In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

What's up today (bullchiting) thread.

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by Gasifier, Oct 6, 2013.

1. yooperdave

yooperdave

We want the video!!!!!

Horkn, NortheastAl, wildwest and 2 others like this.
  2. Gasifier

Gasifier

:eek: And you were going to do the plunge too. Weren’t you?

Horkn, NortheastAl, wildwest and 4 others like this.
  3. Lennyzx11

Lennyzx11

Their talking about postponing here on the southern border of Vermont also.
    It seems like July is getting the highest votes for the rescheduled date!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Horkn, savemoney, NortheastAl and 8 others like this.
  4. bogieb

bogieb

I pick up all that stuff and put them in a bucket I save smaller scrap metal in and eventually they go to the metal dumpster at the transfer station for recycling. Yeah, stupid since they can't possibly add up to much. But I got into the habit as I was demo'ing parts of the house where I was filling a pail with nails and screws from the sheetrock, crown moulding and occasional pieces of lumber. That ensured that I accounted for all of them instead of throwing toward the container that I was using for the smaller pieces of sheetrock and having them bounce out. Also, part of the reason for separating them was that I pay by the pound to get rid of demo material at the dump. Back when every penny counted (as opposed to now, when every other penny counts ;)), it was a way to keep the charge to a minimum.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2023
    Horkn, savemoney, NortheastAl and 6 others like this.
  5. TrinitySouth99

TrinitySouth99

I don't think there is one,

Horkn, NortheastAl, wildwest and 3 others like this.
  6. Lennyzx11

Lennyzx11

I just had to laugh at myself.
    I had ran out of gas mix in my 2ea 1 gallon jugs and finally ran down to get refilled. Usually, I dump a little bottle of mix in each one before going to station because of being afraid of "straight gassin" something.
    But I didn't this time as I had some 1 qt stuff that I'd caught on a good sale.

So short story. I ran down, filled cans, immediately went into shop and dumped the required amount in one empty little bottle for measuring and dumped er in. First one down. Grabbed 2nd can to "swish" the residue out of the little bottle into the can.
    Done it that way for 20-25 years now i guess.
    Then when I went to repeat for 2nd can, I dumped it in, went to swish the bottle and the gas can gas looked like straight gas. Did I mix myself up and dump both measures in the same can?
    I pondered and pondered. Thinking how do I make sure that enough is in both cans without going too rich or too lean. 30:1 vs 60:1, etc etc.
    Thought on it a while as there had to be a mathematical way to solve this puzzle.

Then it hit me. I took another empty can (5 gallon) and dumped em both in it, swished it around good and back into the two little cans it went.
    The moral of the story?
    Don't overthink it Lenny and pay attention to what you're doing!

[​IMG]

7. lukem

lukem

Got the barn loft decked last night...just need to find a longer extension cord to cut the wild edges and that project is done. Barn is pretty much done until I order overhead doors. I have a couple fans to put up too but I'm not in a hurry for that in this weather.

Next project starts this weekend...building a reverse osmosis maple syrup rig.

8. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

:thumbs:

9. bogieb

bogieb

And I have hot water again. Was impressed that they put in an OAK, which means it draws in the combustion air from the outside instead of the inside. Pellet heads will know ;). Need to get a little stand to get the stuff off the floor and more organized, but that is minor.

combi boiler installed.jpg

Won't lie, sad to see them go as they served me well the 9 years I've been here. That water heater was awesome as power could have gone out for days and it would have still supplied hot water (no electricity used for that one at all). Not that I've had power go out for very long, but is a consideration. But most of the hurt is in the check I wrote :emptywallet:
    shipping out.jpg

Now there is a ton of room. Once I get the gaps in the raised floor covered, The rack of "stuff" that was where the new combi unit is now, will go in that corner where the chimney is.

old equipment out.jpg

I may look at taking that chimney out at some point. At the very least, tho top is in rough shape so would need to be taken down a couple of layers and capped. But removing the whole thing would give me a bunch more room in the kitchen and there is a 2" gap between it and the framing all the way around, so getting that hole plugged in the roof, and attic would probably be loads better than the insulation I stuffed in there (the former owners just left those gaps wide open :faint:). But, the cost may not justify having a complete knock down, especially with having to redo that portion of the standing seam roof.

Eh, whatever, I'm just ecstatic to have a hot shower and wash my hair!

10. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Congratulations bogieb removing the log chimney isn’t hard just long and slow. I used hammer, chisel and old newspaper delivery bag to carry bricks. You can resell bricks about 10 cents apiece.

Horkn, bogieb, wildwest and 7 others like this.
  11. Gasifier

Gasifier

VERY NICE!:thumbs:

12. yooperdave

yooperdave

Are you referring to the PVC pipe that draws intake air for that sealed combustion boiler as the OAK?

I've never thought of calling that an OAK before, but......I guess it sorta is in a way. Just realized that I installed thousands of OAK's then! :D

I want to caution you about the PVC pipes for that unit as to where they are located on the outside of your building. I'm sure the installers placed them high enough above "anticipated" snow level, but you do have to keep an eye on them to make sure they are never blocked with snow. We would always put extensions on them to gain the required height above snow level.....kin of like looking at a snorkel made of PVC.

Even with that, some of the exhaust and intake pipes do still get plugged up during storms.

Horkn, bogieb, wildwest and 5 others like this.
  13. yooperdave

yooperdave

14. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

15. savemoney

savemoney

16. JD Guy

JD Guy

Nice clean install, well done:D

17. Sourwood

Sourwood

Finally got title issues worked out on the NART Ridgeline and visited the BMV. Painless and friendly staff- so He#@ must have frozen.

split up the final seven big rounds of the dead ash, that had to look at when looking out any back window. Have a little supply for the boiler and set aside a half rick as fireplace wood. Didn’t run the saw as much as expected. Wanted to get those rounds out of sight and put to the use God intended.

18. lukem

lukem

Windy. Power just went out. Grr.

Horkn, NortheastAl, savemoney and 6 others like this.
  19. lukem

lukem

Well it wasn't the wind. My BIL works for the water company and got called out for an emergency locate... Somebody sawed off a pole with their car.

Horkn, NortheastAl, JD Guy and 7 others like this.
  20. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Is this electric or lp or ng?

Horkn, NortheastAl, savemoney and 4 others like this.