’s burs still hanging in the canopy. Edit: could be Japanese chestnut too. They tend to fork off and sprawl out right above ground level like that. I’m 100% sure it’s Asian chestnut either way.
Dang! Wish full thinking on my part. Seems i can find the oriental ones, just not the American chestnut. One of these years ill find one. Osage that is.
There is a small American chestnut sprout near the road a couple driveways down from your storage area. I spotted it when I got that load of elm from you a year and a half ago. I noticed a couple Chinese trees on that road too, maybe this tree is one I saw before. No Osage in my CT travels yet. Then again, I’m not really looking for them. Look for mulberry bark with oval leaves that have a drawn out point to them. Better yet, spotting the “monkey balls” if they’re ripe would be even more helpful.
This tree is down the street from me right where i turn to go to Wallingford. Caught my eye last week. Not that im really looking either.