In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Mystree ID

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by buZZsaw BRAD, Mar 10, 2023.

  1. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,761
    Likes Received:
    214,997
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut
    Another one i drive by all the time and recently noticed the end cuts from some pruning.
    Is this osage orange? Bark reminds me of it. If not then what is it? Poorer quality pics from zooming. IMG_2805.JPG IMG_2806.JPG IMG_2807.JPG IMG_2808.JPG Its right down the street from me.
     
  2. Eric Wanderweg

    Eric Wanderweg

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2020
    Messages:
    8,556
    Likes Received:
    67,789
    Location:
    Bristol, Connecticut
    I do believe that’s another Chinese chestnut Brad. You can see some of last year’s burs still hanging in the canopy. Edit: could be Japanese chestnut too. They tend to fork off and sprawl out right above ground level like that. I’m 100% sure it’s Asian chestnut either way.
     
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2023
  3. JimBear

    JimBear

    Joined:
    Aug 9, 2020
    Messages:
    3,608
    Likes Received:
    22,217
    Location:
    Iowa
    The wood color is slightly similar but the bark & limbs don’t appear to be Osage.
     
  4. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,761
    Likes Received:
    214,997
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut
    Dang! Wish full thinking on my part. Seems i can find the oriental ones, just not the American chestnut.
    One of these years ill find one. Osage that is.
     
  5. Eric Wanderweg

    Eric Wanderweg

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2020
    Messages:
    8,556
    Likes Received:
    67,789
    Location:
    Bristol, Connecticut
    There is a small American chestnut sprout near the road a couple driveways down from your storage area. :) I spotted it when I got that load of elm from you a year and a half ago. I noticed a couple Chinese trees on that road too, maybe this tree is one I saw before.
    No Osage in my CT travels yet. Then again, I’m not really looking for them. Look for mulberry bark with oval leaves that have a drawn out point to them. Better yet, spotting the “monkey balls” if they’re ripe would be even more helpful.
     
  6. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,761
    Likes Received:
    214,997
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut
    This tree is down the street from me right where i turn to go to Wallingford. Caught my eye last week. Not that im really looking either.
     
    Backwoods Savage likes this.